• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Authentic eating options in SoCal vs Taco Bell (and In n Out)

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
It's just the standard East vs West Coast thing. I had no less than 50 arguments with all my DC friends from school about which was better. The debate only got more intense when two Five Guys surfaced in Nashville our junior year.

Kids who grow up on one will always say it's superior to the other (even though it's clear as day In-N-Out is the best by far for fries, burgers, and shakes).

Grew up East coast, live East coast. I hate 5 guys. I just had In n Out 3 days in a row. You have to do the fries animal style. I didn't even know about all of the secret items, now I have to go back and try them out. I would be a ba-jillionaire if In n Out would let people open franchises on the East coast.

KBayDog

You can never hate on the food in Japan. The depth and breadth of food in the land of the rising sun far outstrips what's available anywhere else. A SoCal burrito might be hard to find, but I can point you in the direction of a Mexican restaurant where the food will amaze you.

If you are not eating well in Japan, you are truly missing the experience (and probably spending too much time on base). Spend to COLA and try the thousands of foods around you that are not available in the US. You'll be home quicker than you can think wishing you were back.

As Duke Ellington said about music, "If it sounds good, it is good." The same principle can be applied to food. Just because something is exotic doesn't mean that it tastes good to an individual. This is not to suggest that one not experience the local cuisine; it's just that sauteed jellyfish doesn't appeal to everyone.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
In the spirit of this thread, I went and got In-n-Out burgers for the whole family tonight. Double-double, animal style, with animal fries for me. Lesser versions for the womenfolk.

God was not pleased at the abuse I was set to inflict on my body, and smote my battery dead in the parking lot.

Luckily another Airwarrior was able to come and HABU. Thanks, Postal!

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
As Duke Ellington said about music, "If it sounds good, it is good." The same principle can be applied to food. Just because something is exotic doesn't mean that it tastes good to an individual. This is not to suggest that one not experience the local cuisine; it's just that sauteed jellyfish doesn't appeal to everyone.

+100! I am sick of people saying because it's "unique, gourmet, exotic or cosmopolitan", it's delicious. Fuck that. If it tastes good, it's good. Growing up in Socal, I should be the one loving sushi. I don't. I hate fish, and I especially hate RAW fish. So while I know guys from the south who feel more "worldly" because they enjoy sushi, I couldn't care less.

I enjoyed some food in Japan (particularly Ace-Burger and The meat on a stick place in sasebo - the "Chicken Mertball" was delicious), but I hated most of it. Doesn't make you wrong. Jellyfish is fucking gross. If they eat it, more power to them. I'd like something that doesn't taste like ass.... to me.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
+100! I am sick of people saying because it's "unique, gourmet, exotic or cosmopolitan", it's delicious. Fuck that. If it tastes good, it's good. Growing up in Socal, I should be the one loving sushi. I don't. I hate fish, and I especially hate RAW fish. So while I know guys from the south who feel more "worldly" because they enjoy sushi, I couldn't care less.

I enjoyed some food in Japan (particularly Ace-Burger and The meat on a stick place in sasebo - the "Chicken Mertball" was delicious), but I hated most of it. Doesn't make you wrong. Jellyfish is fucking gross. If they eat it, more power to them. I'd like something that doesn't taste like ass.... to me.

Rumor has it that there is a meat on a stick here that actually as chicken asshole. I suspect it if just a rumor. At least I hope it is just a rumor. You can certainly eat intestine at any number of places. (Strangely, on most translated menus it is listed as "pig hormone" or "horse hormone", but don't be fooled. Hormone=intestine)

Wudgles

Cause I am most ill and I'm rhymin' and stealin'
pilot
Grew up East coast, live East coast. I hate 5 guys. I just had In n Out 3 days in a row. You have to do the fries animal style. I didn't even know about all of the secret items, now I have to go back and try them out. I would be a ba-jillionaire if In n Out would let people open franchises on the East coast.

That is the reason In-N-Out has better fries, too.

Ralph

The one thing taco bell has is its cheap and it taste good. Crunch wraps are $0.99. A Cal burro will got you six bucks. Nothing wrong with taco hell.

phrogpilot73

That is the reason In-N-Out has better fries, too.
Seems to me that you're just admitting that In-N-Out fries suck, so you have to cover them up a-la "animal style". Don't kid yourself.

Doesn't need a "secret menu" to taste good:

4196126431_dbd8d36629.jpg

On the other hand, these fries aren't good enough to stand on their own so they created "animal" style:

20090109fries2.jpg

jtmedli

pilot
The one thing taco bell has is its cheap and it taste good. Crunch wraps are $0.99. A Cal burro will got you six bucks. Nothing wrong with taco hell.

Minus the fact that it's taco bell!! Nothing that costs 99¢ can be even remotely healthy.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
OK, so Five Guys regular fries are better than In-N-Out, but still. Doe you have to diss the Animal Style? Can't we just all get along??

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
I do go to Taco Bell if I'm angry.
At my colon.

Praying4OCS

Helo Bubba to Information Warrior
pilot
Contributor
Again...FG is good. In-N-Out is great. Btw, phrog u took the fries out of the bag?! Rookie mistake....just tear the top off. Props for cajun tho. :icon_smil