• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB and ARCO study book

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Shutter

NEWSFLASH: Ignore all ASTB advice from me, (and there's a lot of it) null and void, as I have just learned that my BIO scores are off by 1 point resulting in my formal rejection for SNA.

To say that I am dissapointed is a gross understatement, as I was assured time and time again by you know who that my test scores were "good to go", and were the least of my worries. I have a new recruiiter to contend with now and that should also be interesting. I know of several people on this forum who have had that problem and re-tested, but my station, being by the book, has already said I can't as changing BIO scores would be a form of lying.

I'll let y'all know

Burried alive in bullsh*t in NJ!

D

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
quote:To say that I am dissapointed is a gross understatement...

Dave, I am really sorry to hear that, I know (heck all of us do) how hard you have been trying to get this package together. As for the ASTB, I think that is kind of inane, since all the other testing units (my ROTC one of them) that let the students retake the test.

Personally, I answered yes to going over 100, and wasn't there a question about a seat belt? Whatever, but basically as you all know, they are looking for a Type A aggressive personality, but still respects law, safety and authority. Ok, I'll speed, but wear a seat belt! Who knows, just my take on it, guess I should ask the wife, she is the psychologist in the family!

I am looking forward to running into you one day in the Fleet, especially after you come to your senses and go P3s
I hope you don't give up on trying to get a retake, I know how frustrating this can be. All the best.

Dave Shutter

Thanx John

If I have to re-test then I'll f*cking re-test, but to be honest with you I think that them saying "low BIO scores" is a safe way for them to say: "Thanks for your interest in the Navy, now take a hike." Now I know I don't look like ICEMAN on paper, I'm not even close, but for God's sake, I'm a prior service combat MOS soldier, whose qualified expert on every weapon he's ever touched with flight time and a solo, what other type of personality are you looking for?! Someone who built a landing strip in his backyard and is already FCLP qualified???

I talk with my new recruiter tommorrow about what the next move is, or try to as I've done all week, which probably isn't a good sign. I also heard from another Officer on this forum in an e-mail, that a memo on Officer assesions is circulating from CNO about all other jobs being closed out save SNA/SNFO, so it's not even like they can try to sell me something else. Now if I was told that one item on my app. was a red flag: knee, age, major, ASTB scores, PRT, anything, I could accept that. Even if some dickhead reviewer sent me a handwritten note that he personaly didn't want ex-Army pukes in his community, HELL, I'd even buy that! At least that's honesty, If I'm NPQ'd than that's life, but to tell me my BIO is off by 1 point is just a joke, and a bad one at that!

quote:I am looking forward to running into you one day in the Fleet, especially after you come to your senses and go P3s

Sh*t, I'm still in my greasy cook's outfit as I type, right now my friend I'd be happy with that ACES T-34 ride.

Thanx again and I'll let you know

D

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 04/19/2001 00:21:58

Tripp

You think you hate it now...
Dave, my jaw hit the floor as I read your latest episode in your saga to become a Naval Aviator. Man, I thought you were just kidding around at first. I mean, you've gone through so much to get where you are and now this?!?!?!?!

Best of luck in rectifying this (I, for one, know firsthand the idiocy of the Federal bureaucracy).

Stay the course ,
Matt

Walker

I know this is off the topic of ATSB, but Dave I might have a suggestion for you. You might want to check out marine aviation. The marine officer I talked to said that they are allowed to give a one point waiver on any area of the ATSB. So if you were one point low on the PFAR, or in your case the bio, the might go ahead and just give it to you. Of course I don't know what the min. bio score is for Marine aviators, it could be two points higher than the Navy, but it might be worth checking out. Hope this helps some.

Dave Shutter

Thanx guys! I really mean that!

I'm past the point of semi-rage over the idiotic reason I was given and am now back to my old stoic self. I can't control what a handful of individuals in a boardroom in Tenn. do so I won't sweat it past this. Pointless. If nothing else happens further in my app. process or of they offer me some pathetic job as a Garbage Scowl Officer, then I'll calmly ask what it will take to transfer my app. info to the USMC or even the AF and see how they like that. I'm not whining about not getting picked up, okay, maybe to an extent, but I was told straight up that my scores were good for SNA, if not then I would have happily done something to fix them or any other part of my app. But because someone in my recruiting process didn't have a f*cking clue as to what they were doing, or just didn't care, now the best case scenario for me is some type of re-test at which point I'll re-submit and look like more of a jackass to whatever people shot me down in the first place!

Oh well, some people you just can't please

Knocking back cold ones in NJ!

D

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 04/19/2001 03:15:11

Falcaner

DCA "Don't give up the ship"
Dave I know EXACTLY what you are going through!back when i was still in college I was actually going the air force but right when my app was supose to go in i got a call from my recuiter that said my test scorces were fifteen points off, and i would have to take a re-test. Unfortunatly it was about a month and a half to graduation and thing were nuts so i told him to put it on hold, and i would take the test after i graduate(seemed to make sencse at the time). but that summer when i try to get in touch he would not return phone calls and then sent me an e-mail that basicly said take a hike! After that a friend of mine who was in the navy told me go see them and hear i am. But even after i went through everything with the navy i almost got disqullifed because my recuiter though my eyes were not with regs, but it turned out that my eyes are within regs, and the person who gave me the test swreed up about my left eye was some how off by 20 points! (they siad it was 20/40 when it was 20/20) DSo the moral of my sotory is this keep at it and if you really want to fly you can, i have been where you are it i know what it feels like. But keep your head up and keep pushing you you will find a way!

bpikula

quote:
I know this is off the topic of ATSB, but Dave I might have a suggestion for you. You might want to check out marine aviation. The marine officer I talked to said that they are allowed to give a one point waiver on any area of the ATSB. So if you were one point low on the PFAR, or in your case the bio, the might go ahead and just give it to you. Of course I don't know what the min. bio score is for Marine aviators, it could be two points higher than the Navy, but it might be worth checking out. Hope this helps some.

Not trying to be a prick or anything, but I actually talked to the USMC before deciding to test with the Navy. Unfortunately, their requirements are a little higher. The Navy requires 3,4,4 to qualify for pilot and 3,4,3 for NFO. The Marines require at least a 6,4,6 (the one point waiver I'm not sure about), but either way it's a higher score. Not to mention you have to do 20 dead hang pull-ups, 100 crunches, and run 3 miles in 18 minutes for a PRT! Dave, I know you hate me now, but I didn't want you to spin your wheels anymore than you have too.

Sincerely,
The A-Hole (Brad)

bpikula

Hey Dave, I forgot to mention that while the Marine's requirements are higher they do give you a study guide that is basically a watered down version of the ASTB (probably the reason why). I used it to prepare and I was amazed at the similarities. Some of the questions were EXACTLY the same! It won't help improve your Bio scores, but it will make your Math/Verbal and Mech Comp scores more competitive. I've got it saved as a word document and if you decide to test again I'll e mail it to you. Let me know and good luck!

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Why don't you send me copy, I will put it up on the gouge downloads for others to be able to use.

bpikula

Consider it done. If you don't get it or it doesn't open for some reason, e mail me and we'll try something else.

Walker

Bipkula,
Yeah I figured the Marines had higher score min.'s but I wasn't sure. As for the one point thing I could be mistaken but the marine rec. I talked to told me that he could "give me" one point. But who knows now. After I read on here all the problems everyone had dealing with the rec. I take everything they say with a grain of salt.

Dave Shutter

Yeah Brad, send me a copy too @ dlshutter@snip.net if you don't mind. I'll need all the help I can get since it looks like I'm taking that $%@*&^ test yet again!

D

Status
Not open for further replies.