• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Automobile to Newport?

Bugsmasher

Another Non-qual SWO Ensign
Having my car there was very nice. POV runs are a great break from the grind of OCS, and yes, you can stow "extra gear" in there. If you don't have a car, you'll buddy up with somebody during initial check-in to store the stuff that you can't bring in to OCS the first day (like an iron, cell phone, etc.)

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Things I recommend you keep in your car for POV runs:

-reeses peanut butter cups (5 king packs)
-3 musketeers bars (10)
-2 large bags peanut butter m&ms
-1 pack of chips o'hoy (chewy of course)
-1 pack double stuffed oreos
-snickers (5)
-cell phone and car charger
-a good iron and a few cans of starch
-some good music

Depending on how dick your candios are, you'll have anywhere from 5-20 minutes in the POV to use the above items.

(btw, in P'cola, the candios 'helped' out the candidates by allowing more time for POVs and turning their head... Something that CLEARLY got lost in translation during the move... The first class up there did nothing but screw over the junior classes... If this trend is still happening, CRUSH it.)

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
My truck was my happy place at OCS...plus I could see it on the "walk" from the PT field and at the Parade grounds (in P'Cola) it gave me a little piece of home while I was there. Also nice during Candio...I pretty much had free use of it for the last 3 weeks or so, plus liberty weekends...
Pickle

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Bring your vehicle! Stock it full of junk food! And don't be like, "Nah I won't want it anyway because I'm not a fatbody"

You need candy. It's a fact. Bring the car, it will be invaluable.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Things I recommend you keep in your car for POV runs:

-reeses peanut butter cups (5 king packs)
-3 musketeers bars (10)
-2 large bags peanut butter m&ms
-1 pack of chips o'hoy (chewy of course)
-1 pack double stuffed oreos
-snickers (5)
-cell phone and car charger
-a good iron and a few cans of starch
-some good music

Depending on how dick your candios are, you'll have anywhere from 5-20 minutes in the POV to use the above items.

(btw, in P'cola, the candios 'helped' out the candidates by allowing more time for POVs and turning their head... Something that CLEARLY got lost in translation during the move... The first class up there did nothing but screw over the junior classes... If this trend is still happening, CRUSH it.)

We gave 20 min to the indoc class on their first POV run. I later out got pissed off at the class because I found a candidate lied to me about something unrelated while on the march down there. We only got 5 min at the POV on our first run.

jt71582

pilot
Contributor
We gave 20 min to the indoc class on their first POV run. I later out got pissed off at the class because I found a candidate lied to me about something unrelated while on the march down there. We only got 2 min at the POV on ours.

Wow, I gave 10-09 an hour.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Well, good on you :p. I thought we were being generous considering the short time we got and the fact that they were 'supposed' to be in-and-out.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
We gave 20 min to the indoc class on their first POV run. I later out got pissed off at the class because I found a candidate lied to me about something unrelated while on the march down there. We only got 5 min at the POV on our first run.

Why were you talking in formation? :D

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
One thing that wasn't mentioned:

The amount of travel time the Navy gives you to drive across country is ridiculous. For non-priors, you're active duty date is the day you leave home, which means a bigger first paycheck, plus the per diem for the road.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
Since we're on the topic, I've got a semi-related question.

I'm graduating May 8th, but don't report until June 13th (and I'm driving). Since I've got about a month of cushion, I planned on driving down to Florida to visit friends and then, if needs be, back up to Michigan to touch base with my recruiter but I'd planned on driving to Virginia and slowly driving up the east coast, stopping to see friends on the way up to OCS.

How would the per diem/travel costs figure in with that? Obviously, I only expect to be paid for X mileage calculated from Michigan to Newport but is it going to complicate the situation because I didn't plan on driving directly there from MI?

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Is there someplace to park in Newport that would ensure safety from door dings? Like...some parking spot really really far away? I painted the damn thing myself, I don't need some jackass dinging my door...especially because he just wanted a peanut butter cup. Bah

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Since we're on the topic, I've got a semi-related question.

I'm graduating May 8th, but don't report until June 13th (and I'm driving). Since I've got about a month of cushion, I planned on driving down to Florida to visit friends and then, if needs be, back up to Michigan to touch base with my recruiter but I'd planned on driving to Virginia and slowly driving up the east coast, stopping to see friends on the way up to OCS.

How would the per diem/travel costs figure in with that? Obviously, I only expect to be paid for X mileage calculated from Michigan to Newport but is it going to complicate the situation because I didn't plan on driving directly there from MI?

The Navy will give you X travel days to go from Michigan to Newport to arrive at your NLT date. I suppose you're welcome to leave earlier than that to do your own thing, but you'll only get a set amount of travel days as if you were going from Michigan to RI.

jt71582

pilot
Contributor
Turtl3 said:
If a candidate is there during the summer, how is he to keep his candy from melting inside the blistering hot car?

They have refrigerators in the rooms, don't worry. :eek:

You eat melted shit. Get over it.