• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASIANA Boeing 777 crash landing KSFO

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
The video of the actual wreck is playing on CNN and should be an advertisement for Boeing airframe survivability...great job by the engineers designing that thing...
Pickle

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So they had a stick shaker and no one did any thing until 3.5 seconds later when go around was called for? Yikes!

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
So they had a stick shaker and no one did any thing until 3.5 seconds later when go around was called for? Yikes!

See below for possible explanation.

Did extensive research during graduate program Re CRM as it applied to Asian carriers. I know we don't speculate around here - and I'm NOT suggesting it was a factor, simply offering a few things I learned:

- juniors are very reluctant to question seniors.
- questioning and forceful backup are very foreign concepts to many Asian cultures.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Apparently it was a 'trainee' pilot though certainly not an inexperienced one (what would you call him, an 'upgrader'?).
I didn't see where it said the mishap pilot was a trainee, on IOE, upgrade, etc. What am I missing? I did see the discussion about the new displaced threshold. But that means the landing area is moved down the runway to begin with. That shouldn't induce in any way landing well short of the original threshold.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Still better than Air France when the guy held full back stick for several minutes from 30k until the deck.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Still better than Air France when the guy held full back stick for several minutes from 30k until the deck.
Maybe. But in fairness, the AF mishap occurred at night over the ocean, in poor weather with malfunctioning instruments and other erroneous indications. I would expect better in excellent weather on a visual landing with, probably, a perfect airplane.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I didn't see where it said the mishap pilot was a trainee, on IOE, upgrade, etc. What am I missing? I did see the discussion about the new displaced threshold. But that means the landing area is moved down the runway to begin with. That shouldn't induce in any way landing well short of the original threshold.

Damn Yahoo changed the story, here is a Reuters report saying the guy had almost 10,000 hours but less than 50 in the 777.