• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ATSB Questions

FastMover

NFO
None
Hey folks I am in need of some help for my brother and according to all of you that has written on this post I think you can help my brother! He has taken the ASTB twice already and is having to take it again for the third and final time! I don't know his scores off hand but I think his previous time he took it he had a 7/6/6/ 44. I am done and am going into the marine aviation program. I have done everything I can to help my brother and I am not sure what else to do to help him. He has taken versions 4 and 5 of the test and his next version will be 3 if I am not mistaken. He says his biggest problems are the mechanical and verbal comprehension parts of the test. Please if anyone of you can help out Corey, please let me know anything can help!
Respectfully,
Tombstone

Your brother is in luck! In my opinion, Version 3 is the easiest of the bunch (I've taken three and four, and have heard that five sucks)! If he doesn't already, tell him to start reading the gouge on Airwarriors!

!!!!:D:D:D

Seriously, if he did as well as you indicated on the other versions, he should not have a problem scoring well on three.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
Find the Marine gouge with the F-18 on the cover. It explains how to solve alot of the mechanical problems. I found the math on that to be way easier than the math section.

Tombstone

I have the gouge with the F-18 on the front, but is there any material that can help practice for the reading comprehension? What would be the best thing to use for that besides a tutor which is also a good suggestion. Keep sending me anything that helped you all pass this test.

FastMover

NFO
None
I have the gouge with the F-18 on the front, but is there any material that can help practice for the reading comprehension? What would be the best thing to use for that besides a tutor which is also a good suggestion. Keep sending me anything that helped you all pass this test.

I remember the reading comp from Version Three well. They use a lot of acronyms to try to get you to trip up. Stuff like CNAT, COMFIT, etc. Many times they will use three or four in one question...makes it difficult to read. (EDIT: I believe that this kind of stuff was actually in the supplemental section of the test.)

The trick is to read carefully but quickly. I remember having to read through some of them multiple times before arriving at an answer. In my studies, I never really saw a good representation of what was on the test. My advice would be to just study the good ole ARCO book and hope for the best.

Conaway

I retook the ASTB this morning for my second attempt. I had Form 5 and if I remember correctly, I think I had Form 4 the first time. I must say, 5 was much easier than the other. Without knowing my scores, I feel I did really well and will post them when I find out next Monday.

stepintoliquid

I retook the ASTB this morning for my second attempt. I had Form 5 and if I remember correctly, I think I had Form 4 the first time. I must say, 5 was much easier than the other. Without knowing my scores, I feel I did really well and will post them when I find out next Monday.

interesting to hear. alot of people seem to think form 5 is pretty tough. glad to hear someone else feels differently.

i'm still waiting on my scores. nami hasnt emailed me back, and my oso has been out of the office all this week. probably the worst wait of my life lol.

Conaway

interesting to hear. alot of people seem to think form 5 is pretty tough. glad to hear someone else feels differently.

i'm still waiting on my scores. nami hasnt emailed me back, and my oso has been out of the office all this week. probably the worst wait of my life lol.

Not that it's a good thing, but I'm pretty sure my 8 month wait for my medical waiver was worse. You'll survive.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
I thought 5 was easier. It seemed to have more equations then word problems.

Conaway

Really? I hope I don't have a false sense of confidence, I would be extremely pissed. Haha. I just felt like I saw everything that I studied the day before. Maybe, I just got lucky and God decided to show me all the right stuff before the test. :)

stepintoliquid

well i found out today i didnt pass. the secretary at my oso office spoke with the grader on pensacola, and thats how she found out. however, i wont have the scores back until monday or tuesday because my oso office doesnt have internet today.

i have no idea how i couldnt have passed...i studied my ass off and was expecting to celebrate when i got my scores. i have tried calling and emailing nami myself for my results, but no one ever answers or replies. this sucks.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
well i found out today i didnt pass. the secretary at my oso office spoke with the grader on pensacola, and thats how she found out. however, i wont have the scores back until monday or tuesday because my oso office doesnt have internet today.

i have no idea how i couldnt have passed...i studied my ass off and was expecting to celebrate when i got my scores. i have tried calling and emailing nami myself for my results, but no one ever answers or replies. this sucks.

Pass? I'm sure you know it's not a pass/fail type of event. If you get it back and it's all 3s and 4s then I suppose you could say you didn't pass. If that's the language the secretary used, then I would take it with a brick of salt b/c that person doesn't know what he/she is talking about. Just by usng that language, he/she would have lost credit with me. Either that or the person on the other end of the line was so pissed that you wouldn't leave them the hell alone that they'd give you a stupid answer. Reseve your self -judgement for when you're holding your score in your hand.

That said, if you get your trash back and your score isn't competitive, then just work harder on the areas that your score reflected that you sucked at. If you fail again, I suggest you try something else. Some people aren't meant to be naval aviators, and that's okay, too.

...And how about using the shift key once i awhile.

Conaway

They only reply directly to candidates if the email comes from a .edu or .mil address. The info of who to email and what exactly to request is somewhere here on the forums. I found it last year and got my scores myself even before my OSO knew.