• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviation Uniforms and Customs for the new ENS

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
On a serious note, while I'll tease students about doing exactly this but I don't necessarily have a problem with cockpit / flight calls with a "L / R, X Clock". As funny as it is to think about, some dude helmet-firing might benefit from the base simplicity of L/R before devoting a few more neurons to the actual clock code after he turns his head.

If they were seeing and thinking about any traffic calls, I was happy, because I saw the alternative a lot too. Critiquing the callout was later on down the road.

I realize solos to the PCola southern OLFs were common back in the day, but considering the far more numerous close calls I had there vs the northern areas, sending a solo south for bounces always made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Renegade One

None
+1 on Oceana strippers

In the back bar, away from the wives and girlfriends. one time in '90 or '91, after a bunch of drinks watching the strippers, one of them hopped in the car with us and drove to Norfolk to see KISS in concert for the hell of it - turns out this was the only time they toured without makeup, what a letdown
The stripper or the guys in KISS?

johnboyA6E

None
As I recall, the stripper was pretty much standard issue; lots of makeup, glitter and cheap perfume. Gene Simmons on the other hand could have used some makeup. Very different than I imagined 15 years earlier, playing their records when I was in 6th grade.
He did have the big tongue though, so there's that....

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Yes, I am resurrecting the Dune conversation…I am. I watched it (it is a Part One movie) and actually enjoyed it. Now, back in my ScIFi reading days I failed to get through the book before I abandoned it on a park bench in Albuquerque. The first movie attempt, with Sting, was simply impossible to follow. I should have left a park bench in the theater to watch it for me.

But this version is really good. It made sense (more or less) and the special effects are fantastic. I saw it in a theater and I’d recommend that unless you have a really nice home set up. So, enjoy, and don’t forget the Spice for your popcorn.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Yes, I am resurrecting the Dune conversation…I am. I watched it (it is a Part One movie) and actually enjoyed it. Now, back in my ScIFi reading days I failed to get through the book before I abandoned it on a park bench in Albuquerque. The first movie attempt, with Sting, was simply impossible to follow. I should have left a park bench in the theater to watch it for me.

But this version is really good. It made sense (more or less) and the special effects are fantastic. I saw it in a theater and I’d recommend that unless you have a really nice home set up. So, enjoy, and don’t forget the Spice for your popcorn.
Made it ten minutes and gave up. Will probably download it for my next 13 hour flight across the pond(s) and watch without distractions. Like the original, very slow, dark, and dialogue heavy…

Pags

N/A
pilot

Saw it and really enjoyed it. Huge improvement over the Lynch movie and I thought it did a really good job capturing the essence of the book. Kids also saw it, enjoyed it, and the 12yr old promptly asked to read the book.

Apparently there's footage out there of Brolin playing the baliset that didn't make it into the theatrical release. No word on if there's footage of him with a pug.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Casting is great, it definitely does the book justice. Spoiler: No Feyd Rautha in part one, so there's still a chance for Sting to reprise his role.

I hope some of the side characters like Gurney and Thufir get some more screen time in part 2. Jason Momoa did a great job as Duncan.

It'll be interesting to see if we make it to God Emperor of Dune, or if that's too far out there to make into a movie.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Casting is great, it definitely does the book justice. Spoiler: No Feyd Rautha in part one, so there's still a chance for Sting to reprise his role.

I hope some of the side characters like Gurney and Thufir get some more screen time in part 2. Jason Momoa did a great job as Duncan.

It'll be interesting to see if we make it to God Emperor of Dune, or if that's too far out there to make into a movie.
Part 2 is just 3hrs of Duncan Idaho clones. And pugs.

jointhelocalizer

pilot
How does changing your stuff work from going from ENS to LTJG? Obviously, I'm not going to start wearing JG stuff before I do the promotion ceremony, but would it be wrong to get my winter uniforms striped and a couple flight suits (I have 4) worked on? The switch to summer uniforms was 1 APR. I PCS in a little under a month (and promote in a little over a month) , so I am trying to be productive in the meantime. Just wanted to see if I am putting the cart before the horse or if I actually have a good idea for once.

flgator92

None
How does changing your stuff work from going from ENS to LTJG? Obviously, I'm not going to start wearing JG stuff before I do the promotion ceremony, but would it be wrong to get my winter uniforms striped and a couple flight suits (I have 4) worked on? The switch to summer uniforms was 1 APR. I PCS in a little under a month (and promote in a little over a month) , so I am trying to be productive in the meantime. Just wanted to see if I am putting the cart before the horse or if I actually have a good idea for once.
You go to the NEX, you buy new hard/soft shoulderboards, and other silver bar insignia. Get one of your green flight suits done up with JG insignia. And, about a month out from promotion and you know there's nothing on the horizon requiring your blues, go to the NEX and get them striped. After promotion get the rest of your flight suits done. The PRs shoul just do them for you. Not too cosmic.

Dontcallmegump

pilot

Hmm, the only things I would do for sure are get the silver bars and 1 of each flight suit color done before you actually promote, and the other two done after. I'll be an LT in about a month and I never have had my blues sewn or gotten hard or soft shoulder boards. Covid probably had a bit to do with not needing the fancier uniforms but I woudlent buy every little thing up front. And if you do, save the receipts for the JG boards, they're like 60-70$ for both and you may never actually need them.

YMMV, but you don't work in DC, if you catch my drift.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
In my time we didn’t wear rank on flight suits so that was a savings!

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Hmm, the only things I would do for sure are get the silver bars and 1 of each flight suit color done before you actually promote, and the other two done after. I'll be an LT in about a month and I never have had my blues sewn or gotten hard or soft shoulder boards. Covid probably had a bit to do with not needing the fancier uniforms but I woudlent buy every little thing up front. And if you do, save the receipts for the JG boards, they're like 60-70$ for both and you may never actually need them.

YMMV, but you don't work in DC, if you catch my drift.
I would advise against not getting your SDBs striped. When it happens and you need them, there may be little notice and you'll be f'd. It also turns out, when there is enough notice out there - there ends up being a mad dash of people getting them striped and you may not get yours done in time.