• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Baby on the way!

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
I have three kids and we are looking at adopting #4 to even out the girl/boy ratio. So here is my cut.

#1. Make your wife feel like a queen; ask what she wants and then give it to her. Best if you can do things without her having to ask.

#2. Keep your mouth shut if your wife is complaining; she has every right to complain and have you listen quetly. This applies for all pregnancy related problems but is iron-clad in the delivery room.

#3. Her body is going to get big and she won't like it. One of the reasons you married her is that she is beautiful; tell her sincerely and often.

#4. Get a book called Babywise, you will get good sleep after 3 monhs at the latest.

#5. I hate this one but it is true. You have forfeited your rights to sit down for long periods of time. Whether you are getting something for your wife or baby or both, sweetie gets to sit with baby and you get to do things for them. This is why I can't remember how I lived without Tevo: TEVO GOOD!

Like everyone else, enjoy every minute of it. There is nothing better than having kids.

Country Boy

Proud Father
RockyMtnNFO said:
I have three kids and we are looking at adopting #4 to even out the girl/boy ratio. So here is my cut.

#1. Make your wife feel like a queen; ask what she wants and then give it to her. Best if you can do things without her having to ask.

#2. Keep your mouth shut if your wife is complaining; she has every right to complain and have you listen quetly. This applies for all pregnancy related problems but is iron-clad in the delivery room.

#3. Her body is going to get big and she won't like it. One of the reasons you married her is that she is beautiful; tell her sincerely and often.

#4. Get a book called Babywise, you will get good sleep after 3 monhs at the latest.

#5. I hate this one but it is true. You have forfeited your rights to sit down for long periods of time. Whether you are getting something for your wife or baby or both, sweetie gets to sit with baby and you get to do things for them. This is why I can't remember how I lived without Tevo: TEVO GOOD!

Like everyone else, enjoy every minute of it. There is nothing better than having kids.
Thanks for the great advice, although I must say that my wife enjoyed it quite a bit more than I did :)

cast-n-blast

Enjoy them while they're tiny & take lots of pictures, because they'll never be that small again. I've got 2 boys, one that's almost 5 and one that's three mos. and they are the best thing that's ever happened to me. Just a taste of things to come and what you can look foreward to...

p.s. I'm hoping to get prorecd for BDCP SNA this cycle.

Attachments

• dadio250percent.JPG
    dadio250percent.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 60
  • familysmall.JPG
    familysmall.JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 72

JenFisher03

Having a baby is awesome! I have an 11 month old boy. The first three months are kinda hard, but it gets much better from there. (sleep being the main factor in that)

My advice for before the baby comes is to enjoy "couple" time. That goes away pretty quickly. Go see a lot of movies and whatever else you enjoy doing. We still get out a lot with the baby, but not as much by ourselves. Try to make the time to have just couple time after the baby comes. It is important!!

My advice with the sleep topic (which may be controversial) is to let them learn to put themselves to sleep. Starting around 3 1/2 months, we would put our son down in his bed awake. The first few nights, he would cry for a little bit. If it went on too long, we went in to get him and comfort him. We made sure that he wasn't dirty (diaper) or hungry, then we put him back down. It takes a little while, but it has saved us. Now, we can put him down to sleep, and he has no problems! Some people don't agree with this method so it might not be for you. :)

If you have any questions just pm me....I'd be glad to help!!

jenny

kelly

D_macs Wife
I could not agree with you more, about letting them put themselves to sleep!!! Great point.
kelly

Couldn't agree more with letting them put themselves to sleep. Our kids were sleeping on their own at 2 months, just by all means DO NOT GO INTO THEIR ROOM FOR THE FIRST 15 MINUTES. Then after you check them after 15 make it 30, also check them and if nothing is wrong lay them down and leave.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
homepictures361.jpg

wasnt born in Texas but is a Texan all the way

cast-n-blast

redmariner97 said:
Couldn't agree more with letting them put themselves to sleep. Our kids were sleeping on their own at 2 months, just by all means DO NOT GO INTO THEIR ROOM FOR THE FIRST 15 MINUTES. Then after you check them after 15 make it 30, also check them and if nothing is wrong lay them down and leave.

I'm sorry, but I disagree about letting them cry to sleep. You ever hear that song about "let them be little, let them sleep in the middle." I'm a believer that they cry because they want to be close to you (see infant psychological and sociological attachment). We tried the "let him sleep on his own" thing with our first and this time we just take the extra time & our second is sooooo much easier! I regret not doing it more with our first.

IRfly

None
I'm a pretty new dad myself (June 22nd), so I'm not going to try to give much advice as I'm bumbling my way through things myself. Here's my $.02, though.

My wife had a c-section and so within about 3 minutes after the baby was born I was sitting in the nursery alone holding him. After the fairly loud and hectic 14 hours of labor that preceded this moment, it was a dramatic change of pace. They had dimmed the lights in the nursery, so his eyes were open and he was taking in his new surroundings (including me, which was probably the only thing he could actually see). Sitting there, looking at him, and feeling happy, lost, and inadequate all at the same time, everything else in the world (politics, school, job, career, money) seemed awfully small and petty.

Just one bit of advice: if your mother-in-law comes to kind of "help out" your wife after birth, make sure she's gone after a week or two after your wife and baby come home :icon_rage .....

NukeWife

Smiling like I mean it
cast-n-blast said:
I'm sorry, but I disagree about letting them cry to sleep. You ever hear that song about "let them be little, let them sleep in the middle." I'm a believer that they cry because they want to be close to you (see infant psychological and sociological attachment). We tried the "let him sleep on his own" thing with our first and this time we just take the extra time & our second is sooooo much easier! I regret not doing it more with our first.

No crying it out in this house, either. If the baby cries, pick him up!

Congrats, Country Boy :) We have 2 little nukes-in-training (3 yr old girl and 17 month old boy.)

NukeWife

Smiling like I mean it
IRfly said:
Just one bit of advice: if your mother-in-law comes to kind of "help out" your wife after birth, make sure she's gone after a week or two after your wife and baby come home :icon_rage .....

Big agreement here! Take it easy with the visitors for the first several weeks- you guys will need time to yourselves to get used to being your own little family.