• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Army girl meets Navy boy......

jeffsgirl

So here it is...I recently have fallen for a Navy boy who is on his way to OCS in Rhode Island on Feb 16th. I spent the last 8 years as an Army Reservist (yes I know, weekend warriors hooah) so I understand what it entails to make a relationship work living in the military scene. My questions are: How long is he going to be gone for if he is first going to OCS and then on his way to flight school? Does he have an option on where his final duty station is? Do we have to be married for me to be with him at his duty stations? Any other advice anyone has on my possible dilemma I would be most grateful!

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My questions are: How long is he going to be gone for if he is first going to OCS and then on his way to flight school?

In a perfect world, he'd know when his class graduates. However, read the stories in the OCS relatede thread and you'll see his mileage may vary due to injury or being set back for any one of several reasons. Answer: it depends

Does he have an option on where his final duty station is?

Based on his perfromance and needs of Navy, he'll eventually be selected for a pipeline such as Helos, Jets/tailhook or Maritime multi-engine. That will narrow options for eventual assignment, but until he completes flight training and is awarded his wings, he likely won't know the specific aircraft and the duty station where he'll then undergo Fleet Readiness Squadron (FRS) transition training before assignment to the first fleet squadron (may involve yet another move or not).

Do we have to be married for me to be with him at his duty stations?

You can live with him (off base), but you won't be a dependent (look for threads on this aspect and ask to join Spouses Forum for further detailed counsel by the fairer sex). If he's required to live in Bachelor's Quarters, cohabitation isn't advised.

Heloanjin

pilot
You should keep in mind, as well, that his training track (OCS, Flight School, FRS) is 2-4+ years and will involve 3-5 moves, depending on too many factors to predict.

MasterBates

Are you still in and what is your status (Enlisted, Warrant, Commissioned) ?

That could be a show stopper. Or at least a grey area.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Not a show stopper at all (or really even a grey area) since it is pre-existing his commission and she isn't in the same command. It happens quite often.

jeffsgirl

I am no longer in the army, just using that as a reference point in conjunction with understanding the unwritten laws of the military lifestyle.

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
You've just fallen.... does he know yer on line using the M word???:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Had a chicky I was dating for a few months prior to cruise telling the knives club that we were eloping and making our first baby in france just after the wedding on the beach in Cannes..... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I smelled psycho "bunny in the pot of boiling water" prior to hearing the story from a wife over a beer at the O-club after getting back.

I started to convulse when I read the thread initiation, thank god... hope it works out well, don't be that girl.:icon_wink

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
bunnyboiler-thumb-420x315.jpg

Wings before rings. That's all I'll say.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Wings before rings. That's all I'll say.

During my 2 yrs as an instructor, I will say that there are ALOT more married/engaged folks coming through. I'd also say that I agree with waiting to get married until after flight school...

Main reason is that my wife would have shot me on the wedding night had I told her I had to be back at work on Tuesday. HT-8s policy was ONE day off for weddings. READ-NO HONEYMOON.

So, set your expectations low if you get hitched during flight school...because the Navy's expectations at that point are a lot higher.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Better make sure he's thinking the same thing as well. Marraige may be the furthest thing from his mind there Glenn Close.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
If you needed a wife, she would have been issued to you in your sea-bag.......coming from the married guy.