• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviation Uniforms and Customs for the new ENS

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
A bit down the flight line, I do think the gray flight suit idea had merit. Shame it never went anywhere besides JOPA bullshitting.
The gray flight suit was definitely the official shit hot for several years. We had them made summer of 2014 for Tailhook before a certain CO, who I'm sure you're familiar with, told us we couldn't wear them at Hook because he was concerned CAG would get angry at him if we were in shit hots. At Tailhook. (Still boggles my mind to this day).

Anyways, I know it lasted through several more iterations of front office, but they might have gone back to the green embroidered recently.

Renegade One

None
Shit Hots...the true ones...were well and truly a WESTPAC thing, I think. I know the USAF guys in Thailand got 'em made during the VN era, and the tailors outside the gate took great care of the Cubi Point and Clark Air Base squadrons. "Party suits" may have started with the Thailand/RP-based USAF guys for all I know. I'm sure the Korea-based guys got them made in that timeframe as well. Generally some inexpensive cotton or polyester fabric, squadron specific color, individually tailored all tricked out/embroidered with whatever was the squadron norm. Our yellow SHs in VF-111 also sported "Rising Sun" red and white rays in the flares exposed by zippers on the lower calves. VF-51's were red with three vertical white stripes on the left, Intruder squadron had bright green suits, yada yada yada. Very cool...at the time. The closure of the Philippine bases drove a big stake thru the heart of that for the Navy, I guess. Never really remember seeing them during my east coast/Oceana time, but not really sure. Not sure if it lives on in the AF or not.

Truth be told, the very most "shit hot Shit Hots" I ever saw were sported by the E-1 det (VAW-111 Det 11) on my CORAL SEA cruises first half of the 70s. Basically white flight suit designs with the reverse Confederate flag striping (V on the chest, around waist and leg seams, with names and wings embroidered in gold) like Evel Knievel used to wear. Man, they really caught everyone's attention when the walked into the Cubi O'Club for "end-of-line period" parties. Sadly, I never captured those in a photo, but this will give you the essential idea:25901

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Shit Hots...the true ones...were well and truly a WESTPAC thing, I think. I know the USAF guys in Thailand got 'em made during the VN era, and the tailors outside the gate took great care of the Cubi Point and Clark Air Base squadrons. "Party suits" may have started with the Thailand/RP-based USAF guys for all I know. I'm sure the Korea-based guys got them made in that timeframe as well. Generally some inexpensive cotton or polyester fabric, squadron specific color, individually tailored all tricked out/embroidered with whatever was the squadron norm. Our yellow SHs in VF-111 also sported "Rising Sun" red and white rays in the flares exposed by zippers on the lower calves. VF-51's were red with three vertical white stripes on the left, Intruder squadron had bright green suits, yada yada yada. Very cool...at the time. The closure of the Philippine bases drove a big stake thru the heart of that for the Navy, I guess. Never really remember seeing them during my east coast/Oceana time, but not really sure. Not sure if it lives on in the AF or not.

Truth be told, the very most "shit hot Shit Hots" I ever saw were sported by the E-1 det (VAW-111 Det 11) on my CORAL SEA cruises first half of the 70s. Basically white flight suit designs with the reverse Confederate flag striping (V on the chest, around waist and leg seams, with names and wings embroidered in gold) like Evel Knievel used to wear. Man, they really caught everyone's attention when the walked into the Cubi O'Club for "end-of-line period" parties. Sadly, I never captured those in a photo, but this will give you the essential idea:View attachment 25901
Yeah, I imagine the end of Subic Bay was the last door to slam on that kind of thing. Kind of sad in a way. Where does this generation of sailors get their cheap graphic tees, mahogany desk nameplates, and similar stuff?

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Our yellow SHs in VF-111 also sported "Rising Sun" red and white rays in the flares exposed by zippers on the lower calves.

Huh, that's funny. The more things change the more they remain the same. Have seen squadrons do this (the calf "kick flare") but thought it was a new development. I always liked it.

My fleet squadron (HSC CVW) had SH's, but ours were basically just embroidered. Wore them on Fridays at home with a squadron colored t-shirt and I think our airwing wore them on Sundays when underway.

We eventually wore a uniform squadron t shirt every day of the week and moved away from the black. I enjoyed that, felt like more of a team. Hope my next squadron will be like that.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Yeah, I imagine the end of Subic Bay was the last door to slam on that kind of thing. Kind of sad in a way. Where does this generation of sailors get their cheap graphic tees, mahogany desk nameplates, and similar stuff?
There are still a few brick-and-mortar places near some of the bases that cater to this market. The squadron PAOs (JO job) usually have some passdown on who to go to.

Otherwise, you order the stuff online, it probably gets made in China, and it magically shows up in the mail a few weeks later.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
There are still a few brick-and-mortar places near some of the bases that cater to this market. The squadron PAOs (JO job) usually have some passdown on who to go to.

Otherwise, you order the stuff online, it probably gets made in China, and it magically shows up in the mail a few weeks later.

San Diego and Pensacola areas both have T-shirts that are made locally, at least the screenprinting; I'm sure the other major fleet concentration areas do too. The one in San Diego had everything from run of the mill Made in Nameacountry to higher end shirts made in the US. For our squadron undershirts, we got the cheap undershirts in a uniform color and had them do the screenprinting local and sold to the squadron at cost because they became the required flight suit undershirt so we all matched every day. Came out to like $4.71 a shirt. Ultimately, we were pleased.

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
Well done. I would always "apply" my cover from the forehead to rear, thumb hooking under the aft portion, which positioned my finger(s) to ensure the dip was pushed down. There was also a slight check with said fingers/hand to ensure cover was mostly straight. It takes a special aviator to "crook" the pisscutter off centerline, and I'm not knocking it, but I was never convinced I was that person.
We had something in the mess laws about an “appropriate list” for the cover, and the wearer was authorized to be listing as well.

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
Shit Hots...the true ones...were well and truly a WESTPAC thing, I think..........Never really remember seeing them during my east coast/Oceana time, but not really sure.

Concur. I was originally an east coast attack puke at Cecil and after an instructor tour at Kingsville, finished out my career as a reserve bogey guy mostly at Oceana but spent a lot of time at Cecil, Key West, Dallas, Fallon and Miramar. Don't ever remember seeing them out east.

Renegade One

None
National Museum of the Air Force apparently has a display case in honor of the "party suit tradition" of Southeast Asia:

The text which follows explains the history of same, plus the meaning of "Sawadee"...

Party suits were a local and unofficial creation that arose in 1967 from the 357th Tactical Fighter Squadron of the 355th Tactical Fighter Wing, stationed at Tahkli Royal Thai Air Base. They created "special flight suits" in response to the 8th Tactical Fighter Wings' usage of black dyed cotton flight suits for social occasions. The use of these colorful, lightweight suits, popularly known as "Party Suits," was soon adopted by the Air Force flying units stationed at the large bases in Thailand. The tradition also quickly spread to units in South Vietnam and to a limited degree, other locations in Southeast Asia. Party suit usage was normally limited to flight personnel and those in direct support of flight operations.

Party suit colors were consistent within the unit and generally had some standard form of name, rank and unit identification. Additional insignia, unofficial patches (usually humorous) and other embroidery was purely up to the creativity of the individual. There were numerous local tailors near the air bases who specialized in making party suits and embroidering the many associated custom patches.

The light and comfortable suits were ideal in the tropical environment and were worn on-base only for special social occasions in lieu of official dress uniforms, which were not commonly used in Southeast Asia. The most significant social occasion was the famous "Sawadee" party. Named for the Thai language greeting appropriate for both "hello" and "good-bye," this party welcomed newly arrived personnel and bid good-bye to those returning home.

The party suit tradition, although superficially humorous, served an important role in Air Force organizations by promoting unit integrity and maintaining an esprit de corps under the most difficult combat circumstances, while being highly valued by those who served in Southeast Asia.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The gray flight suit was definitely the official shit hot for several years. We had them made summer of 2014 for Tailhook before a certain CO, who I'm sure you're familiar with, told us we couldn't wear them at Hook because he was concerned CAG would get angry at him if we were in shit hots. At Tailhook. (Still boggles my mind to this day).

Anyways, I know it lasted through several more iterations of front office, but they might have gone back to the green embroidered recently.
Nice, must have missed that bit after I left. I’m trying to decide how surprised I should be at the Tailhook thing, considering said individual told me about FOSing for the second time as I had my gear on to walk on an OEF mission . . . simultaneously mind blowing yet par for the course. ?

fieldrat

Fully Qualified 1815
You'll maybe get ribbed once or twice for being too professional while in flight school among your buddies (i.e.: don't greet fellow ENS's with a "Good morning Ensign Brown!" - you can say "hey Joe, good morning.") However, assume you should be that professional with your instructors until told otherwise, regardless of their rank. Others, all basic professionalism with a little gouge:

1. Keep boots and shoes shined - the students who take the attitude of "it's flammable so I don't," immediately set off the wrong tone to the brief.
  2. Salute. For some reason, some studs are nervous to salute their instructors.
  3. Don't call instructors by their callsigns until told to (I think VTJ does this at some point? Not common in the HTs and definitely not the VTs.)
  4. Don't get overly cheeky with patches. Patches are ultimately not as cool as they used to be in the day, rules are stricter, and students shouldn't be going all Van-Gogh on them anyway - get a class patch or a squadron patch and stick with it. Wearing your favorite hockey team as a student is going to bring unwanted attention.
  5. Avoid the khaki combo cover. Always keep a backup garrison cover in your car.
  6. Keep a small notebook and pen on you to take notes when an instructor is giving you guidance or instruction.
  7. Take what other students say about professionalism with a grain of salt and follow the rules and listen to your instructors.
This is just good gouge for any no JO, regardless of designator. My only addition would be to have a total of three garrison covers. One for your head, one for your desk/drawer, one for your car. Best advice I received from my Army buddy before i commissioned; second only to "Join the Navy, the Army beats up your body."