• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Authentic eating options in SoCal vs Taco Bell (and In n Out)

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
La Pasadita, while delicious, is no match for Yuma's Afterburner.

Is Old (or New) Chretins Mexican Restaurant still around in Yuma? Back in the day, it was the hottest Mex spot in the Southwest. An average night out in Yuma consisted of dinner @ Chretins or Villa Nova, golf @ the night-lit par 3 golf course or the dog track, then chick hunting @ Holiday Inn, Palomino Pony or Red's Place across the big river in Winterhaven. Maybe an occasional trip 'cross the border to San Luis (Long before Mexico qualified for combat pay!). Any of that still go on in Yuma?
BzB

KBayDog

Hear, hear! I always maintained that Afterburner needed a Unicom freq. If Yuma could provide normal rotary wing hot fuel service, aircraft training in the Chocolates could stop in for gas and a Bunker Buster for the transit back to Miramar/Pendleton/NASNI.

(Of course, Bunker Busters would immediately bump up the RAC for every flight...)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's apparent that midnjac has a problem.

Could it be time for the first-ever AW ?

I agree and recommend first step of the 11 step process would be watching this video bring to fast movers everywhere by their rotary wing brothers

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hear, hear! I always maintained that Afterburner needed a Unicom freq. If Yuma could provide normal rotary wing hot fuel service, aircraft training in the Chocolates could stop in for gas and a Bunker Buster for the transit back to Miramar/Pendleton/NASNI.

(Of course, Bunker Busters would immediately bump up the RAC for every flight...)

I haven't had my refresher course rules brief yet, but I believe we have legit, separate rw and fw hot pits now - HarrierDude would know. The FW pits were up and working when I left, but no clue about the chopper gas. Still no unicom regardless, but y'all have like 5 people for that chow run.

Additionally, I'm not sure what RAC means, but I'm guessing Risk Assessment Code or some other happy, feel good bullshit phrase that can be otherwise stated as common sense and proper planning.

KBayDog

Additionally, I'm not sure what RAC means, but I'm guessing Risk Assessment Code or some other happy, feel good bullshit phrase that can be otherwise stated as common sense and proper planning.

Check out the big brain on Brett... Yes, it's a product of the pretty little color chart that finishes every ppt brief (it's the slide whose exposure can be measured in milliseconds as the briefer says "Any Questions?").

I know that NYL has a few chopper pits open by 220 for WTI, but I don't recall them having hot pits open any other time. It was always NJK on the way out for hot gas, and IPL on the way back for cold gas...and their complementary pizza and soda. It was awesome when we could hot fuel at IPL, but alas, those days are over.

The Unicom at Afterburner would be great so that we could call ahead. Perhaps they could even bring the food to the bird via EZ-Go or something like that. Oh well, I haven't been to NYL in a year and a half, and if things go as planned, I'll never be there again.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

Affirm. Afterburner was the only good thing about being stranded for a day alone with a broken jet there. I was getting some pretty weird looks though as ARFF had swiped my sqdn patches....

teabag53

pilot
Is Old (or New) Chretins Mexican Restaurant still around in Yuma? Back in the day, it was the hottest Mex spot in the Southwest. An average night out in Yuma consisted of dinner @ Chretins or Villa Nova, golf @ the night-lit par 3 golf course or the dog track, then chick hunting @ Holiday Inn, Palomino Pony or Red's Place across the big river in Winterhaven. Maybe an occasional trip 'cross the border to San Luis (Long before Mexico qualified for combat pay!). Any of that still go on in Yuma?
BzB

Chretins has moved and lost much of it's charm in the process. I think the food quality took a hit too but I only visited the old location once (and was shitfaced)...

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
The problem is when you are driving home from work at 2300 in a flight suit, nothing is open, and you have no food at home. Then the drive-thru is the only choice. However I'd take El Pollo Loco over Taco Bell any day if its within a reasonable distance.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Chretins has moved and lost much of it's charm in the process. I think the food quality took a hit too but I only visited the old location once (and was shitfaced)...

True statement. Chretin's blows now. They tried to become respectable and lost it. No one goes there anymore and it's probably a matter of time before they're kaput. Everything else... not so much.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I haven't had my refresher course rules brief yet, but I believe we have legit, separate rw and fw hot pits now - HarrierDude would know. The FW pits were up and working when I left, but no clue about the chopper gas. Still no unicom regardless, but y'all have like 5 people for that chow run.

There are constant f/w hot pits and then there are as-needed r/w hot pits. They're a PITA because we (the people still using said pits) can't get enough range time in sufficient blocks to justify using them. Sad and pathetic.

Funny you should mention radioing ahead for afterburner, though. I almost did that exact thing today. I was just about to use the command post freq and duty officer to order up a bunker buster when I decided that it would probably work too well, and my burrito would be cold by the time I got there. I was even going to pull up, get out, and go fetch it on my way to shut down.

In the end, it was just as easy to walk down and order in person.

Chretin's doesn't suck, btw. I do agree that it lost some ghetto-fabulous charm in the new building. I guess adhering to the health code affected the taste.

Praying4OCS

Helo Bubba to Information Warrior
pilot
Contributor
6a00e5517a64b28834012875c86242970c-800wi

animal-style-fries.jpg

Praying4OCS

Helo Bubba to Information Warrior
pilot
Contributor
Its been a few months but....tickets bought for San Dawg trip in Aug. Ill post more pics for you, Yut. :icon_smil