• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB - Prep/Study Guide feedback

6bt

Can someone PM me the Marine Gouge and the ASTB guides? Taking test on the 3rd.

Is the USMC test the same as the USN test?

Thanks.

cehw802

ASTB Help

I am taking the test jan 3rd and am wondering what materials i need to study for the aviation and nautical information part?! I have friends that are helo pilots and they have helped a lot, but their knowledge of the test is vague since they took it so long ago!

Thanks! ;)

GreenLantern330

I am taking the test jan 3rd and am wondering what materials i need to study for the aviation and nautical information part?! I have friends that are helo pilots and they have helped a lot, but their knowledge of the test is vague since they took it so long ago!

Thanks! ;)

You can find everyone's study guides in this thread if you search for it. A lot of people have suggested atrickpay's personal study guide, the FAA handbook, and the ARCO or Barron's MFAT books. Seems like that is the standard study materials. Best of luck on your test!

GreenLantern330

I was looking online to see how much the ARCO books are. I found 2 ARCO books on Barnes and Nobel's website and they seem to be identical but one is for ~$80 and the other is ~$20. Does anyone know what the difference is between these two books?

USSRyan

I am scheduled to take the test next week and have been studying for about 2-3 weeks now. I like to point out that Barron's "Officer Candidate School Tests" has many errors in the Math Section. Those answers in the explanation section are wrong!! I double checked with others and they confirmed.
Barron's other sections seem to be okay.

So, I am using "Officer Candidate Tests" by ACRO for the math review. It is a little outdated version but at least its simple tests are correct.

Thank you guys for the study tips.

Kanjelman7

Thanks ami,

I haven noticed so many mistakes in several of the books. Barrons, Learning Express, and Arcos - none of them have been able to figure it out apparently. Crappy editors....

Wouldn't it be great if there was a thread that contains user-contributed errata for those above mentioned books?

For example, when I go through the Barrons and Arco books, I'll make note of questions whose answers I want to challenge and then other users with those books can either agree with me (therefore adding to the errata list) or correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, I have yet to find the elusive marine gouge. I've tried the search function but most of the relevant threads are 3-4 years old with broken links :(

GreenLantern330

I believe the math gouge is a PDF, and I know it's on here somewhere. The first page, if what I have is *the* Marine math gouge, should say ASTB TEST PREP at the top followed by Dear OSO.... The second page starts the questions. On some questions, answer choices have been circled and there is work done on the side. Try to ignore it as the correct answer choices are given at the end of the test.

If anyone else thinks what I have just described is NOT the Marine math gouge, please feel free to correct me.

Kanjelman7

@GreenLantern330, I could not find the marine math gouge that you described on the first page of this thread, but from what I've been reading, the marine gouge I'm interested in is the one that covers about 80% of what you need to know on the nautical/aviation portions of the ASTB.

I did find a pdf that has the "Dear OSO" that you describe, and there are a lot of math questions too. I think this is not the marine gouge, though.

The file you are talking about can be obtained from here:
http://www.gouge.navygouge.com/index.php?title=ASTB

The file name says "ASTB_gouge.pdf"

In that same link I provided, if you look under the Primary Review Materials section, you will read:
This is a review sheet prepared by the USMC and which has been floating around the internet, sometimes referred to as the Marine Prep Sheet. This is the single most useful review material for the exam. In particular, it covers ~70-80% of the material on the Aviation/Nautical section, so study this sheet! If you commit the Aviation/Nautical information in this sheet to memory, that's already good enough for a competitive score on that section. It's only failing is that it lacks Spatial Apperception Questions. For that, you will want the following:
This, I believe, is the highly sought "marine gouge". If anyone has this, please! I will be very grateful and in turn will give gouge after studying and taking the test. ;)

GreenLantern330

@GreenLantern330, I could not find the marine math gouge that you described on the first page of this thread, but from what I've been reading, the marine gouge I'm interested in is the one that covers about 80% of what you need to know on the nautical/aviation portions of the ASTB.

I did find a pdf that has the "Dear OSO" that you describe, and there are a lot of math questions too. I think this is not the marine gouge, though.

The file you are talking about can be obtained from here:
http://www.gouge.navygouge.com/index.php?title=ASTB

The file name says "ASTB_gouge.pdf"

In that same link I provided, if you look under the Primary Review Materials section, you will read:

This, I believe, is the highly sought "marine gouge". If anyone has this, please! I will be very grateful and in turn will give gouge after studying and taking the test. ;)

Okay, just found this site with all the Marine gouge posted...

http://marinegouge.com/mediawiki-1.13.3/?title=Aviation_Selection_Test_Battery

Unfortunately, none of the links work. I think the site has been removed or something.

marathonman

I know this has probably been answered a lot but I'm having a hell of a time finding it. I have found the Arco book online before, but any link I find seems to be a dead link. Does anyone have a link to the Arco book that I can dl and print off? Thanks a lot!