• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Battle of the Branches

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Not much "battling of the branches" going on here. Let me try and get something started. I submit to you, that the Marine Corps, while most people aren't aware of its elite "air arm", puts its air assets to use in the most effective way. The Navy is close, but the Marine Corps leads the way as usual, not only on the ground first to fight, but also in the air. Marine aviators are in the fight, supporting the ground element closer than any other services air elements. It is no accident that Marine aviators are first trained in infantry skills and tactics. What other branch can boast that their aviators can quite easily assume the role of a ground commander? I can't fathom a Navy, Air Force, or Army pilot trying to relate to and lead a bunch of infantrymen hungry to get some in ground combat at close range with enemy forces. So in sum, Marine Corps aviation is leading from the front keeping with tradition since 1917; which by the way is a handful of decades before the Air Force was even a twinkle in anyone's eye. :icon_smil

fartthoughtste1.jpg

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Not much "battling of the branches" going on here. Let me try and get something started. I submit to you, that the Marine Corps, while most people aren't aware of its elite "air arm", puts its air assets to use in the most effective way. The Navy is close, but the Marine Corps leads the way as usual, not only on the ground first to fight, but also in the air. Marine aviators are in the fight, supporting the ground element closer than any other services air elements. It is no accident that Marine aviators are first trained in infantry skills and tactics. What other branch can boast that their aviators can quite easily assume the role of a ground commander? I can't fathom a Navy, Air Force, or Army pilot trying to relate to and lead a bunch of infantrymen hungry to get some in ground combat at close range with enemy forces. So in sum, Marine Corps aviation is leading from the front keeping with tradition since 1917; which by the way is a handful of decades before the Air Force was even a twinkle in anyone's eye. :icon_smil

I thought this was supposed to be a joke thread. In a way it is, FlyMike, oh master of unintentional irony.

I am a Marine, and an aviator, and I'll submit your premise is rubbish. The Marine Corps is good, probably the best, at what it does, but it is very specialized. Like you say, we, or rather I and my fellow aviators and aircrew, do a great job of supporting ground forces. That's like comparing a decathelete against a sprinter. We can't even get more than a couple of aircraft to a fight without either Navy shipping support or USAF tanker support.

Both of those players have much broader responsibilities in their air components than our measly 6 functions of Marine aviation. We aren't doing strategic reconnaisance, strategic deterrence, or really anything above the operational level of war. This isn't a shortcoming of Marine air, just a statement of fact. There's a much bigger world out there than that provisional platoon commander business they dish out to you at TBS.

As far as this aviator leading troops business, before you criticize a Navy pilot for not leading grunt Marines, go drive a damn ship for awhile. He's in the fvcking Navy--why would you expect him to be prepared to lead ground troops? As far as the Army pilots, they generally live closer to the ground troops than our pilots do. And why should an Air Force pilot be prepared to lead troops as a ground commander at all--there are no line USAF ground troops (not counting IAs, specops, airmen shanghaied into convoy ops, etc.).

I know you're moto and all, but step back and look at the big purple team we have here. Those other branches are equally capable as the Marines at WHAT THEY'RE SUPPOSED TO DO. Bitching that they're not Marines is like bitching at Tiger Woods at the fact he can't block a linebacker.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
......etc, etc, etc ....

^ Excellent perspective on Marine Aviation, phrog.

After reading FlyMike's posts, I can only wish that it were possible to wake up every morning and be as "wise" as a 20-something Marine 2/LT ... maybe someday .... :)

subTidal

So in sum, Marine Corps aviation is leading from the front keeping with tradition since 1917; which by the way is a handful of decades before the Air Force was even a twinkle in anyone's eye. :icon_smil

Wrong :icon_hamm. The air force has been around since 1907, when it was called the Aeronautical Division, U.S. Signal Corps. They went through 5 other name changes until 1947, when they changed their name to U.S. Air Force.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Wow, I sure struck a chord with the 46 pilot. Sir, WADR, the overarching category for the thread was "Aviation and Military Humor". The healthy "sibling rivalry" piece. I fully understand the limited nature of the elements of Marine aviation and the fact that we would not be successful at what we do unless the other branches are excelling at what they do. I suppose you are an only child, and do not understand sibling rivalry. You should know that you have to have thick skin, especially in the Marine Corps. I am surprised that my post offended you, can't you just play along? Semper Fidelis Marine.

Offended, no. I thought the joke in "The Aristocrats" was acceptable for children. Taken aback by a ludricrous premise, yes. If it was a joke for "aviation and military humor," it wasn't funny. If it was a statement of fact, it wasn't factual. Simple as that.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Wow, I sure struck a chord ...where are your senses of humor? Is that something that degrades with old age?
Don't sweat it ... nobody is "mad".

I just hope you live a long and happy life in order to acquire the up-tick in "wisdom" that comes with "old age" ... even as your sense of humor is going the other direction, in confirmation of your query ... :)

FlyMikeFly

Happiness is Vectored Thrust
pilot
Contributor
I must apologize to all of you for my previous comments. I was out of line and am fully aware of how inappropriate my comments were. I have a great deal of respect for all of the pilots and aspiring pilots on this site.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Don't sweat it ... nobody is "mad".
I just hope you live a long and happy life in order to acquire the up-tick in "wisdom" that comes with "old age" ... even as your sense of humor is going the other direction, in confirmation of your query ... :)

Actually, think it is just the effect of mommy breast milk that has not yet worn off. Couple more year, all will be well.:eek::eek:

HueyCobra8151

pilot
So what have we learned?

Marines are dumb...I mean caveman dumb
sailors are gay (...I mean village people gay)
airmen are super-pogues
soldiers are wannabee Marines
coasties ride around in dinghies all day

Does that about sum up every possible joke anyone could possibly make on this thread, so to speak?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wrong :icon_hamm. The air force has been around since 1907, when it was called the Aeronautical Division, U.S. Signal Corps. They went through 5 other name changes until 1947, when they changed their name to U.S. Air Force.

Wrong!:icon_rage Even the Air Farce doesn't promote 1907 as it's founding. The Aeronautics Division was a Division of the Signal Corp, US Army. That is twice removed for the parent service, the Army. Hardly an independent organization. It was not a department in the War Department. Even when they first adopted the name Air Force, they were still part of the US Army. Give me a break. The official anniversary sets the age of the Chair Force at 60 years old. The Air Force will always be the junior military service, in more ways then just years.

navybackseater

None
So what have we learned?

Marines are dumb...I mean caveman dumb
sailors are gay (...I mean village people gay)
airmen are super-pogues
soldiers are wannabee Marines
coasties ride around in dinghies all day

Does that about sum up every possible joke anyone could possibly make on this thread, so to speak?

yes, I guess it does since no one seems to want to share their sense of humor-

as for me, I'm going to go out and play in traffic for getting this infernal thread started in the first place!

I guess all the guys with a sense of humor dont' have computers