• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB - Prep/Study Guide feedback

Sapper!

Excuse the BS...
Hey I'm sure this is probably somehow illegal but I have actually bought the ARCO book twice, donated it to the test center in Baghram on my way out and since I had taken the AFAST and didn't need it anymore. Fast forward 3 years, here I am again and just thought about all you people looking study as well and don't you know I actually have that sucker on DIGITS! Totally forgot about it, anyone stumbling across this post, send me a PM with your email address in it and I will shoot it over to you, hopefully save you 25 bucks or so!

Cullen

TheBirdy

pilot
If you google ARCO Military Flight Aptitude Test the whole book is on a PDF file on the 3rd link down.

Kanjelman7

Hey guys,

Just going back to atrickplay's study guide:

[FONT=&quot]1) [/FONT]How much pure acid must be added to 12 ounces of a 40% acid solution in order to produce a 60% acid solution?
I thought the guide's method was confusing. The following made more sense to me (from my chemistry notes):

M1V1 + M2V2 = M3(V1+V2) ; where M = concentration and V = volume
(ideally those numbers are supposed to be subscripts but i don't know how to do that in a forum post)

Therefore,

(0.40)(12oz) + (1.00)(V2) = (0.60)(12+V2)

solve for V2 = 6oz

-------------------------------------
one more question:

[FONT=&quot]1) [/FONT]A tank that holds 450 gallons of water can be filled by 1 pipe in 15 minutes, and emptied by another in 30 min. How long would it take to fill the tank if both pipes are open?
I'm not sure if my method is correct (I was going strictly by unit analysis) but I was hoping it was an easier/faster way than how atrickplay solved this problem. Basically,

net rate = fill rate - empty rate

Therefore, net rate = (450gal/15min) - (450gal/30min) = 450gal/30min

So if you look at the net rate, you see that 450gal pairs to 30min so 30 min is the answer. (Is this a valid logic/approach to solving this problem?)

------------------------------
Also, were there any other discrepancies/mistakes in atrickplay's study guide? The only one I caught so far is:
[FONT=&quot]1) [/FONT]A businesswoman spends 1/5 of her income for rent, and 3/8 of the remainder goes towards salary. How much does she have remaining?
The answer is supposed to be 1/2 (I hope).

I wish you all 50+++ on your upcoming ASTB exams! :icon_tong

------------------------------

atrickplay, if you're still active on this forum, i just want to thank you for passing on your knowledge and gouge for others to use. :D

Sapper!

Excuse the BS...
yeah for the second one just figure out flow in minus flow out and then set equal to the net gain....so you have 30gal/min - 15gal/min. Net gain of 15 gal/minute. 450/15 equals 30 min. It little problems like that, remember to carry out unit operations from left to right and if the units don't make sense (not in minutes for example) then something is fishy, at least it can help. You got that one. It's late and I have a calc 3 test in the AM i need to finish up studying for....

Sapper!

Excuse the BS...
hopefully i'm reading the second one right....we are looking for 1/5 + 3/8 is what she spends and the rest is the "remainder?" If that is what it is then we are doing some fraction work here...so her salary is equal to 1-(1/5+3/8), least common denominator is 40, so we get 1-8/40-15/40= which is 17/40 which equals 42.5% of income remaining.

for the percent mixture problem I'm actually a little ashamed, I'm a chemical engineering major and I'm gonna have to pop out a book real quick to make sure I'm thinking correctly

Not exactly sure that it is a ratio but if it is so your answer is correct. You can also just set 12/40 = V/60 and cross multiply and then divide to get the ratio. Just seem to remember preparing certain molar solutions a little bit differently, but this isn't exactly the same?? I'll take a look at my book tomorrow, hope that helps some

cameron172

pilot
Wow! I'm looking at some of the older posts and it seems like using this site is the key to blowing the test out of the water! I got an 8/8/8 67 after studying this web site like the Bible. People I know got 4s and 5s before I told them about this forum, and now they're getting 7s, 8s, and 9s. Good stuff everybody!

JEP

I am taking a retest and also studying artipaks study guide. I would love to know do we need to know cloud physical looks, or just types and altitudes (levels).

dhinkle5

pilot
Hey Everyone, specific test question here. I'm racking my brain and don't understand what the study guide is saying.

(x-y)^2= 40 and x^2+y^2=60, then xy=

a)40
b)20
c)12
d)10

The correct answer is (d) but for the life of me I don't understand why.

Anyone care to take a shot at playing teacher?

Thanks!

Deere1450

pilot
Hey Everyone, specific test question here. I'm racking my brain and don't understand what the study guide is saying.

(x-y)^2= 40 and x^2+y^2=60, then xy=

a)40
b)20
c)12
d)10

The correct answer is (d) but for the life of me I don't understand why.

Anyone care to take a shot at playing teacher?

Thanks!

(x-y)^2=40
x^2-2xy+y^2=40
x^2+y^2-2xy=40

Since x^2+y^2=60, we can sub this in our calculations above.

60-2xy=40
-2xy=-20
xy=10

JEP

OK thanks for the Cloud info and I have no idea ^ means in the problem above. Or what the problem is at all.

Deere1450

pilot
OK thanks for the Cloud info and I have no idea ^ means in the problem above. Or what the problem is at all.

The "^" means to the power of. So, if I wanted to say "x squared", I would type x^2. If I wanted to say "y cubed", I would type y^3. Etc etc.

The problem in question is a problem from one of the ASTB review books. You may see something similar on your test. I would suggest looking it over and understanding it.

JEP

The "^" means to the power of. So, if I wanted to say "x squared", I would type x^2. If I wanted to say "y cubed", I would type y^3. Etc etc.

The problem in question is a problem from one of the ASTB review books. You may see something similar on your test. I would suggest looking it over and understanding it.

Yea I have gone over that problem many times. I have a question. I have gone over the Arco and Barron’s and study guide thoroughly but wondering which books have the guys with the good scores been having luck with? I also have the Arco OAR book and it has 75 problems of arithmetic and 75 problems of math. I have noticed some from the Barron’s but more from the Arco ASTB book. The problem with the Arco OAR I am having is 150 problems of math to remember how to do is rather rough. The math portion not so bad but the 75 arithmetic problems is the killer. I am wondering if I should just stick to the Barron’s ASTB and ARCO Astb and not study the ARCO OAR as much.

Deere1450

pilot
I've never looked at the Arco OAR book. My advice would be to study as much as you can, and everything you can. I used the Arco ASTB, Barron's ASTB and Atrickpay's study guide (use the search function to find the study guide). Atrickpay's study guide was my most useful source for knowledge, but the Arco and Barron's was my best source for speed. Speed is a huge factor for the test. You will not be able to get tied up into a problem for too long. I know it seems like a pain in the ass to study from 5 or 6 different sources, but believe me, it'll be worth it in the end. The more exposed you are, the better off you'll be.

In summary, if you have the cash or access to a free download of the Arco OAR, go for it.