• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB and ARCO study book

Status
Not open for further replies.

vballpilot

Dave, sorry to hear about your situation. I hope everything works out for you in the end.

I am new to the site and have found the information here very helpful; I am considering joining the Navy out of college but I am confused about the exact process of getting tested. Does one have to commit to joining the Navy before you take the flight and officer aptitude tests or can you take them without "signing" anything.
I also thought that you could retake the test every thirty days, but in Dave's situation they are not letting him retest--so if you fail any section other than the bio you can retest?
I also have a question on the flight physical; I have 20/100 in one eye and I have been screened by a doctor for PRK, If i was to past the ATSB do I have to get a waiver before I get my flight physical by my recruiter or just when I report to API? Any help to these questions would be greatly appreciated. Good luck to all of you on your way to becoming Naval Aviators.

bpikula

In my situation I was tested before the recruiter would really sit down and talk to me about my options. They don't make you sign anything until you send in your application and have been selected for a community. In my case, I was presented orders to report to OCS with a designation of pilot. That designation can change if you flunk a physical or something, but it was my understanding that you are not "committed" to anything except what you signed up for.

As far as the retest, I think Dave is in an unusual situation. My recruiter informed me that if necessary you can retest once after 30 days (be sure 30 days expire, one guy here in Jax tested after 29 and got denied) and again after 180 days. There may be some limit to the number of times you can test, but after the intial retest 180 days must elapse before another attempt can be made.

PRK, hmm, I don't know much about it. Luckily my eyes are okay. From what I've read you need the Navy to okay the surgery and I'm assuming this must be done before you apply. I really don't know the specifics so maybe someone else could help you with that. Hope this info helps.

Dave Shutter

Vball...welcome to the forum, if your thinking about going into the Navy as a pilot and aren't sure about how to do it then you're in the right place. We have pilots and Officers from all over the place here; pilots from F-15's, Marine, Hornet's, P-3's, Officers from SWO and other communities and about a dozen guys on their way to, or fresh out of OCS as well as priors from every branch. Virtually any question you have will probably get a decent answer here. I'm still trying to get in myself and can't really tell you anything besides the application process.

As for the test, the ASTB is the very first step and your recruiters won't really talk to you too much until you pass it. You can retest the first time after 30 days and then six months every time after. I took the test way over 6 months ago and I can definitely re-test. My recruiters don't want me to and I spoke with some other recruiters from guys here and yes: they are still hurting for pilots, and yes: you can always re-test. Many said they had guys in my exact situation who re-tested and then got in. I'm positive there's something their not telling me. Enough about me...No, you won't be obligated to anything until you swear in (and I hear your not really obligated to serve until your actually commisioned, after OCS). Next you'll have your physical, and the PRT. The rest of putting the application together is really on you. You provide all the information that goes into the paperwork, transcripts, references, etc. If you've had friends who have gone in enlisted, bear in mind that applying for a Commission is a totally different process. I've done both.

As for PRK you might want to ask our resident experts: Jeff Bennion, who's hanging around, or Vicki at: victoriawildman@hotmail.com she's in OCS right now so give here time for a reply.

To my knowledge all waivers come from BUPERS, I was given waivers for my knee and my age when I applied but I'm not sure about PRK. I think you have to apply for it, get the procedure yourself, wait, and then have the Navy examine you.

Good luck

D

vballpilot

Guys thanks for the great info I really appreciate it. bpikula thanks for that study guide for the ATSB, great source of info.

pdt1702

Will somebody please send me the ASTB study guide? I will be taking the test for the first time next week and I would greatly appreciate it.

vballpilot

pdt I emailed you the study guide let me know if you got it. SOmetimes attachments don't go through on my server and good luck on the test.

pdt1702

Yes, I received the document. You guys weren't kidding, this is an incredibly valuable source of information. This belongs in the gouge section of the website for sure. Thanks a lot and I'll let you know how I do on the test, I take it June 13.

PeacoatMan

PASSED, BABY!

I took the ASTB for the second time last week. My scores qualified for SNA standards. I am gung ho! I am fortunate to just be a junior in college -- plenty of time to apply and jump through the hoops.

With regards to the ARCO book, it really was only good to refresh some math skills; however, I would recommend looking at the spatial apperception pages -- they are similar to the way the Navy does it.

FLY NAVY!
Joey

JasonG

Can someone send me the Marine Guide for the ASTB??? I will be taking the test shortly for the BDCP program? ANyone know what the outlook is like for the future (2-4 years) on needs for pilots??? Thanks........vze26wdy@verizon.net

gunnerdd972

Just to let everyone know,
I passed the ASTB today, AQR 5, PFAR 7, PBI 4. Thank you all for the helpful insight.

GM2(SW) Hosehead

spidrwmn

I have been checking out the site and I noticed a lot of talk about a Marine Corps ASTB study guide. I am getting ready to take the test in a month or two and could use all the help I can get. Where can I find the study guide? Or could someone send me one?
Thanks!
silverblatt@hotmail.com

vballpilot

SPider i tried to send you te study guide but it kept saying that your email wont support a file attachment that big; is there another address you have to send it to?

Status
Not open for further replies.