• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

August 09 Boards

getawaydriver

What percentage get LCS?
It's definitely worth it - if anything just to put your mind at ease.

by the way, where in NoVa you from? I grew up in fairfax co - went to Marshall HS.

Yeh, that's the idea. I took everyone's advice and printed out the aviator/flight officer NAMI vision requirements from the official documentation as well as the waiver's section for depth just to go to his office prepared.

This is the NAMI vision and total medical requirements for all things flight related. See pages 8-13.

Here is the waiver's portion.

Again, these came directly from the current NOMI/NAMI websites.

I went to GW and work for the USIC. I'm in Arlington, hard knocks Crystal City.
http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/navme...n_filename=waiver guide - complete 090623.pdf

SWOHopeful

Man how did ya'll get your MEPS scheduled so fast?? I have to go down to the recruiting office on Thursday just to get processed to go to MEPS. I'm hoping to get it all done by the middle of September and keep my fingers crossed for a FS somewhere in the beginning of October. From what I understand there is selection committee that puts out the FS. I think they make sure the classes aren't too full and what not.

getawaydriver

What percentage get LCS?
Holy conflicting reporting Batman!

Man how did ya'll get your MEPS scheduled so fast?? I have to go down to the recruiting office on Thursday just to get processed to go to MEPS. I'm hoping to get it all done by the middle of September and keep my fingers crossed for a FS somewhere in the beginning of October. From what I understand there is selection committee that puts out the FS. I think they make sure the classes aren't too full and what not.

Okay I am super confused!!!

The NAMI guide says that applicants with LASIK are not accepted and anyone with LASIK is a no-go, non-waver.

I am currently pro-rec for both NA and FO... I went into my recruiter and was upfront about having had LASIK and asked if I was qualified for flight because I had read in an official Navy publication from NAMI that LASIK was no longer a no-go (MAR2009).

Needless to say, he had me get my LASIK paperwork together, submitted it with my package and I get the pro-rec.

Spoke with a few other O's who are or have recently held recruitment billets for the Navy for OCS and ROTC. I was told that if the packet went up with the paperwork, and it was approved from the beginning when I approached my OR about starting the process, that I am okay for now. They also said that they have seen OCS candidates get waivers for LASIK surgery.

My vision/genes are something out of my control and I am prepared to fight tooth and nail for it, however I have my backup plan.

My fear is slipping through only to get the NAMI WHAMMI at Pensacola and getting hit with some designator that'll make me hate life. That would be worse than death.

I'm thinking I should put in an intel packet for November...

Can anyone clarify? I am getting, in intel parlance, some really f-ing information conflicts...

Go Navy or die.

nombrescreeno

AFAIK, LASIK is still a no-go for civilian applicants. I know they were talking about allowing LASIK for civilian applicants as part of the study, but it's either not in that phase yet or it hasn't been made public. Either way, you can't get LASIK for the aviation unless you are part of the study

Unfortunately, recruiters don't know a whole lot, in no small part due to the confusing wording and slew of documents out there (and some of the jargon is hard to understand for non-medical people).

And from what I've read on this board, yes there have been people who got in with LASIK only to show up at OCS and get DQ'd for the 13xx designator as well as eyes out of the pre-op regulations

edit: I wanted to clarify that it is a no-go for *aviation* applicants. LASIK is accepted by most other designators. However, any eye surgery is permanently disqualifying - you have to get it waivered, be it LASIK, PRK, etc. - but that's just for commission. The actual requirements then depend on designators...

DukeAndrewJ

Divo without a division
Contributor

I thought it would take a lot longer than it did. I went in to see my recruiter on Wednesday (the day after I got the pro-rec - he is always trying to get things done as soon as possible), filled out the medical pre-screen paperwork in his office, and he sent it over to MEPS and was able to get me an appointment for Friday morning. There really wasn't much to it. But I have never had surgery/broken bones or anything like that so I didn't have any medical records to track down.

SWOHopeful

I thought it would take a lot longer than it did. I went in to see my recruiter on Wednesday (the day after I got the pro-rec - he is always trying to get things done as soon as possible), filled out the medical pre-screen paperwork in his office, and he sent it over to MEPS and was able to get me an appointment for Friday morning. There really wasn't much to it. But I have never had surgery/broken bones or anything like that so I didn't have any medical records to track down.

Cool, hopefully I can get it all done just as fast.

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
I got denied for MEPS the first time due to surgery on my hip in high school from me growing so fast and the bones not being able to keep up.

But I got a waiver to go in anyways and that was the one hurdle.

My NRD has you do MEPS & PRT before you submit your package.

SOOOO glad I don't have to go back there.

getawaydriver

What percentage get LCS?
roger that - "Bend over and spread your butt"

HOT! Wait who typed that?

Just f-ing around.

Yeh, I am not sure what the hell to do now. I don't want to get rolled into some whack ass designator.

If I can go intel, with my background, so be it. But I do want to know what the hell is going on.

More phone calls...

getawaydriver

What percentage get LCS?
My Lasek/ik info is ust as confusing as the others sorry :/

It's all good dude. That seems to be the crux of the game here. I have a lot of telephone calls to make today...

I just want to make sure I am not setting myself up for the NAMI Whammi.

As I said, it was the first thing I asked about when I walked into my NRD office, but as others have mentioned, and as we seem to have learned, this is the most confusing and conflicted issue in Naval Aviation.

AGonxAV8R

HAMPS
pilot
I just looked at the calendar... Crap I am cutting it close......! I cannot do the PRT until next week (Lady that does it and process it is on Vacation). How long does it take to get a full select after all my documents (PRT) are in?

DukeAndrewJ

Divo without a division
Contributor
I just looked at the calendar... Crap I am cutting it close......! I cannot do the PRT until next week (Lady that does it and process it is on Vacation). How long does it take to get a full select after all my documents (PRT) are in?

earliest I have seen is about 3 weeks, but usually 2 months is more realistic.

Have you done MEPS yet? because apparently it takes a couple of weeks for them to process your blood/urine samples before you can submit for final select (at least this is what I was told last week by my recruiter)

AGonxAV8R

HAMPS
pilot
The only item I am lacking is the PRT. I did MEPS about six month ago before my recruiter lost my package... I tried to do the PRT earlier, but they kept saying just wait...

DukeAndrewJ

Divo without a division
Contributor
The only item I am lacking is the PRT. I did MEPS about six month ago before my recruiter lost my package... I tried to do the PRT earlier, but they kept saying just wait...

well then hopefully once you get that PRT everything goes quickly.

It would seem ridiculous to me if they give you a pro-rec knowing your age, but then disqualify you for not getting an OCS date early enough to stay within the limit. If it is going to be close, is there any chance they would let you slide and commission shortly after you turn 27?