• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ATSB Questions

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Hey everyone,

I took the ASTB for the first time in December and didn't do very well. I didn't study that much, and I had no idea what to expect going into it (not knowing of this website prior to that). I'm taking the test again on Wed. Aug 1st. This time I am going into it a lot better prepared. A lot of study plus gouge from this website should prove invaluable. The first test I took was test # 3. Does anyone have any thoughts about test # 3 in comparison with test 4 or 5? Just curious. I'm taking it paper and pencil too, which I think will help me considering thats how I study.

-Ken

shotcalla10

what percent of RL officers get jets?
From what people are saying, test 3 is the easiest. I only took test 3 and I thought it wasn't too bad if you studied the Gouge. I've also heard that test 4 is harder than test 5. so in order of easy to difficult; 3, 5, 4. but understand the concepts and you should be fine with any test.

coreymiller1

OCC 198 hopeful
I just got done taking it a few days ago and I didn't study the naval and aeronautical section near enough. That's beside the point. There was one question that took me forever to do, but in the end I think I got it right. It was something along the lines of "if 'a' stamps cost 'c' then what do 'd' stamps cost?" I can't remember now exactly how it was worded so sorry if I completely butchered it. The answer I got was "ac/d" or "d/ac" I don't remember which. Anyone remember this question and the answer to it? Thanks

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
if 'a' stamps cost 'c', then a = c. If you're looking for 'd', then it's

d = c/a

because you're trying to cancel out 'a' on both sides, which would yield d = c/a.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
I think it'd be dc/a. 1 stamp costs S. a stamps cost c --> aS=c --> S=c/a

d stamps cost dS --> d stamps cost dc/a.

DukeDevil

Stamps question

I think beans is right. If you plug in random numbers, it works. Let's say 1 stamp costs $2, S=2; substitute 5 for a stamps, so if a stamps =c then 5 stamps x $2 = $10-->5(2)=10; If you want to find out how much d stamps cost, let's say d=3 (3 stamps would cost $6) then dc/a=the cost of d stamps-->3(10)/5=$6.

coreymiller1

OCC 198 hopeful
Yea like I said I'm pretty sure I wrote it wrong on here I was just trying to give an idea of what it said. That's how I ended up solving it was just giving them numbers and solving it like a word problem. Thanks
By the way Duke that is a hilarious quote. We should've studied Jack Handy quotes in my last philosophy class.

Conaway

For you guys who have taken the ASTB, how does it compare with the common standardized tests (ACT, SAT, Etc.). Just wanted to get a feel for mainly the math and english sections. Thanks Guys.

Pretty much the same types of questions. It's been so long since I took the SAT, there's a good chance the ASTB has simpler questions. It also depends on the form you are given. Some are seen as harder than others. I thought 4 was harder than 5. Don't ask me how I scored the same on both.

Conaway

I just got my ASTB score back today, which ended up being:AQR: 6PFAR: 6FOFAR: 7OAR: 55

I know that the scores for the Marines are basically pass/fail, I think this falls into the fail category, but I was wondering if this score is wavierable if I'm applying for a SNA slot? My Navy recruiter advised me to retake the test and I haven't talked to my OSO yet, which is why I'm asking the question here. I've been leaning towards the Marines, so if they would take the scores it would NOT be the deciding factor, just to make sure thats clear.

My study habits were a bit lacking before this test, and it was my first time, but I try to avoid standardized tests like the plague. So any way to avoid taking the ASTB again would be good thing.

If I do have to retake the test, does anybody have and good gouge on forms 3 and 4?

Thanks,
Adam

No actually, you passed. I made a 5/6/5 both times. The first time I thought it was bad then they told me to retake it. I scored the same and then I was told that I had a good score? We've all been talking about the score for passing to be a 6/6/6, that was true in the past. I don't know what it is now, but they said HQ considers my numbers a qualifying score for pilot...so you're fine.

I took the ASTB last week, and scored a 6/6/6 56, and was told by my OSO that this is above average in general, and about average for people with competitive packages. Having never applied for USMC OCC/ PLC, or been on a selection board, I don't know with certainty if its pass/ fail, rather then just one aspect that's considered along with everything else. I do feel confident that the Marine Corps would be willing to take you with that score. (I was prior enlisted USMC, and some of those officers were not the sharpest bayonets in the armoury.)

Also, I wasn't satisfied with my ASTB score either, but my OSO strongly suggested against taking it again, on the off chance of scoring lower, and he considered it fairly competitive already. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

They told me mine was above average too. I don't see how, but we qualified, so I guess it doesn't matter.

Tombstone

Ok folks here is the deal need your help big time. My brother Corey takes the test next Friday. I have helped my brother study for the ASTB for the last month and this is his final time to take the test. He has taken forms 4 and 5 so that leaves him with form 3 left. He is taking it on pencil and paper. I have just a few questions to ask. Is form 3 the same on the computer as it is on paper, or is it different? Finally I need anyone that has taken form 3 to please just spill your guts as to what was on that form. It is crunch time for my brother and he has got to pass this test just like I did, and I don't know what else to do, please tell what you all know as soon as possible.
Thanks again
Respectfully,
Keith (Tombstone)

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
If he isnt ready to take it, he shouldn't. What scores did he get?

WVUBetaHornet

Sweep the leg..
If he isnt ready to take it, he shouldn't. What scores did he get?

Agreed...if you've been studying with him every step of the way, and you have, in fact, taken it yourself...then you should know if he is ready or not.
You're pleading on the forums for people to 'spill their guts' and it makes it sound kind of like a desperation move...he can always take the next one...and if indeed it is his last and final time to take this exam...tell him not to rush it, take another few weeks to study and get the stuff down that he's having trouble with...and only when he, not you, feels comfortable, should he take it..after all, this is his future we're talking about.

Good luck to your brother, keep us informed.

WishICouldFly

UO Future Pork Chop
please just spill your guts

From what I understand, Form 3 is the 'easiest'. It was pretty straightforward, I don't remember any tricks on it, the Math was high school SAT level, reading was a little more difficult (mebbe I nver learnd to reed good) in the type of questions you had to answer.
Mechanical was simpler than the Marine Corps Mechanical Gouge
Aviation/Nautical history, your bro will be fine if he has looked up US Navy on Wikipedia, studied on Boat safety, and learned a little about aviation
Spatial Apperception is Spatial Apperception

It's the last time for him to take it IN his LIFE. Let him take his time.

new user

Man, I'm getting scared because some folks say it's just like the ARCO books and others saying it's nothing like the ARCO books. And then there are some folks that were confident and then found out they didn't do as well as they thought they'd do. UGH.

I'm getting scared because I felt confident after going through the ARCO books and the GRE/GMAT books and being able to answer the questions, knowing the formulas and concepts, etc. I did well on the spatial and now people are saying it's nothing like the ARCO books and they did well in the practice exams but not on the real one.

So is the spatial like the ones in the Marine gouge if they're not like the ARCO ones?

Conaway

Ok folks here is the deal need your help big time. My brother Corey takes the test next Friday. I have helped my brother study for the ASTB for the last month and this is his final time to take the test. He has taken forms 4 and 5 so that leaves him with form 3 left. He is taking it on pencil and paper. I have just a few questions to ask. Is form 3 the same on the computer as it is on paper, or is it different? Finally I need anyone that has taken form 3 to please just spill your guts as to what was on that form. It is crunch time for my brother and he has got to pass this test just like I did, and I don't know what else to do, please tell what you all know as soon as possible.
Thanks again
Respectfully,
Keith (Tombstone)

First of all, don't stress about it so much. Putting too much pressure on yourself will only hurt you. I never took form 3, I took 4 and 5. Concentrate on math knowledge, mechanical comprehension, and arithmetic. Math is used to compute all the scores, so it's very important. The aviation portions have are, for the most part, the easiest b/c it's all knowledge you memorize and it's where you can score a lot of easy points. Especially on the spatial aperception section. Good luck!