• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviation Uniforms and Customs for the new ENS

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I went with these. Super comfortable and look way better.

If anyone gives you any grief you can tactfully show them the regs. No where in there does it say "you shall wear Bates and only Bates"...
I’ll second this, these have been so much more comfortable and more durable than the Bates.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
So what exactly are the regs for shit hots? I've never actually seen any in the wild. I always considered them amongst the likes of boat cloaks, liberty cuffs, and tropical whites as being amongst the cool and unique sartorial traditions of the Naval Services.
I have no idea. They were before my time [I believe] since I was AD [HSL] from the mid 1980s to the early 1990s. I never saw them while on AD...but then again I was a rotorhead so maybe it was a jet puke thing.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So what exactly are the regs for shit hots? I've never actually seen any in the wild. I always considered them amongst the likes of boat cloaks, liberty cuffs, and tropical whites as being amongst the cool and unique sartorial traditions of the Naval Services.
I’ve never heard of any specific regulations. In my first squadron, we just wore them on Fridays. That seemed to be pretty standard up and down the flight line. Unfortunately most of the “shit hots” these days are just standard flight suits with everything embroidered. I know of a few squadrons with different colors (one with tiger stripes), but in general they don’t seem to be as over the top as in the past.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Unfortunately most of the “shit hots” these days are just standard flight suits with everything embroidered.

I've seen a lot of those! The old CoS at SIXTHFLT wore bags nearly every day and all of them were embroidered with name, rank, etc. instead of just patches. A lot of the aviators hanging around Naples had their embroidered bags, and would wear them from time to time. No fun bright colors, though.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
This is all good info regarding “shit hots”...and to be honest, I had no idea that they existed until this thread. Learn something new every day. In addition, I think it’s a pretty cool thing...I dig the wild colors. ? ? ?

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Lotta hate on here for the super salty garrison cover with flight suit. In 10.5 years I've been through 4. Wash occasionally, but always salty AF. I suppose I'll peel off some of that LCDR pay this fall and get a new one.

BT BT

Technique only to the young-ins, keep the case of beer from the Package Store in your left hand, retrieve garrison cover from your right lower pocket in stride with your right hand, don and crush (or older ones will "self-crush") in one smooth movement passing the threshold. You won't have to stop and you'll never look like an ass blowing off a random CDR/CAPT (or worse, a junior E) for salutes.

(I adapted this from someone on here from ~2010? Tried to search but no luck).

Mos

None
My first squadron, shit hots were just one of our normal flight suits with some special squadron graphics and individual's name embroidered. I think we wore them on Fridays or AOM days, can't remember. My second squadron, we didn't have shit hots, but at one point XO/aka wardroom president tried to encourage the wardroom to make it a thing. There was interest but it got dropped by our bull.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Technique only to the young-ins, keep the case of beer from the Package Store in your left hand, retrieve garrison cover from your right lower pocket in stride with your right hand, don and crush (or older ones will "self-crush") in one smooth movement passing the threshold. You won't have to stop and you'll never look like an ass blowing off a random CDR/CAPT (or worse, a junior E) for salutes.

Well done. I would always "apply" my cover from the forehead to rear, thumb hooking under the aft portion, which positioned my finger(s) to ensure the dip was pushed down. There was also a slight check with said fingers/hand to ensure cover was mostly straight. It takes a special aviator to "crook" the pisscutter off centerline, and I'm not knocking it, but I was never convinced I was that person.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Since you left, said squadron has actually ditched the tiger stripes for a gross maroon color. They should have stayed with the Flight of the Intruder style IMHO.
What, did they decide to forget that they too were once fat kid Prowler trash?

sad trombone noise

A bit down the flight line, I do think the gray flight suit idea had merit. Shame it never went anywhere besides JOPA bullshitting.