• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviation Uniforms and Customs for the new ENS

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
That's still the case in Primary, in Meridian everything was done in bags unless you really fucked something away and ended up standing duty as punishment.

Lots of good gouge on here. To add to it, down the road when you show up to a new squadron talk to the bros ahead and get the gouge on patches, since some squadrons have unwritten rules about shoulder patches especially (i.e. cracking down on non-Navy patches, not rating T/M/S patches until you solo or NATOPS check, etc.)

Also, I would recommend spending a little more money on a nice pair of leather oxfords, and not the Bates that are ridiculously overpriced for what you get.

Farva01

BKR
pilot
So this is where I show my age and grumpiness of things that are my pet peeves:

1. Ball caps. I hate them. I haven't outright banned them in the ready room, but everyone knows I am not a fan. I did require garrison covers for CoC.
  2. Patches and velcro. Dress like a professional. Flight suit should not have holes or frayed rank. Velcro should match patch (wrong shape patches on mismatched velcro, especially the stupid generic square velcro patches on air force flight suits). Squadron patches only. Only non-squadron patches allowed on the right shoulder are graduate level patches (WTI/TPS). I very rarely wear my adversary patch anymore. Save you XXXX hour patch/or stupid school patch for your winnebago flight jacket.
  3. Sweat stains on garrison covers. You wouldn't wear a T-shirt out like that. They cost 7 bucks. They can also be washed.
  4. Boots. Put polish on them. Don't expect them to gleam, but if your boots are white, you are doing it wrong.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Sweat stains on garrison covers. You wouldn't wear a T-shirt out like that. They cost 7 bucks. They can also be washed.
Pro tip: wash 'em unfolded, and if cotton* iron it twice, once unfolded and once folded.

*regs call for cotton... if it matters to those around you

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Patches and velcro.
This reminds me of what's really my only flight suit pet peeve:

Tattered shoulder flag patches. These are a bit like old, actual flags from XYZ deployment or flags that were flying during some important event. I always thought it's weird when guys keep wearing a threadbare, unserviceable shoulder flag patch- if it has that much sentimental value then display it on your "I love me" wall at home, retire it, or do something otherwise appropriate with it. You wouldn't fly a tattered flag out front of your house or your squadron...

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
Old fart chiming in here. Commissioned out of AOCS in May '76, winged in Kingsville July '77. From the time I started flight training at Saufley to the time I retired we wore flight suits on base if we were flying that day.....or if we felt like it. Ball caps with the flight suit, or with khakis, if you felt like it. Dips in the cover if you felt like it, which most did. Patches as you preferred. Unpolished boots made you a salty veteran. PI belt buckles with khakis unless there was an inspection, and those really only happened in the training command. You were issued the leather jacket (for me, at AOCS) so you wore it when it got below your selected coldness threshold, if you felt like it, wings or not. No one ever questioned your choices or ridiculed something you wore. Admittedly, things were different and happened faster then. I finished the A-7 RAG and was must-pumped to my fleet squadron in the Med and made 4 months of cruise before I made LTJG. I think I was a salty frocked LT before I had more than three days off in a row without flying. Timing is everything and I fortunately hit everything at the right time. Thought I'd share for just a little comparison of how things change through the years.

TF7325

pilot
Contributor
That's still the case in Primary, in Meridian everything was done in bags unless you really fucked something away and ended up standing duty as punishment.

Lots of good gouge on here. To add to it, down the road when you show up to a new squadron talk to the bros ahead and get the gouge on patches, since some squadrons have unwritten rules about shoulder patches especially (i.e. cracking down on non-Navy patches, not rating T/M/S patches until you solo or NATOPS check, etc.)

Also, I would recommend spending a little more money on a nice pair of leather oxfords, and not the Bates that are ridiculously overpriced for what you get.
Who made your oxfords if you don’t mind me asking?

taxi1

pilot
Overheard an instructor to an SNA back in the day, "...and put some cornrows in that neck hair"

D

Deleted member 24525

Wear your leather jacket
(anyone giving you a hard time is either an ensign that doesn’t know shit, or an asshole....and nobody gives a shit what either of them think)

Dip your cover
Wear your brown shoes and khaki socks
Don’t be a douche.

that’s about it.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Old fart chiming in here. Commissioned out of AOCS in May '76, winged in Kingsville July '77. From the time I started flight training at Saufley to the time I retired we wore flight suits on base if we were flying that day.....or if we felt like it. Ball caps with the flight suit, or with khakis, if you felt like it. Dips in the cover if you felt like it, which most did. Patches as you preferred. Unpolished boots made you a salty veteran. PI belt buckles with khakis unless there was an inspection, and those really only happened in the training command. You were issued the leather jacket (for me, at AOCS) so you wore it when it got below your selected coldness threshold, if you felt like it, wings or not. No one ever questioned your choices or ridiculed something you wore. Admittedly, things were different and happened faster then. I finished the A-7 RAG and was must-pumped to my fleet squadron in the Med and made 4 months of cruise before I made LTJG. I think I was a salty frocked LT before I had more than three days off in a row without flying. Timing is everything and I fortunately hit everything at the right time. Thought I'd share for just a little comparison of how things change through the years.

Yup. That way throughout the majority of my time too.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Who made your oxfords if you don’t mind me asking?

I went with these. Super comfortable and look way better.

If anyone gives you any grief you can tactfully show them the regs. No where in there does it say "you shall wear Bates and only Bates"...