• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB and ARCO study book

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdt1702

Passed my first time! I owe bpikula big time for the study guide. Many of the questions from the aviation section were straight off the study guide. I scored an 8 on that section. My recruiter was very surprised and said it is practically unheard of to score that high without any flight experience. I don't know about that, but he said I have a really good chance of getting selected for NFO and OCS.

Mcaf

bpikula,
Could you send me the ASTB gouge at mcaf29@hotmail.com. I'm in San Diego for Cortramid and I start Aviation week on Monday. I'll being going up in a t-34 or an S-3 so I'm pretty excited. Good Luck everyone. Thanks in advance.

Smokescreen

Just thought I'd express my joy here!!! I took the ASTB for the Navy today and passed!!! Guess third time really is the charm. The converted scores where AQR=5
PFAR=7 NFOFAR=5 BIPilot=6 BINFO=4 OAR=48!!!! That Marine study guide is the bomb so if you haven't already GET IT!!!!

spidrwmn

Congrats on the scores!! Any helpful advice for those of us who are taking the test soon? (I have the Marine guide and the ARCO book). Thanks!

- spider

Smokescreen

Some helpful advice hmmm. Ok this is what I had to do, I had taken the test twice already and was determined to pass it this time. I had two books from ARCO. Officer Candidate Tests and the Military Flight Apptitude. What I did is used those to help with the Mechanical Comprehension, Reading Comprehension, and Spatial Appreciation. Then I used the Marine Study Guide and drilled the Aviation/Nautical Info in my head. Remember it!!! I guarantee you most of the questions from the study guide will show up on the exam in some shape or another. The math portion from the study guide is right on. Know how to do that and you'll be fine come test time.

Other then those three sources, the fourth and most important for me was time. Since I hadn't used those basic math skills in awhile I spent ALOT of time reviewing. I basically studied for this as if it was a final. Not saying that this is the only way, but it's what worked for me. I probably went alittle over board by studying until I felt like my head was swimming with all this info, but it worked. Anywayz hope this helps and good luck!

Sara b

Smokescreen,

How much time would you say you spend studying?? What numbers from the math would you highlight for review? I'm going to take it soon and it would be really helpful to know.

Thanks so much for your time.

-Sara

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Hi all,

Here is what I found extremely helpful on the ASTB. I used the ARCO Military Pilot study guide. The math, verbal and mech comp was pretty straght forward. I highly recommend looking over the spatial apperception section. Know this cold. If this is the only oart you study then do so. The nautical and aviation info section is also informative. But here is the important part BIO Inventory: Here is the scoop. These are the charecteristics that this section is looking for. A low to mid 20 year old that isnt married or have anything tying you down. Be a good athlete in TEAM sports in highschool and college. Grade point in the top 1/3 or so. Read alot of books and magazines. Some type of science or eng degree in college with some eng courses taken. Community service is ok but I didnt put it down. Not afraid to do things on your own ie go car shopping but when you go out on the town you dont do this alone. You are confident but not overly aggresive ie havent raced a car. If you are in college you live with a roomate, not your family. I took the test twice because of the bio. I missed pilot the first time by 1 question and scored a 3. The next time I took it using the above frame of mind I missed scoring an 8 by 2 questions. From what I understand the Nav wants confident people that are smart and use their heads and arent reckless with a $20 mill aircraft.

Hope that helps. I have helped several guys in town pass the test and get into the BDCP pilot program. If I can help let me know.

Best regards,

Dave P

rmarrs

I am going to take the ASTB in two weeks, and I would be very greatful if someone could send me the Marine study guide.
thanks Rob, rmarrs@calpoly.edu

beau

rmarrs,

I dont have it! I could not get it on email for some reason. I have a book with all the service aviation tests in it(study guide). Any body that wants to try and email it to me again is more than welcome too!

Finch

GO SOONERS!!!

spidrwmn

I don't have the e-mail that I got the USMC guide from anymore, but i do have a hard copy. In case no one sends it to you, if you have access to a fax machine I would be more than happy to fax it to you later this weekend. Let me know if you need it.

As far as the test goes, the USMC guide is pretty acurate. I just took the test for the first time and got test # 2 ( there are 2 forms). The test #2 math section is mostly geometery, so be prepared in case you get that test. Also, do go through the entire ARCO book because there were some questions that were similar to the ones from the book. For example, there were a few questions on the mechanical section of the test that came almost straight out of the Sample Army Alternate Flight Aptitude Selection ( mechanical section # 110, 113,121).

Also, the pictures for the spatial apperception section are VERY different from the ones in the ARCO book. Definetly study the ARCO book pics, but make sure to utilize the time they give you before that section starts to go over the pictures in the sample questions!

Hope this helps!
- spider

Edited by - spidrwmn on 09/15/2001 13:13:06

vballpilot

I have the study guide and I would be more than happy to email it to anyone but I am stuck away from home for another day. As soon as I can get my flight back home I will email it to all who have requested it---good luck on the test or retest (whichever it may be) everybody.

Edited by - vballpilot on 09/17/2001 00:14:03

Status
Not open for further replies.