• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Army wings: photoshop skills needed

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's a Naval Aviation site, and if y'all want to only display Navy wings, I certainly agree that would be appropriate.
If you decide to display USAF and Army wings, then so be it. For the USAF pilot wings ("radiator wings" if you will), we've got slick wings, Senior Pilot wings with a star on top (signifying 7 years with wings), and Command Pilot wings with a star/wreath (signifying 15 years with wings).
I'll ask my Navigator buds if the 7 and 15 years also apply to their wings.

Those stars mean years in? I always thought they had something to do with quals or hours. Interesting.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....For the USAF pilot wings ... we've got slick wings, Senior Pilot wings with a star on top (signifying 7 years with wings), and Command Pilot wings with a star/wreath (signifying 15 years with wings)......

Harumph. Sounds like the airlines to me. :D

Actually ... that WAS like the airlines. :eek:

plc67

pilot
The Army also has Senior(star) and Master(wreathed star) wings. As I recall they used to be based on years rated and additional quals. Later it became just years rated as an Army aviator.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Perhaps the best method is to just have the basic Army/AF wings w/out all the flair. If someone has earned the wings, regardless of time/quals, the basic wings still apply. Many Naval Aviators here have multiple quals in addition to their basic wings, but we manage to live w/ the minimum amount of flair.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
huggy, yeah, camnowell mentioned that there were differing army wings also. To ease my admin burden, I am only going to go with the basic army pilot wings, and if you all have a good gif that can be edited, the same for the wings of lead (I keed).

aircav06

None
Here ya go. Real Army Aviator wings. Background on these should work.

Attachments

• ArmyMasterAviatorWings.gif
    ArmyMasterAviatorWings.gif
    9 KB · Views: 46

russ651

None
For the army, 1000 hours/7 years of rated service equals senior aviator. 2000 hours/15 years of rated service equals master aviator. The way we are flying now, it's easy to get the hours, but the total rated service isn't waiverable. You must have both. If you see an army aviator with a star and a wreath on his wings, he's not just been a pilot for 15 years, he's also done his time in the cockpit and lately, it's probably been in Afghanistan or Iraq.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And.....we're all in trouble now...
WingAdSmall.gif

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Keep it basic for ALL WINGS. No Senior or Master WHATEVER. Just AF Pilot or NAV. Same for Army Pilot....and NAC (If you do it). Sorry AirCav. Just my thoughts, but John has enough to do....tracking all this stuff.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Keep it basic for ALL WINGS. No Senior or Master WHATEVER. Just AF Pilot or NAV. Same for Army Pilot....and NAC (If you do it). Sorry AirCav. Just my thoughts, but John has enough to do....tracking all this stuff.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Concur....but it would seem that if people out here have the skillz to make it standardized then it shouldn't be a burden to Webmaster. If the individuals want to do the legwork necessary to "plug and play" with whatever devices they want, then it shouldn't be a problem.

I have no idea how hard these things are to do, but those army wings got done pretty quickly by independant users. The rest shouldn't be any harder.

My point is that if you want your specialized pin, say dolphins for example, and you are willing to make it zero impact to John (if that's possible), then knock yourself out as far as most people here probably care.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
I'll admit I ain't been around all that long, but if the day ever comes where this becomes a legit tag, I'm outta here:

71637-USAFspacewingAW_10_18_2004_1527.jpg

"but we wear flightsuits.....snarf" - USAF Space-douche

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I'll admit I ain't been around all that long, but if the day ever comes where this becomes a legit tag, I'm outta here:

71637-USAFspacewingAW_10_18_2004_1527.jpg

"but we wear flightsuits.....snarf" - USAF Space-douche

That would be the exception. Those "wings" should not be allowed under any circumstances. :D

All other warfare devices are good to go as far as I care, as long as it doesn't burden the guy with 51% of the vote.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
My point is that if you want your specialized pin, say dolphins for example, and you are willing to make it zero impact to John (if that's possible), then knock yourself out as far as most people here probably care.

The problem comes in when someone has to manage all the virtual pinnings. Yes, there are several mods that can do it, but there's a bunch of geekery that needs to be done for each set, plus, who QA's the Army and AF guys? Do they really have 9000 hours and 36 years of service? So why not just keep it basic...Army, Naval, AF. If John does the other pins, great.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but I see, on average, about 3+ wing requests a week and I know I don't catch them all. That's in addition to the NFO wings and the wings for those that can't find the request button or my FAQ thread and ask for them manually. On top of that, there's quite a bit of QA that goes on behind the scenes for the random SkeeterSnort.

HuggyU2

None
For what little it's worth, I agree you should keep it at the "Basic Wings" level (if you're going to do it at all). I just wanted to lead turn the discussion of what the star and wreath meant, knowing it would come up soon.