• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

August 09 Boards

dubv

1st Draft Motivational Statement, Feedback Appreciated

[FONT=&quot]I’m seeking a commission with the United States Navy because I want an opportunity to serve my country in an extraordinary way. A way that is not readily available to civilians, a way that will allow me to uphold the highest standards of honor, courage, and commitment. My aspiration to serve my country cannot be condensed into a mere 400 words, but quoting Abraham Lincoln provides great insight as to my motives. “I like to see a man proud of the place in which he lives. I like to see a man live so that his place will be proud of him.” These two sentences, although short, have been a tremendous source of inspiration to me throughout the years. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I do not remember a single moment in time when I was not proud to be a citizen of the United States. Now it’s time for me to assume those responsibilities and commitments which will undoubtedly make my country proud of me. This is my goal.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I suppose individuals have successfully achieved similar goals with other branches of the armed forces in the past. However, I strongly feel that the Navy is better suited to allow me to serve my country in a multitude of ways both traditionally and non-traditionally. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Furthermore, I am confident that my personal values, morals, leadership attributes, intellect, commitment, and drive will allow me to strive as a Naval Officer. I have consistently and successfully shown these characteristics in the past and they will continue to mold my actions in the future regardless of my path.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]That being said, my ideal path with the Navy and my first choice of an officer program is in the Naval Aviator community. This has been something I’ve wanted to pursue since childhood. Initially, my interest was sparked by my uncle who successfully retired after serving 22 years as a Marine Core Pilot and was a member of Marine One. Again, my uncle simply sparked my curiosity; I have my own motives for wanting to become a Pilot. I’m fully aware of the exceptional capacity required to become a member of such a community and I have not underestimated these requirements in the least. Moreover, I’m certain that the characteristics mentioned previously will not only allow me to triumph over such a challenge, but more importantly achieve success as an officer and concur my desire to serve my country.[/FONT]

DukeAndrewJ

Divo without a division
Contributor
Knocked out the PRT yesterday and had the pleasure of MEPS this morning. MEPS wasn't fun, but also wasn't as bad as I heard it could be - being the only non-enlistee there I got to go to the front of all the lines. I was in at 6 and out by 930. A nice doc gave me a lil wiggle room on the eye exam, and I failed the shit out of the depth perception test, but I don't think this will be a problem as I was pro-rec'd swo. Hopefully my blood work will come back quickly and I can submit my package for the FS.

SWOHopeful

Knocked out the PRT yesterday and had the pleasure of MEPS this morning. MEPS wasn't fun, but also wasn't as bad as I heard it could be - being the only non-enlistee there I got to go to the front of all the lines. I was in at 6 and out by 930. A nice doc gave me a lil wiggle room on the eye exam, and I failed the shit out of the depth perception test, but I don't think this will be a problem as I was pro-rec'd swo. Hopefully my blood work will come back quickly and I can submit my package for the FS.

That's what I'm talking about man! Get in and get out, I hope you get your FS soon as well.

getawaydriver

What percentage get LCS?

Damn, I would love to move that fast. How was the depth perception test?

I think I should be okay but, going aviation, I'm a little worried. What was the deal with it if you don't mind sharing?

Great to hear on that.

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
Damn, I would love to move that fast. How was the depth perception test?

I think I should be okay but, going aviation, I'm a little worried. What was the deal with it if you don't mind sharing?

Great to hear on that.

Depth perception can be a bit tricky but its passable. Take your time, I took my sweet ass time on a few of them and the doctors didn't say anything.

You'll have a set of circles and you're supposed to choose which circle pops out at you (kind of like the magic eye puzzles). They started out easy but got harder, sometimes dont think about it so much and let your eyes adjust and scan.

It worked for me but good luck, you'll be fine!

getawaydriver

What percentage get LCS?
Depth perception can be a bit tricky but its passable. Take your time, I took my sweet ass time on a few of them and the doctors didn't say anything.

You'll have a set of circles and you're supposed to choose which circle pops out at you (kind of like the magic eye puzzles). They started out easy but got harder, sometimes dont think about it so much and let your eyes adjust and scan.

Thanks for the intel dude.

Those magic eye puzzles always jacked me up as a kid. I never saw a damn dolphin or whatever-the-hell was hidden among the boxes.

fuzzy

2nd time around

I just found out that it's a no-go for me for SWO/NFO for 08/2009---still waiting on Supply but with an 8% acceptance last month I doubt the chances--my numbers were alright 5/7/5 with a 50 OAR and I've got a solid GPA--3.93, good extracirriculars/leadership experience/LORs, etc. Already completed PRT (not great scores, but mid range) and been to MEPS--so I am definitely considering taking the test again to reapply---

my question to everyone (as I believe I'd get a more down to earth response from the community rather than what I got from NORS): my only issue is a minor criminal case from a few years ago (never went to court, non existent to anyone outside of a US Government Sec Clearance)--but I'm wondering if my black spot will be an automatic disqualifier no matter what my package looks like--not that I'm going to give up, but I was just wondering if anyone has ever heard of someone sneaking through with that kind of issue...

thanks and congrats to everybody who'll be serving!!

DukeAndrewJ

Divo without a division
Contributor

There is a whole depth perception thread on AW (I am too lazy to search for it) full of advice, but I pretty much knew I was SOL on the circle test. I couldn't even do the first few, but I have amblyopia which basically means one of my eyes is super dominant. If you have normal vision, I am sure it is a lot easier. Plus, I have heard of a lot of people failing the MEPS test who were able to go do a different test at a civilian doc and get cleared.

DukeAndrewJ

Divo without a division
Contributor
my only issue is a minor criminal case from a few years ago (never went to court, non existent to anyone outside of a US Government Sec Clearance)--but I'm wondering if my black spot will be an automatic disqualifier no matter what my package looks like

I am sure it depends on what the case involved, but a criminal case in and of itself isn't an automatic DQ. I had a minor in possession charge when I was 20 - expunged so also non-existent to all but government checks; I am sure it didn't help my cause, but I was still able to get a pro-rec.

fuzzy

I am sure it depends on what the case involved, but a criminal case in and of itself isn't an automatic DQ. I had a minor in possession charge when I was 20 - expunged so also non-existent to all but government checks; I am sure it didn't help my cause, but I was still able to get a pro-rec.

thanks Duke--same charge (prob without verdict)--appreciate the quick response--that info is helpful on a day like today!

getawaydriver

What percentage get LCS?

Pike, Duke and Pilot, thanks for all the help. I made an eye appointment with the doctor that did my LASIK in 04 to get a general vision test and depth perception test this week. I want to go in there knowing where things stand.

At the age of six I thought I was SOL to fly for the Navy. I feel that an appointment is well worth it.

Never thought I would be here.

DukeAndrewJ

Divo without a division
Contributor
Pike, Duke and Pilot, thanks for all the help. I made an eye appointment with the doctor that did my LASIK in 04 to get a general vision test and depth perception test this week. I want to go in there knowing where things stand.

At the age of six I thought I was SOL to fly for the Navy. I feel that an appointment is well worth it.

Never thought I would be here.

It's definitely worth it - if anything just to put your mind at ease.

by the way, where in NoVa you from? I grew up in fairfax co - went to Marshall HS.