• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB - Prep/Study Guide feedback

jpa140

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-....,cf.osb&fp=356c7b1cf3f11b59&biw=1280&bih=666

i searched military flight aptitude tests on google and came up with these results...im wondering if the first link in the one Robby used?

also did anyone use the LEARNING EXPRESS officer candidates tests book? im using it and it feels like the material is nothing close to what the other books or ATRICKPAYs study guide follows

has anyone taken test for 3 or 4? i took 5 2 yrs ago and didnt score too well and finally taking it this time in about 2 weeks

materials i have: marine gouge, arco book, barons book, atricpays study guide, and spatial apperception class hand out, astb test prep, and of course learning express book.

i have the links if some of you want them....just let me know

ancheta140@yahoo.com

Echo24

I'm Pilot.
pilot
http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&source=hp&q=military flight aptitude tests pdf&pbx=1&oq=military flight aptitude tests pdf&aq=f&aqi=g1&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=4744l5392l2l5475l4l4l0l0l0l0l261l759l2-3l3l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=356c7b1cf3f11b59&biw=1280&bih=666

i searched military flight aptitude tests on google and came up with these results...im wondering if the first link in the one Robby used?

also did anyone use the LEARNING EXPRESS officer candidates tests book? im using it and it feels like the material is nothing close to what the other books or ATRICKPAYs study guide follows

has anyone taken test for 3 or 4? i took 5 2 yrs ago and didnt score too well and finally taking it this time in about 2 weeks

materials i have: marine gouge, arco book, barons book, atricpays study guide, and spatial apperception class hand out, astb test prep, and of course learning express book.

i have the links if some of you want them....just let me know

ancheta140@yahoo.com

I took (form 4) and scored a 6/7/7 OAR 51.

Afterwards I realized a vital book that could have improve my score.
The FAA handbook. Almost all the scores 8+/8+/8+ have recommended it.

jpa140

I took (form 4) and scored a 6/7/7 OAR 51.

Afterwards I realized a vital book that could have improve my score.
The FAA handbook. Almost all the scores 8+/8+/8+ have recommended it.[/quote

Maverick.... Will u be retaking the test or r u satisfied with your score?

Echo24

I'm Pilot.
pilot

It's a tough call. I also have a 3.37 GPA in systems engineering which should be up to a 3.4+ by the end of second semester.
Most of the packages that were submitted by my school/unit in the past and received a flight slot (SNA) were much weaker than mine.
I personally want to retake it, as I feel the other forms have shown to produce more favorable results and I now know what to expect, however everyone I talk to says to hold my score because my package looks safe at this moment.

I hate safe. I want overkill but sometimes you have to eat your pride. What did you score?

jpa140

It's a tough call. I also have a 3.37 GPA in systems engineering which should be up to a 3.4+ by the end of second semester.
Most of the packages that were submitted by my school/unit in the past and received a flight slot (SNA) were much weaker than mine.
I personally want to retake it, as I feel the other forms have shown to produce more favorable results and I now know what to expect, however everyone I talk to says to hold my score because my package looks safe at this moment.

I hate safe. I want overkill but sometimes you have to eat your pride. What did you score?

my first try was a 38.....that was 2 years ago. at that point i only had the arco book and the marine gouge and the astb test prep. i didnt study to well cuz i just wanted to see how the test was. kinda mad at my self now that it took me almost 2 years to retake it. but at the same time i was unemployed and needed money so i had to hold off on it and look for a job.

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA

@Maverick
It depends on your math. I rocked every section and had 15 min left on some sections and at least 5 min on other sections.. Math I ran out of time on and messed up on more than a handful of questions.. I got a 7 7 6 58... If I had done pretty solid on the math I think my scores would be way higher. That's really the only thing I can think of that holds the most weight. I was decent at the aviation questions but a few questions for instrument rated pilots were on there and I just didn;t know them.. I doubt that would of gotten me 8's.. its an apptitude test. Having a lot of aviation knowledge is half the battle. The last thing I had time for was reading the FAA handbook from cover to cover.. I guess if you have nothing but time on your hands then knock yourself out.. Otherwise I simple ground school PPL book should help you a lot.

I'm a computer science major.. and started with a engineering degree.. I have expirence in math upto Calc 3 and Diff EQ.. You would think I would of had a good grasp on math ;).. But I haven't seen that math in a while besides reviewing it a little.. It's mostly algebra word problems that got me..

Echo24

I'm Pilot.
pilot
@Maverick
It depends on your math. I rocked every section and had 15 min left on some sections and at least 5 min on other sections.. Math I ran out of time on and messed up on more than a handful of questions.. I got a 7 7 6 58... If I had done pretty solid on the math I think my scores would be way higher. That's really the only thing I can think of that holds the most weight. I was decent at the aviation questions but a few questions for instrument rated pilots were on there and I just didn;t know them.. I doubt that would of gotten me 8's.. its an apptitude test. Having a lot of aviation knowledge is half the battle. The last thing I had time for was reading the FAA handbook from cover to cover.. I guess if you have nothing but time on your hands then knock yourself out.. Otherwise I simple ground school PPL book should help you a lot.

I'm a computer science major.. and started with a engineering degree.. I have expirence in math upto Calc 3 and Diff EQ.. You would think I would of had a good grasp on math ;).. But I haven't seen that math in a while besides reviewing it a little.. It's mostly algebra word problems that got me..

I agree. Basic math still spites me on a regular basis while I have been through Calc III and Diff EQ as well. I was aiming at, if you are good at the math and mechanical sections, the way to top it off is the wide variety of knowledge found in the private pilots FAA book. Math is simple, you either learn how to do the problems or you don't (very much like the SAT). Aviation knowledge on the other hand is very open ended and more of a how much do you care to learn situation. <--- I love Aviation so it was easy. However I did not know some of the higher level aviation knowledge questions that a private pilot would know.

I'm a big time simulator pilot.
real pilot>sim pilot

Chrispy

Officer Candidate Candidate
Hey folks!
Just wanted to add a data point to the conversation, here.
I took my ASTB today and did quite well (63/8/8/9), with most of my studying done in the last two weeks.
I used both of the Barron's books, primarily (Military Flight Aptitude Tests and Officer Candidate Tests), and while it's good to get some practice with pacing, these books are a bit of a s***show. Typos everywhere, uselessly-easy Spacial Apperception... you have to be ready to score your tests and then adjudicate between your answer and the one listed in the key. That being said, though, I did individual subjects every day for Week 1 and then took one full test each day of Week 2. Together, the books contain 4 full ASTBs. The nice thing about these, at least, is the math seemed far easier on the real test than what the Barron's books drilled me in.
I cannot recommend highly enough the "ASTB Personal Study Guide.doc" floating around.(Update: ...as well as, to a lesser degree, the "ASTB Gouge" PDF. Find both attached) If you study that, between airports, aerodynamics, weather, etc. as well as the mechanical section, you'll have insight that my study books sure didn't provide.
Finally, I got a used Ground School textbook for more Aero stuff, but didn't end up using it much. The one thing that my materials didn't cover effectively were the communication systems, so take some time to look that up.

Feel free to ask any other questions, especially while this whole experience is fresh in my mind!

Attachments

• ASTB_Personal_Study_Guide.pdf
    230.1 KB · Views: 219
  • ASTB_gouge.pdf
    474.9 KB · Views: 205

Chrispy

Officer Candidate Candidate
...also, though many others have recommended it, I don't think the FAA Handbook is necessary at all. In the last section of the test there were indeed some obscure things, but 95% of it *should* be on the gouge and at least a ground school text book. I got an FAR/AIM, and similar to the FAA Handbook, it's a good reference but less effective at teaching material. Ground School books (mine is "The Pilot's Manual - Ground School") seem to me a far more accessible way to get through that volume of information if you're going to attempt such a thing.

jpa140

So I just took astb form 3 this morning. IMHO I think it was a lot easier than form 5. I took form 5 about 2 years ago back in 09. Then again it might be because I actually studied well this time around. My books materials I have are:
Arco Book, Barron's Book, ASTB test prep, Atrickpay study guide, marine aviation guide book handout, Learning Express practice book, and some small sample tests I found online.

My break down:

Math: started off easy then the harder questions started to appear. I think the best thing to do is to move on and comeback to the question if it is too difficult since you are pressed for time. Atrickpay's study guide, Arco's and Barron's book were pretty useful too. But some questions were NOT IN ANY of my review materials. Whatever materials you can get on MATH just study it. You will be well prepared.

Reading Comprehension: I found this part a little tough because a lot of the answer either sounded right or all were wrong. I remembered that every answers are based on the paragraph itself and nothing else. I also found myself in the beginning thinking about some of the math questions i might have missed or didnt mark. the only thing you can do from here is move on. Only way to prepare for this section is just too read actively...newspapers, books, magazines, etc.

Mechanical: I was a bit worried going into this section because i was trying to remember all the formulas i would need for the calculations. But then i also remembered that this part has 3 answers to choose from. If you use the process of elimination for one answer then that leaves you with a 50/50 chance. Also if you do the calculations right for the pulleys or how much force is needed questions then the answer will appear. Some of it is also common sense ( asking which way will one turn if the other turns counterclockwise).

Spatial App: Its true what they say...no matter how many practice tests you do, it will not compare to the ones on the test. A lot of the pictures were views i've never actually seen. But still do as many practice questions as you can just so you become familiar with the views.

Aviation and Nautical: Atrickpay's study guide came very handy in this one. I cannot emphasize how many times you must review this study guide. It is a lot of material but it will pay off. And it's true what they say, this section is the most easiest section to do well on.

Aviation Supplemental test: A lot reading in this part. Kinda difficult because some questions i couldnt really figure out. Basically just a mix up of everything. By this time you might be a little drained as I was.

I'll know my scores by the end of this week or beginning of next week.

Echo24

I'm Pilot.
pilot
So I just took astb form 3 this morning. IMHO I think it was a lot easier than form 5. I took form 5 about 2 years ago back in 09. Then again it might be because I actually studied well this time around. My books materials I have are:
Arco Book, Barron's Book, ASTB test prep, Atrickpay study guide, marine aviation guide book handout, Learning Express practice book, and some small sample tests I found online.

My break down:

Math: started off easy then the harder questions started to appear. I think the best thing to do is to move on and comeback to the question if it is too difficult since you are pressed for time. Atrickpay's study guide, Arco's and Barron's book were pretty useful too. But some questions were NOT IN ANY of my review materials. Whatever materials you can get on MATH just study it. You will be well prepared.

Reading Comprehension: I found this part a little tough because a lot of the answer either sounded right or all were wrong. I remembered that every answers are based on the paragraph itself and nothing else. I also found myself in the beginning thinking about some of the math questions i might have missed or didnt mark. the only thing you can do from here is move on. Only way to prepare for this section is just too read actively...newspapers, books, magazines, etc.

Mechanical: I was a bit worried going into this section because i was trying to remember all the formulas i would need for the calculations. But then i also remembered that this part has 3 answers to choose from. If you use the process of elimination for one answer then that leaves you with a 50/50 chance. Also if you do the calculations right for the pulleys or how much force is needed questions then the answer will appear. Some of it is also common sense ( asking which way will one turn if the other turns counterclockwise).

Spatial App: Its true what they say...no matter how many practice tests you do, it will not compare to the ones on the test. A lot of the pictures were views i've never actually seen. But still do as many practice questions as you can just so you become familiar with the views.

Aviation and Nautical: Atrickpay's study guide came very handy in this one. I cannot emphasize how many times you must review this study guide. It is a lot of material but it will pay off. And it's true what they say, this section is the most easiest section to do well on.

Aviation Supplemental test: A lot reading in this part. Kinda difficult because some questions i couldnt really figure out. Basically just a mix up of everything. By this time you might be a little drained as I was.

I'll know my scores by the end of this week or beginning of next week.

Keep us posted.

teufelhunden75

I'm a 4/c Marine Option Mid trying to get the air guarantee this year so I need to be submitting my package here in the next couple of months so the astb is coming up fast. I'm a flight operations major getting ready to solo here in the next week or two, how much will being around aviation for my major help me on the test?