• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviation Uniforms and Customs for the new ENS

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
A few years ago I met an Air Force stud who referred to their T-6A as “the jet”. I initially thought he was talking about the T-38, but I was sadly mistaken. ?
I used to imagine “jet sounds” in the T-34 while humming “Danger Zone”...like that?

Homer J

I'm with NAVAIR. I'm here to help you.
Yea, the trailer for this one looks awesome. I hope the movie lives up to it. The casting, from a short three minute clip, looks spot on. Momoa as Duncan, Brolin as Gurney, Skarsgaard as The Baron, and Bautista as The Beast Rabban!? I dunno who would play those roles better from a fan's perspective.

They should have had Patrick Stewart play Gurney Hallek again. I think he could have still pulled it off. But, Josh Brolin is a good choice too.

Dontcallmegump

pilot
As a fellow MPRA guy, the rumblings I’ve heard from my fellow JOs about the cover dip is “That’s a Jet thing. We don’t do that.” Which I emphatically disagree with. The cover dip is aviation tradition, which I feel all communities should embrace.

Some "too cool to like the navy" moron somewhere in API or primary has started a meme-campagin declaring only winged aviators can do that and you're a nerd if you do.

Like, attritie yourself dude(et).

Dress for the job you want? I've never got the spasms people get over things like that but this is how that shit starts.

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
I always did the full mash down the middle as if I'd been wearing a headset or something instead of the dip. I'm pretty sure I did it as a mid too. The hat just fit better that way.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As a fellow MPRA guy, the rumblings I’ve heard from my fellow JOs about the cover dip is “That’s a Jet thing. We don’t do that.” Which I emphatically disagree with. The cover dip is aviation tradition, which I feel all communities should embrace.

Shows their ignorance as to why there is a dip in the first place, par for the course with VP.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Referance to "the jet" is an Air Force thing and should be avoided as surely as "beast mode". In airline flying only "that guy" refered to an airliner as "the jet".
OK, maybe reference to "the jet" was an Air Force thing back in the 80s. It hasn't been since at least the turn of the century. TACAIR folks don't fly their "airplane" or "aircraft" or "F/A-18." They fly their jet.

Python

pilot
Contributor
OK, maybe reference to "the jet" was an Air Force thing back in the 80s. It hasn't been since at least the turn of the century. TACAIR folks don't fly their "airplane" or "aircraft" or "F/A-18." They fly their jet.

This. And for the unenlightened like me, what exactly is the Air Force history with “the jet” terminology? Also, I have heard people refer to airliners as “the jet” as well but didn’t get even a slight “that guy” vibe, though I am admittedly relatively new to the show.

This seems trivial for triviality’s sake.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
This. And for the unenlightened like me, what exactly is the Air Force history with “the jet” terminology? Also, I have heard people refer to airliners as “the jet” as well but didn’t get even a slight “that guy” vibe, though I am admittedly relatively new to the show.

This seems trivial for triviality’s sake.
The only airline pilots I've ever heard refer to the plane as "the jet" are self important Air Guard or retired active AF guys who think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread and want to be sure everybody knows it.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So that just mean you guys adopted an Air Force thing in the mid to late 90s. Still an Air Force thing to reject, and it isn't too late. You too can harken back to the 70s and 80s when Naval Aviation was GREAT. Better call signs, more hours, better parties, more interesting personalized flight jackets, silver dollar salutes, bottle flights, flight suits around the waist driving through the gate...ah...no wait. ?

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
The AF apparently calls the T-6 a jet because they used to fly the T-37 and somehow cannot differentiate between the two.

At least that’s what I was told when I pointed out the obvious for the 69th time.

source:three very painful years as an IP in an AF T-6 squadron.

flgator92

None
A buddy of mine in the AF CSO program said all aircraft in the USAF are called “the jet.” I silently and deeply cringed inside and said what a professor of mine once told me was the worst insult a grad student could get (applies equally in this situation), “that’s so bad, it’s not even wrong.”

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
So that just mean you guys adopted an Air Force thing in the mid to late 90s. Still an Air Force thing to reject, and it isn't too late. You too can harken back to the 70s and 80s when Naval Aviation was GREAT. Better call signs, more hours, better parties, more interesting personalized flight jackets, silver dollar salutes, bottle flights, flight suits around the waist driving through the gate...ah...no wait. ?

Maybe saying "the jet" is considered douchey by folks from other communities.....I don't know, however that seems to be a consensus of sorts here? I've never had a second thought about it to be quite honest. There is no hidden meaning or intent (though I agree that it is entirely inaccurate when speaking of a T-6). Which inexplicably leads me to one of my favorite brief-isms......"hack, I have time 3-0, but we'll get a GPS time hack in the jet"......ummm no, I have never adjusted my watch to match the aircraft time. The other one is "NORDO"......"we'll join up and pass me the Hellen Keller signals". WTF does that actually mean? Wasn't she deaf and blind?