• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Attn: all strapping young Navy Men! ;)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Amin wasn't actually at Entebbe, though the Israelis pretended to be his convoy at the beginning of the assault.

You're correct that Israelis did fly in a surrogate Mercedes to mimick Admin's entourage to get past armed guards. I doubt he did much to earn very many of them and that was my point about the them being just about as meaningful; he was likely asleep when Israelis excuted a brilliant raid and recovered the hostages. Many dictators have impressive badges, medals, sashes and ribbons that they did nothing to earn, but wear so they are sporting more salad than their generals and impress their neighbors and visitors.

Of course, emperors and kings are much better. How many of these woudl you venture are more than honorary?

_41969716_hirohito_300.jpg

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
+1 for Recce as he's likely well before your time. Wonder if the top right "badge" is for surviving the raid On Entebbe

Threadjack: Forrest Whitaker did an EXCELLENT job in "The Last King of Scotland". If you have not had a chance to see it, it's a must.

/Threadjack

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Threadjack: Forrest Whitaker did an EXCELLENT job in "The Last King of Scotland". If you have not had a chance to see it, it's a must.

/Threadjack

Not really a threadjack as it relates. Besides, another example of questionable "chest salad". Looks awfully like a Navy Unit Commendation (NUC) among the other ribbons!

image.jpg

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Not really a threadjack as it relates. Besides, another example of questionable "chest salad". Looks awfully like a Navy Unit Commendation (NUC) among the other ribbons!

image.jpg

The middle row, on the right side- that looks like the Navy Marine Corps Medal.

Just my thought...

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot

/Threadjack

Very true, great movie. I never heard anything about it until they were advertising it on a flight I was on somewhere.

I'd also like to add that I will personally slap anyone I discover had the ability to take this incredible opportunity and passed it up (that is, anyone of the O-1 or MIDN persuasion, of course).

Oh, and sorry for that double post back there...thanks Heyjoe for fixing me.

P3 F0

None
@m0at- ROTC ribbons look just like any other ribbons, you're just extremely gay if you wear them. I don't understand how you can't feel like a fag for wearing a PRT ribbon when the dude next to you is wearing a Bronze Star or Purple Heart.
/rant
While true, I'd hate to see someone not help out here just because of some ribbon or medal stigma. If you're a middie, I'd say wear the SDB's and whatever medals you have. It looks a lot better than nothing, and it's not like you can go out and earn real ones at this point. Be proud of what you have and screw your unit regs if they say you can't wear 'em socially.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
While true, I'd hate to see someone not help out here just because of some ribbon or medal stigma. If you're a middie, I'd say wear the SDB's and whatever medals you have. It looks a lot better than nothing, and it's not like you can go out and earn real ones at this point. Be proud of what you have and screw your unit regs if they say you can't wear 'em socially.

There are only middie ribbons, not medals. I guess maybe there are active duty ribbons that look the same as some MIDN ribbons, and therefore you might be able to pick up lookalike medals, but it would be incorrect.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There are some medals for ROTC ribbons awarded by outside sources. The American Legion gives out a bunch for academic excellence, mil aptitude, etc., that all have medals associated with them. I personally never wore them in ROTC when the occasion prescribed it since they were my only ones and it would have looked stupid.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
There are some medals for ROTC ribbons awarded by outside sources. The American Legion gives out a bunch for academic excellence, mil aptitude, etc., that all have medals associated with them. I personally never wore them in ROTC when the occasion prescribed it since they were my only ones and it would have looked stupid.

Interesting.....good to know (or maybe not :) )

cosmania

Gitty Up!
pilot
This is one of the greatest threads ever. By the way, Sir Francis Drake is a great hotel. Best beds ever!!!! If only I was 20 years younger. . . and a woman!