• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB - Prep/Study Guide feedback

Evargas81

Hey there everyone... I'm a bit overwhelmed on this site trying to find study guides for the OAR portion of the ASTB.... I would really appreciate it if someone could please forward me the study guides that you have on hand..... let me know if you have any... thanks! :)

Evargas81

Also... which book is the best book to buy??? I'm reading many mixed reviews and not sure which is the best one to get..... any help is always appreciated! Thanks! :)

cameron172

pilot
Hey there everyone... I'm a bit overwhelmed on this site trying to find study guides for the OAR portion of the ASTB.... I would really appreciate it if someone could please forward me the study guides that you have on hand..... let me know if you have any... thanks! :)

You're not going to find a study guide for the OAR portion because there is no OAR portion. The OAR is the Officer Aptitude Rating and is part of your overall score.

Edit: I used the ARCO and Barron's study books. If you google "ASTB study" you find all sorts of PDF study guides that also helped me study. I studied everything I found for a month or so and ended up with a 8/8/8 67

exNavyOffRec

You're not going to find a study guide for the OAR portion because there is no OAR portion. The OAR is the Officer Aptitude Rating and is part of your overall score.

Edit: I used the ARCO and Barron's study books. If you google "ASTB study" you find all sorts of PDF study guides that also helped me study. I studied everything I found for a month or so and ended up with a 8/8/8 67

OAR is not part of the overall score, they are 2 different parts, you can in fact take the OAR, get that score, then within 30 days decide to take the other part and get the aviation scores.

cameron172

pilot
OAR is not part of the overall score, they are 2 different parts, you can in fact take the OAR, get that score, then within 30 days decide to take the other part and get the aviation scores.

I stand corrected. I've never seen any decent study guides for just the first three sections that make up the OAR though.

Kmiller361

I'm scheduled to take the astb for the second time at the end of August. If anyone is in the Corpus Christi area and interested in a study group, shoot me a message. I scored a 6/6/5/56 on my first attempt and really focusing on owning this next attempt.

Danin

A bit tired from the whole process, so any help, advice would be great and much appreciated.

Info:
I graduated a few months ago from a top tier school with a 3.35 GPA in Economics and International Relations.

Have volunteered in community since High School. Some of which include; teaching ESL to immigrant parents, building homes for people who are homeless, fundraising money for orphans in China and rape victims in Congo.

When it comes to leadership, I have managed a business since I was 14 which lead to great success. I have also opened up my own business in college where most of the proceeds went to charity to help rape victims in Congo. I have also countless internships in investment management and marketing (abroad and locally).

I have about 8 LORs. One from a colleague, manager from past internship, mentor of 5 years (president of a international company), friend from college, executive director from non profit organization, 1 professor, 1 former Director of NATO and one from a Navy 3 star Admiral.

I know my LORs are pretty solid, my leadership skills and volunteer experience are pretty strong but......the ASTB....

So here is the bummer. I am not good at taking tests. I took the first test, had a week to prep in between 2 volunteer jobs and scored a 39 (form 5). I retook it and got a 44 (form 3). During the second test, I did not manage my time wisely with the MATH which kicked my bum and then my computer froze which took up more time. Anyways, I am not a dummy considering I got into a good school and graduated with a good GPA. But I do recommend studying real hard. I'm happy for all who did so well on their ASTB but I definitely will stick with the 44 for now and hope they look at the full package and see my potential to serve. If not I will be retaking it again. But for those who did not do well on their ASTB, honestly, you are not the only one out there. Keep trying!!! But anyways, I'm not going for Pilot so definitely not an Air Warrior, I'm more looking for Intel, Information Warfare, Logistics.

What do you guys think of my chances of making it? But no worries, I will update. Best of luck to all. I'm just happy to get this mess of my chest.

Danin

I'm scheduled to take the astb for the second time at the end of August. If anyone is in the Corpus Christi area and interested in a study group, shoot me a message. I scored a 6/6/5/56 on my first attempt and really focusing on owning this next attempt.

Nice score. Just understand that if you do worse, which has happened, they will consider those scores instead. What are you going for? And why don't you just submit and retake if they reject you? But best of luck!!!!!

Danin

Feedback

Ok I just took the OAR test and got a 37 which is horrible. My OR told me that the score is just passing.
I felt very strong on the reading and Mechanical part of the test.
In the math part is where I struggle.

This is what I used for my study:
Arco 8th edition Officer Candidate Test ISBN-10:0-7689-2794-3.
Military Flight Aptitude Test 7th edition ISBN-10:0-7689-2793-5.
The marine gouge that its floating around.
The study guide word document that its floating around.

My toughs are the following after taking form 4:
Arco books combine covered a total of 6 questions (3 for math and 3 for mechanic)
The marine gouge covered 1 question (which is also covered on the arco)

The study guides and .pdf's floating around are a joke they are very easy compared to the real test, even compared to the arco books.

I think that the ASTB tests have been updated and made harder since they are more applicants than before. (can someone confirm this)

In order to help future OCS candidates we should all input what we can remember from the test. (preferably if you took the test from May 09 to today) This would help create an updated study guide.

After I completed my test I went to my car and wrote as much as I could remember. I will be posting withing the following days an updated study guide.

As far as I go, I'm retesting in 31 days.
Any help besides the gouge found in here would be appreciated .
I just order ARCO GRE/GMAT Math Review 6th to see if more of the problems I miss on test are shown on the book.

Any one else took form 4?
I was told that the score I got is good for marines is that true?
Also my OR suggested to submit with those low scores to see what happens, should I retest or submit?
Have a nice one guys.

The score is pretty low. But hey, I got a 44 which is not the best either. I'm submitting mine and if they reject me I will just resubmit. The best part, according to my recruiter is that if you resubmit it's not like you have to reapply and start the whole process again, it's just about making your package look even better. But I personally would recommend retaking it. I'm sure you will do so much better.

exNavyOffRec

A bit tired from the whole process, so any help, advice would be great and much appreciated.

Info:
I graduated a few months ago from a top tier school with a 3.35 GPA in Economics and International Relations.

I'm more looking for Intel, Information Warfare, Logistics.

What do you guys think of my chances of making it? But no worries, I will update. Best of luck to all. I'm just happy to get this mess of my chest.

In most cases unless you go to an easily spotted online school the school itself doesn't play into it unless you are close.

Chances at this point none, they have said there are no plans for any boards for Intel, Supply or IW for this FY, they have too many already selected and waiting for spots, they have already started auto rejecting applications for Intel and Supply.

Danin

In most cases unless you go to an easily spotted online school the school itself doesn't play into it unless you are close.

Chances at this point none, they have said there are no plans for any boards for Intel, Supply or IW for this FY, they have too many already selected and waiting for spots, they have already started auto rejecting applications for Intel and Supply.
Thanks! I will brace myself. :)

Danin

hey everyone, out there. i figured i'd pipe up since i'm always on here reading all this back-and-forth. i just want to throw a hand out to those who end up not doing so great. i'm sick of reading all this - "i studied for a week and got a 65. geez, do you think that score's ok?" give me a break! i studied my ass off and got a 44, and am really disappointed i have to take it again. some people just aren't good at taking tests - i have a 3.9 GPA from college, so i know i'm no idiot. so for those of you who bomb and don't want to admit it - it's ok! you are not alone!

that said, i also want to thank all of you who participate in these chats and offer help even though you are already done with this ASTB business. you are saints, i tell you! the day i feel sure i never have to take this test again, i want it out of my mind! until then, i appreciate all the info. floating around here.

i'm applying to USNR Intel, so i'm no "airwarrior" or aviation nut. if that makes me the odd (wo)man out, so be it. this is all very helpful, regardless!

Hey Clair,

So was your package accepted. I also got a 44 and going for the same thing.