• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB - Prep/Study Guide feedback

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
ok i am going to print out the Military Flight Aptitude test author soloman wiener 6th edition and practice every test in. i will purchase the ARCO GRE/ GMAT Math Book. thanks a lot. "my goal is to focus on the OAR Math, Mechanical, and Reading. Thank you! study time study time..

Good plan. Remember: The books are the second-most-useful source of information. The gouge files are ridiculously helpful. Start with those, and then use the books to practice the things you are shaky on from the gouge.

EDIT: That advice is coming from my own experience. I prepared for the ASTB for a few months using the two books, the FAA Handbook and all the gouge files, and I didn't really have a set study method. I just bounced all over the place. I think I may have done a bit better if I was a little more methodical. I'm happy enough with my score (6/7/7 55), but if my package gets rejected in December, I'll probably study up nice and proper and then take it again.

Gina Cooper

I found an online practice test that timed me and everything. Now, I cannot locate it. Anyone accidently find it? I think it's a Preston website.

BleedGreen

pilot
Welcome to Air Warriors!
This site is loaded with the tons of information to help you succeed on the ASTB but don't be afraid to use the search function before asking a question that might have already been answered. I am fairly new here myself, but you may find some of the other moderators will jump down your throat for asking a question that can be found using the search function.

I think this is the website you were looking for.
Good luck with your studying!

http://www.nelnetsolutions.com/dod/.../www.gouge.navygouge.com/index.php?title=ASTB

Hi, I'm new here, and it may be dickish of me to do this with my first post, but I think the answer for the following item is wrong:

• A businesswoman spends 1/5 of her income for rent, and 3/8 of the remainder goes towards salary. How much does she have remaining.
    • First take 1/5 away from 1, giving her 4/5. Multiply 4/5 * 3/8 = 12/40 = 3/10.
    • 3/10 is the final answer
The final answer is 5/10, if I understand the question correctly. You're saying that she spends 1/5, which is taking 1/5 away. So now you have 4/5. Then you seem to say that she spends another 3/8, so you should multiply that by 4/5 and THEN subtract the result from 4/5.

1 - 1/5 = 4/5
4/5 - [(3/8)*(4/5)] = 5/10 or 1/2

Another way to go about it is to say that, after subtracting 1/5, you have 8/10 left. If you want to then take away 3/8, it's pretty obvious what 3/8 of 8/10 is (3/10). So first you subtracted 2/10, and now you're subtracting 3/10, so you now have 5/10.

This is, of course, assuming that I read the question correctly. I could be mistaken.

Daniac262

Hi, I'm new here, and it may be dickish of me to do this with my first post, but I think the answer for the following item is wrong:

• A businesswoman spends 1/5 of her income for rent, and 3/8 of the remainder goes towards salary. How much does she have remaining.
    • First take 1/5 away from 1, giving her 4/5. Multiply 4/5 * 3/8 = 12/40 = 3/10.
    • 3/10 is the final answer
The final answer is 5/10, if I understand the question correctly. You're saying that she spends 1/5, which is taking 1/5 away. So now you have 4/5. Then you seem to say that she spends another 3/8, so you should multiply that by 4/5 and THEN subtract the result from 4/5.

1 - 1/5 = 4/5
4/5 - [(3/8)*(4/5)] = 5/10 or 1/2

Another way to go about it is to say that, after subtracting 1/5, you have 8/10 left. If you want to then take away 3/8, it's pretty obvious what 3/8 of 8/10 is (3/10). So first you subtracted 2/10, and now you're subtracting 3/10, so you now have 5/10.

This is, of course, assuming that I read the question correctly. I could be mistaken.
The answer is 3/10. Take 3/8 from the REMAINDER, which is 4/5. 3/8 of 4/5 is 3/10.

Daniac262

The answer is 3/10. Take 3/8 from the REMAINDER, which is 4/5. 3/8 of 4/5 is 3/10.
Nevermind, you're absolutely correct. Say she starts out with $1000, $200 goes to rent so she has $800 left then 3/8 gets taken away from the $800 which is $300. $800-$300 is $500 so the answer is 5/10.

dumbbel

Hey everyone! I am attempting to take the ASTB in May and the main study information I am missing is what most of you have titled "mmx1's gouge". Every link I have found that mentions that gouge is broken. Would it be possible for anyone to E-Mail me the gouge or post a working link here? Thank you!

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey everyone! I am attempting to take the ASTB in May and the main study information I am missing is what most of you have titled "mmx1's gouge". Every link I have found that mentions that gouge is broken. Would it be possible for anyone to E-Mail me the gouge or post a working link here? Thank you!
Welcome to the website. The answer you seek is in the ASTB area. Take your time and you shall find the answer (You may have to actually read an entire thread).

jfav313

PRO REC SWO
First off, I would like to thank everybody that contributes to this forum and posts study guides. I can't thank you enough. Those study guides really work. I scored a 46 on my first test without studying and studied all the guides on here and scored a 52. My recruiter thinks my kit will be competitive now that I got rid of that 46. Here's my stats.
GPA: 3.2
ASTB: 52
Degree: B.S. in Aeronautics
Prior-enlisted
GOING FOR SWO!

RockinTheBit07

First off, I would like to thank everybody that contributes to this forum and posts study guides. I can't thank you enough. Those study guides really work. I scored a 46 on my first test without studying and studied all the guides on here and scored a 52. My recruiter thinks my kit will be competitive now that I got rid of that 46. Here's my stats.
GPA: 3.2
ASTB: 52
Degree: B.S. in Aeronautics
Prior-enlisted
GOING FOR SWO!
Good Luck! I am going for SWO too, I didn't get accepted for the march board, but I am re-submitting to the June board and the NFO board. My recruiter is Surface Warfare. I feel like my chances at getting NFO are slim, so I hope to make SWO.

d.heye

Ok, first off I want to thank everyone on these forums for being more help to wannabe's like me than anyone or any book could ever be. I took the ASTB about a month ago and pulled off an 8/9/8 61, so I want to try to pass on the help I was given.

First of all, buy the study guides. I bought the ARCO Military Flight, ARCO Officer Candidate, and Barron's Military Flight test books. The information in these books is very valuable. They may not cover exactly what is on the exam, but you can't expect that. What they do is give you an idea of what kind of questions to expect. The practice tests are the best way for you to put yourself in the scenario of what the actual test will be like, and one of the only ways to see if you're working at too slow of a pace.

Second, use the Marine gouge website and all of the files that they have available. The information on this website is very very similar to what the test questions are. The questions may not be the same, but most of the concepts are. If something seems vague to you while studying, look it up online. Try to think 'how else could they ask this question?'. There is a lot of information to know, and 90% of it won't be on your test, so don't focus too much on one thing if it is bothering you.

Third, if you have any questions feel free to PM me and (without giving you exact test material) I will try to help. I have attached my personally compiled study guide. It consists of information gathered from all 3 study guides, this forum, and many miscellaneous things that I thought might help. Keep in mind that I am not going to tell you what stuff is 'more important' than other things. I used this to keep myself organized, so it might be useful for some of you to add or remove things as you please. Also, I'm human so some of the information in this document may not even be correct. I tried to make sure it was, but I may have made a few mistakes without noticing them.

If you use this to study, let me know after you take the test if it was helpful at all. Good luck to everyone that is yet to take it, try not to stress too much.

Patrick
I can't get your study guide to open up. :/