• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Authentic eating options in SoCal vs Taco Bell (and In n Out)

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Sucks. Rescuing a dog can be really rewarding and really frustrating...and goes from one to another in about 2 seconds, most of the time.

phrogpilot73

Sucks. Rescuing a dog can be really rewarding and really frustrating...and goes from one to another in about 2 seconds, most of the time.
Ain't that the truth. We've been reading a lot of books/watching videos, and working at it - and he's getting a lot better.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
I only wish...

Our first puppy, and he clearly was abused at some point in his life. He's bitten me once (I was foolishly breaking up a fight between him and our 15 year old dog), but PSW's taken the brunt. The worst one was when I heard PSW screaming and came running in and saw him ready to whip his head side to side while clamped to her arm. That's the one that got us to the head of the line of the emergency room. We've learned a lot about the terms "dominance aggression" and "fear aggression"...

The good news is that he's never bitten someone else, and hasn't bitten PSW since that day...
Wow, I hope the dog improves - that is really tough. We have a rehabilitated dog who is improving after 2 years, but still has the occasional issue. She got into a fight one night when she jumped on him in the dark accidentally and I tried breaking it up - I put my hand on her rump and the back of her neck to push her down and she twisted her head super fast and bit off the tip of my ring finger (she bit all the way through - it was hanging by a flap of skin on one side, luckily, so could be sewn back on). Bam, threat neutralized in .5 seconds.

Luckily she is good with our kids, and the other dogs 99% of the time, so we watch her carefully always. Hope your dog can get rid of his fear & dominance aggression - wish it was easy as Cesar shows.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
Hang in there - we have a dog that was abused before we got her. Great 99% of the time, but that 1% is tough. I tried breaking up her one fight with our older dog by grabbing her neck and rump - she turned her head in a split second and bit off the tip of my ring finger (luckily a flap of skin kept it from falling off, so they could sew it back on). We now watch her like a hawk.

Wish it was as easy as Cesar shows, but it is a long road.

phrogpilot73

Yeah, he's definitely improving. The more consistent we are with him, the better he gets. When we first started seeing the problems - we exacerbated it by backing him into a corner, yelling, etc... Doing everything you're not supposed to do. He had essentially declared himself the Alpha and was biting us to put us back into our place. Once we figured that out, and after talking to our vet who recommended the book "Don't Dump the Dog" and also gave us some recommendations for trainers/rehabilitators if it continued, he started getting better.

At one point, I would say he was 70% great dog, 30% terror - now he's down to about 95% great dog, 5% terror. He's playful with other dogs, but he "talks" with growling which makes owners think he's going to attack. And we still don't trust him 100% around kids. Don't know if he's talking or growling as a warning - but has snapped at some kids in the past...

scoolbubba

pilot
Contributor
I got the other extreme. Great with kids, loves small dogs. Big dogs are his favorite chew toy.

95 pounds of boxer fighting 110 pounds of rottweiler or bull mastiff is not something I enjoy sticking my hands into to break up. People get offended when I warn them not to let their large male dog walk up to mine on the leash. He's fine after about 30 minutes of figuring out who's who with another big dog, but the initial meet and greet is usually a very exciting and vigorous time.

He's never bit my wife or myself, but he has lunged at people who get in his face or get down on his level when he's on the leash (both things you have to tell people not to do, or they will inevitably try when the see the cute widdle 90+ lb puppie dawg).

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just be careful with the liability issues considering you own a dog that's a known biter. My family came really close to having to put down our lab after she came close to ripping out the throat of our old neighbor's jack russell (despite our repeated warnings to them that they shouldn't let their dogs off the leash near our lawn).

scoolbubba

pilot
Contributor
We upped our liability coverage as part of our homeowner's insurance...a lot. USAA saves the day again.

phrogpilot73

My family came really close to having to put down our lab after she came close to ripping out the throat of our old neighbor's jack russell (despite our repeated warnings to them that they shouldn't let their dogs off the leash near our lawn).
Isn't there a leash law in Maryland?? Seems to me that if you're violating a law, I'm shouldn't be liable...

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Minus the fact that it's taco bell!! Nothing that costs 99¢ can be even remotely healthy.

If you're eating from any of the establishments in this thread and have the notion that one is "healthier" than the other.....you're retarded.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
I only wish...

Our first puppy, and he clearly was abused at some point in his life. He's bitten me once (I was foolishly breaking up a fight between him and our 15 year old dog), but PSW's taken the brunt. The worst one was when I heard PSW screaming and came running in and saw him ready to whip his head side to side while clamped to her arm. That's the one that got us to the head of the line of the emergency room. We've learned a lot about the terms "dominance aggression" and "fear aggression"...

The good news is that he's never bitten someone else, and hasn't bitten PSW since that day...

Is this your dog?

Zuul.jpg

If so... I think there are laws about keeping Zuul and other pagan cult gods as pets.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Is this your dog?

Zuul.jpg

If so... I think there are laws about keeping Zuul and other pagan cult gods as pets.

"I'm going bring this up with the Tenant's Association. You're not supposed to have pets in the building."