• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASIANA Boeing 777 crash landing KSFO

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
J
IOE? No better time to get your first landings then day vfr.
Maybe? Dunno? But right after I posted that, a bud said he thinks it was the FO flying (less than 50 hours[in type]). Which changes things so who knows??

Fallonflyr

pilot
The glide slope is out at SFO due to construction. They are moving the antenna to make for a 300 foot displaced threshold as part of a new FAA mandate. I had heard the papis were out intermittently. Weather very good though. Asiana had expat Captains until end of 2011. Pressure from KAL pilots union forced Korean transport ministry to deny visas for foreign pilots. Word was all the ex pats were let go all at once and sent home on the next flight. Has to make you wonder how deep the bench is in the left seat when they were flying ex pat captains until less 19 months ago.

How deep is the bench? the answer is spread all over 28L.

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
My inbound emails today included the following ...

Here is an email from a United crew holding short of the runway as the Asiana B-777 approached:

On July 6, 2013 at approximately 1827Z I was the 747-400 relief F/O on flt 885, ID326/06 SFO-KIX. I was a witness to the Asiana Flt 214 accident. We had taxied to hold short of runway 28L at SFO on taxiway F, and were waiting to rectify a HAZMAT cargo issue as well as our final weights before we could run our before takeoff checklist and depart. As we waited on taxiway F heading East, just prior to the perpendicular holding area, all three pilots took notice of the Asiana 777 on short final. I noticed the aircraft looked low on glidepath and had a very high deck angle compared to what seemed “normal”. I then noticed at the apparent descent rate and closure to the runway environment the aircraft looked as though it was going to impact the approach lights mounted on piers in the SF Bay. The aircraft made a fairly drastic looking pull up in the last few feet and it appeared and sounded as if they had applied maximum thrust. However the descent path they were on continued and the thrust applied didn't appear to come soon enough to prevent impact. The tail cone and empennage of the 777 impacted the bulkhead seawall and departed the airplane and the main landing gear sheared off instantly. This created a long debris field along the arrival end of 28L, mostly along the right side of 28L. We saw the fuselage, largely intact, slide down the runway and out of view of our cockpit. We heard much confusion and quick instructions from SFO Tower and a few moments later heard an aircraft go around over the runway 28 complex. We realized within a few moments that we were apparently unharmed so I got on the PA and instructed everyone to remain seated and that we were safe.

We all acknowledged if we had been located between Runways 28R and 28L on taxiway F we would have likely suffered damage to the right side aft section of our aircraft from the 777.

Approximately two minutes later I was looking out the left side cockpit windows and noticed movement on the right side of Runway 28L. Two survivors were stumbling but moving abeam the Runway “28L” marking on the North side of the runway. I saw one survivor stand up, walk a few feet, then appear to squat down. The other appeared to be a woman and was walking, then fell off to her side and remained on the ground until rescue personnel arrived. The Captain was on the radio and I told him to tell tower what I had seen, but I ended up taking the microphone instead of relaying through him. I told SFO tower that there appeared to be survivors on the right side of the runway and they needed to send assistance immediately. It seemed to take a very long time for vehicles and assistance to arrive for these victims. The survivors I saw were approximately 1000-1500' away from the fuselage and had apparently been ejected from the fuselage.

We made numerous PAs to the passengers telling them any information we had, which we acknowledged was going to change rapidly, and I left the cockpit to check on the flight attendants and the overall mood of the passengers, as I was the third pilot and not in a control seat. A couple of our flight attendants were shaken up but ALL were doing an outstanding and extremely professional job of handling the passenger's needs and providing calm comfort to them. One of the flight attendants contacted unaccompanied minors' parents to ensure them their children were safe and would be taken care of by our crew. Their demeanor and professionalism during this horrific event was noteworthy. I went to each cabin and spoke to the passengers asking if everyone was OK and if they neededany assistance, and gave them information personally, to include telling them what I saw fro m the cockpit. I also provided encouragement that we would be OK, we'd tell them everything we learn and to please relax and be patient and expect this is going to be a long wait. The passenger mood was concerned but generally calm. A few individuals were emotional as nearly every passenger on the left side of the aircraft saw the fuselage and debris field going over 100 knots past our aircraft only 300' away. By this point everyone had looked out the windows and could see the smoke plume from the 777. A number of passengers also noticed what I had seen with the survivors out near the end of 28L expressing concern that the rescue effort appeared slow for those individuals that had been separated from the airplane wreckage.

We ultimately had a tug come out and tow us back to the gate, doing a 3 point turn in the hold short area of 28L. We were towed to gate 101 where the passengers deplaned. Captain Jim Abel met us at the aircraft and gave us information he had and asked if we needed any assistance or hotel rooms for the evening. Captain Herlihy and F/O Ishikawa went to hotels and I went to my home an hour away in the East Bay.— atWashington Hilton.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
No issues with rondebmar's post or speculating on the civilian commercial crash.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
My inbound emails today included the following ...

Here is an email from a United crew holding short of the runway as the Asiana B-777 approached:
A rare eyewitness account that's reliable. All of the mostly speculation by totally aviation clueless, cable news hot blond bimbos, was sickening!:rolleyes:
BzB

Renegade One

None
Damn Yahoo changed the story, here is a Reuters report saying the guy had almost 10,000 hours but less than 50 in the 777.
I'm probably mixing a lot of stuff up here…but 10K hours surely trumps any US military aviator's logbook when transitioning to the Majors, and haven't we always been told that the first time ANYONE flies "in the show"…it's with fare-paying butts in the seats (all TMS time to date being in a sim)?

I'm probably missing something here…which probably has to do with "experience mix" on the flight deck...
"Yeah, for Mr. FO…this may be his first time. But for Mr. Captain...well…this isn't his first rodeo".

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
A rare eyewitness account that's reliable. All of the mostly speculation by totally aviation clueless, cable news hot blond bimbos, was sickening!:rolleyes:
BzB

We've been flying visual approaches since 1903, yet the media would have you believe that attempting to land without an ILS is downright dangerous and reckless to everyone aboard. Makes me a bit... angry. How has a basic skill that everyone beings to learn on their first flight with become dangerous and reckless?

jmcquate

Contributor
Caught the last half of an NTSB brief when I got home from work. The briefer said that the AT was set at 130 knots prior to the attempted abort.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
No such thing as a FLCH trap if you click off the AT's and engage your right arm with your brain.

Agreed. I'm sure you remember the insidious nature of an ATC failure in the Hornet. Pretty sure the following discussion at the end of the long green table would not go well:

"so you departed the jet at max E in marshall?"
"well sir, the autothrottles disengaged and I didn't get the caution"
"did you fly your airplane and sometimes look at your HUD?"
"no, that is what baro ATC hold is for"
"okay, very well"