• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

April 2014 SNA and NFO Board

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
Btw my comments are in regard to the fact they pass the tests at meps for aviation I cannot imagine that vision would change that much to at least fall within 20/100 or 20/200 for nfo, not sure what the standard is. But as for the other Latin words I'm not sure, maybe all that stuff can change.

Mr Spenz

"Your brief saved your flight' - every IP
pilot
You are an O-1 (Ensign) the moment you are commissioned at graduation.
Unless you are waiting on NAMI to clear you. Typically that doesn't happen until right before graduation. I had a buddy that had to stay in Newport for over a month waiting for NAMI. So if you graduate but are physically cleared yet you don't commission.

Mr Spenz

pilot
How do they not clear at least NFO? I figure maybe it's something other than vision?
Vision is really the only difference between SNA and NFO. Usually other medical problems can get you DQ from a flying status period "no aviation".

Mr Spenz

pilot
Btw my comments are in regard to the fact they pass the tests at meps for aviation I cannot imagine that vision would change that much to at least fall within 20/100 or 20/200 for nfo, not sure what the standard is. But as for the other Latin words I'm not sure, maybe all that stuff can change.
The eye test at MEPS is nothing to the likes of a NAMI flight physical. MEPS is very basic. I believe when I had my eye exam it took a good 2 hours for them to do everything.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
Starting out in this process I went to an optometrist to make sure I fell within the standards and have an apt for next month to check all the boxes per NAMI waiver guide again so I think the eyes will be the least of the worries to make at least NFO per any vision limitations.

brogdawg32

Starting out in this process I went to an optometrist to make sure I fell within the standards and have an apt for next month to check all the boxes per NAMI waiver guide again so I think the eyes will be the least of the worries to make at least NFO per any vision limitations.
Is that just for your own peace of mind or in preparation to asking NAMI for a waiver if you failed something?

Wha
Aahh the infamous NAMI Whammy, bite a few of my classmates. I think about 15 of them. Currently when you are NPQed for flight by NAMI then they automatically build you a package for SWO, if magically the SWO community refuses you than you can look at other designators. Some of my classmates were told "SWO or go." Actually all the guys that were NPQed ended going SWO except for one. He got AMDO because he was a prior and new some O-5s that called in some favors.

Regarding OHARP, all the SNAs in my class were given 6 weeks of OHARP automatically since there is a huge SNA backlog right now. The SNFO on the other hand were given 2 weeks before they had to report to Pensacola with no OHARP.

What exactly made them fail the test?

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
Is that just for your own peace of mind or in preparation to asking NAMI for a waiver if you failed something?
own peace of mind. I figure at least Ill know where I'm at because I have a 5am beatdown workout and I'll go straight to my apptment after that for a worst case. I figure at least I'll have an idea of where I stand

Where can I find the exact reference that shows the Pilot/NFO vision requirements?
It's not from Navy med (Website was on the fritz) but it looks like the same thing. Page 6

http://www.ososb.com/documents/NAMI_Waiver_Guide.pdf

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
and I don't have glasses/contacts, never had any vision issues other than my left eye is weaker than my right and aims a smidgen up (according to the music note with he line through it test). makes depths perception a little more difficult but I got by the first round.

BeLikeMike

Primary!!!
I just wish NAMI could clear you before you get all of the way through OCS... All that work and you still have a chance to get DQ'ed.
Yup and some of the guy found out they were NPQed for flight 3 or 4 days before graduation. They said NAMI doesn't review your OCS flight physical till at least CandiO phase. It's pretty messed up how the system works.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
Other than vision, I think it was scoliosis, history of migraine, irregular heartbeat and high blood pressure.
10-4, thanks for the feedback...I'll keep away from the caffeine/salt, high places and wont stare into the sun as much

CodyLand

Enter custom title here
pilot

Did the eye doctor give you an estimate for how much an eye exam to NAMI standards would cost?