• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Authentic eating options in SoCal vs Taco Bell (and In n Out)

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
The problem is when you are driving home from work at 2300 in a flight suit, nothing is open, and you have no food at home. Then the drive-thru is the only choice. However I'd take El Pollo Loco over Taco Bell any day if its within a reasonable distance.

This.....specifically what happened actually

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
Since moving to the West Coast 2 years ago and becoming a convert (great microbrews available everywhere! low humidity! cool evenings!), one thing I don't get that much is In-n-Out. I found it just OK, to be honest - granted, I've only eaten there a few times, but I would give a tie to their burger offerings with Five Guys, and I would put Five Guys way ahead in the fries department.

Caveat: I have spent no time delving into the secret menu options. Nor do I get drunk anymore with friends and stop somewhere to eat.

Random pic of a 100x100 burger from said establishment:

20060125050438458_21.jpg

Wudgles

Cause I am most ill and I'm rhymin' and stealin'
pilot
Since moving to the West Coast 2 years ago and becoming a convert (great microbrews available everywhere! low humidity! cool evenings!), one thing I don't get that much is In-n-Out. I found it just OK, to be honest - granted, I've only eaten there a few times, but I would give a tie to their burger offerings with Five Guys, and I would put Five Guys way ahead in the fries department.

It's just the standard East vs West Coast thing. I had no less than 50 arguments with all my DC friends from school about which was better. The debate only got more intense when two Five Guys surfaced in Nashville our junior year.

Kids who grow up on one will always say it's superior to the other (even though it's clear as day In-N-Out is the best by far for fries, burgers, and shakes).

phrogpilot73

Kids who grow up on one will always say it's superior to the other (even though it's clear as day In-N-Out is the best by far for fries, burgers, and shakes).
I'm with Herc on this one. I think In-N-Out has better burgers, but Five Guys kicks the snot out of In-N-Out in the fries department.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
Yeah, the Cajun Fries are pretty damn good, but when taking the whole establishment into consideration, that's kind of like voting for vice president. However, until In N Out spreads the gospel to the heathen hamburger lands of the east coast, Five Guys stands as a more than acceptable substitute.

Praying4OCS

Helo Bubba to Information Warrior
pilot
Contributor
Agreed. Burgers - In N Out. Fries - Five Guys

However, until In N Out spreads the gospel to the heathen hamburger lands of the east coast, Five Guys stands as a more than acceptable substitute.

The problem is that In N Out isnt franchised as Five guys is.
"In-N-Out remains privately owned and the Snyder family has no plans to take the company public or franchise any units. All Associates are treated like family."
http://www.in-n-out.com/history.asp

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
"In-N-Out remains privately owned and the Snyder family has no plans to take the company public or franchise any units. All Associates are treated like family."
http://www.in-n-out.com/history.asp

This isn't completely true. About a decade or so ago, the Snyders were drawing up plans to open up franchises as far west as the Missippi. Then a corporate charter crashed with the CEO and a bunch of the top execs on board, forcing the company to restructure.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
However, until In N Out spreads the gospel to the heathen hamburger lands of the east coast, Five Guys stands as a more than acceptable substitute.
Meh. Previous debate notwithstanding, In-N-Out burgers and fries >> Five Guys Burgers and fries. This from someone who lives in the land of neither. Don't get me wrong; Five Guys is good. But not "good" in the same league as In-N-Out.

I won't complain, though, considering I can always drown my sorrows in the best craft beer known to man.

MPH

Burgers & fries are superior at Five Guys.

The hours and shakes are better at In-n-Out.

I was born and raised on In-n-Out, but Five Guys just has: better buns, better meat, and more options.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
SOCAL FAIL! EVEN if you wanted to do "fast food", do a smaller, local chain like Sombrero's Mexican food (open 24 hours). A California burrito and 4 rolled tacos is delicious, and sure to get the bowels moving!

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
I think the best California burrito I ever had was from Korrina's (I'm not sure of the spelling) in Encinitas. So amazing. I good CA burrito and an horchata--perfect after a day at the beach.

I hate Japan. Yesterday I got served a sauteed jellyfish. Completely whole and still very Jellyfish-shaped. The things I would do for some good Mexican food...

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Five guys is meh to me. Burgers are fairly standard and the fries are usually greasy and not crunchy enough for my tastes. In N Out I've had a few times and is very good for burgers, but the fries, again, boring. Usually places that "fresh cut" their fries only do one fry before they serve. That golden color and crunchy exterior comes from a two fry process. Once to cook, once to crisp.

Now the big leagues? Shake Shack. Literally a religious experience. There's a reason the line is around the block.

ghost

working, working, working ...
pilot
I hate Japan. Yesterday I got served a sauteed jellyfish. Completely whole and still very Jellyfish-shaped. The things I would do for some good Mexican food...

You can never hate on the food in Japan. The depth and breadth of food in the land of the rising sun far outstrips what's available anywhere else. A SoCal burrito might be hard to find, but I can point you in the direction of a Mexican restaurant where the food will amaze you.

If you are not eating well in Japan, you are truly missing the experience (and probably spending too much time on base). Spend to COLA and try the thousands of foods around you that are not available in the US. You'll be home quicker than you can think wishing you were back.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
I certainly don't spend too much time on base. I live in town and do nearly all my shopping and eating on the economy. If anything, I think all the eating offbase and the experimenting with new places and new foods is why I've had some of these experiences. If I ate at the food court or the O club everyday, I wouldn't end up politely trying to choke down some nato, but I also wouldn't feel like I was getting anything out of being here.

I'm eating well most of the time, but I miss cheap, amazing, easily accessable mexican food. And this thread caught me 1 day post jellyfish (at a 3 hour meal that was filled with all sorts of awkward moments), so I probably overstated it a bit. A bunch of little old Japanese ladies proudly served me this plate of food with these 2 little jellyfish, and then stared expectantly at me, waiting for me to join the clean plate club. It actually wasn't horrible, but the texture was unpleasant.

I also got served a fish as a gift from a sushi chef, which was fine, except for the fact that as I had a bit of his flesh grasped in my chopsticks, I looked down at the rest of the whole fish on the plate and saw him blank at me and then twitch. The thing was still barely alive and was watching me eat a piece of him.