• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

April 2014 SNA and NFO Board

Josh3714

Then how does anyone without jaw dropping ASTB scores get picked up? By this logic only people with 60/8/8/8 should apply because they're the only ones who can get selected.

But yet people who have had an OAR score in the 40's and people with 5's and 6's have gotten selected. My buddy who was AD got selected with 52 4/5/4. I feel like if they didn't look at the whole person/ package concept then why would we have to write our statement speeches and so on? I feel like it's more than just a score....but I'm also not on the board making the selections. Just my speculation.

Last edited:

MikeMillerUK

Nearing the end of Primary
Contributor
Then how does anyone without jaw dropping ASTB scores get picked up? By this logic only people with 60/8/8/8 should apply because they're the only ones who can get selected.
He isn't implying that these are the only people who get selected, he's just saying that people with those kinds of scores usually have a high selection rate. Obviously not everyone gets those scores, and there are plenty of well qualified applicants who don't necessarily "rock" the ASTB.

varlogkern

Frozen Hellscape Survivor
All - for those of you that HAVE taken both the ASTB and th newer ASTB-E, did you feel that there was any difference between the two test? NAMI assures us here at Recruiting Command that they are "similar" in terms of "toughness". One difference that we do know about is that the newer ASTB-E uses the flight control devices - throttle and steering wheel to administer the ASTB-E whereas the older ASTB did not use these devices to help capture an applicant's ability to orient themselves in life-like flying situations and is supposed to more accurately demonstrate an applicant's propensity for success as a Pilot and/or NFO. Would be intereted in hearing any feedback if your have taken both tests.
I haven't taken both but I wasn't prepared for the new spacial orientation test. The rest of the APEX test with the joystick was somewhat surprising but I wasn't too concerned about it.

varlogkern

Frozen Hellscape Survivor
just got a call from my OR, my age waiver was denied. no aviation for me. still up for IDC though. good luck to everyone. and yeah I thought I totally bombed the ASTB-E as well. the joystick part was insane hard.
That is unfortunate, best of luck with IDC though!

Mozart

just got a call from my OR, my age waiver was denied. no aviation for me. still up for IDC though. good luck to everyone. and yeah I thought I totally bombed the ASTB-E as well. the joystick part was insane hard.
Really sorry to hear that, best of luck moving forward.

brogdawg32

To OPO: coming from someone who took the AFOQT and TBAS, I was prepared for the joystick part and it was actually easier than the TBAS (they make you use rudder pedal for the second tracking part instead of a throttle). In terms of the actual test...the ASTB-E rocked me a bit. I agreed to take the test on very short turn around (4 days after first contact with OR) because I assumed that me scoring so well on the AFOQT meant I would score well on the ASTB-E. I feel the new ASTB-E probably makes it easier to score really high if you know your stuff but makes it easier to get stuck in a trap of scoring lower (get a few math concepts you don't know and all of the sudden your score is done. It literally asked me around 10 math questions before moving to the next section.). Overall it's a little more difficult to manipulate the system using good test taking practices as it's a dynamic test

VoodooNova

None
The joystick section of the ASTB-E was more difficult than I thought going in, but I also didn't prepare as well as I could for that section. I feel if you can practice for the joystick, it will be easier.

National OPO

All - thanks for the feedback on the ASTB vs. newer ASTB-E and feel free to keep those comments coming. Good feedback for me since I dont usually get to talk directly with applicants who might have taken both, and are therefore able to provide a comparison. NRC doesnt "own" and create the test, it comes from NAMI and is used in all Navy officer accession sources (NROTC, USNA, & OCS) for all applicants wanting to compete for Pilot and/or NFO.

cb812

SNA
To OPO:

I too have take the AFOQT once and TBAS twice. AFOQT seemed a bit easier because, as Brodawg mentioned, you could use good test taking practices. Not getting stuck on certain questions, being able to skip questions and come back, knowing exactly how many questions were in each section of the test, etc. It's tough to do the same on the ASTB-E with it being adaptive. Do I take my time and get the answer correct or do I try to get through as many questions as I can? The ASTB-E was also a bit more challenging to study for because you didn't know exactly what concepts were going to be covered. For example, some people encountered electrical/circuit questions, some didn't. Joystick section of ASTB-E wasn't too bad but I knew what to expect having taken the TBAS twice. Throttle (ASTB-E) was easier that rudder pedals (TBAS) for horizontal and vertical bogey tracking, respectively. For reference, I did study for several weeks for both tests.

Not sure if this will help you at all, but for comparison's sake, my AFOQT and TBAS scores are as follows:

P93/N80/AA97/V86/Q97/CSO80/ABM90
PCSM: 86 (63 flight hours at the time)

National OPO

All - update on the next Pilot and NFO board. It will be held on Tuesday, 06May with results expected out no later than the end of the day on 12May14. Good luck to all going in front of the board. As for expected selection rates, would once again expect a fairly positive chance for selection - above 75%. So even though applicants that maybe didnt do as well as hoped or thought on the ASTB/ASTB-E will still have a decent chance of being selected. The board takes into account ASTB-E scores, GPAs, and degree types as the first "cut" to determine quality of the applicants (since the ASTB/ASTB-E does represent a great indicator of propensity for success as a Pilot and/or NFO), but then does also take into account whole person to include extra-curricular activities/athletics, leadership opportunities, aviation experience, what did you do OUTSIDE of the classroom, and if already graduated, what have you been doing since graduation, Letters of Recommendation, prior service or family military heritage (you understand what military life is like), etc.

Kees

SNA Select
Awesome information update OPO. I'll hang in there as long as it takes for an OCS/SNA slot!!!

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

actually, before selection rates were in the 90's the following was the norm, 8's or 9's almost always picked up barring some very bad thing in the background, 7's were 50/50 shot, 5's or 6's were rare.

Myself I never had a person denied with 8's or 9's, 7's was indeed 50/50, every person I had with 5's or 6's was denied no matter the GPA or history, I actually can't remember a person at my NRD getting turned down with 8's or 9's.

The above was when selection rates varied from 25-50%

TGL78

ProRec Y SNA/NFO
All - update on the next Pilot and NFO board. It will be held on Tuesday, 06May with results expected out no later than the end of the day on 12May14. Good luck to all going in front of the board. As for expected selection rates, would once again expect a fairly positive chance for selection - above 75%. So even though applicants that maybe didnt do as well as hoped or thought on the ASTB/ASTB-E will still have a decent chance of being selected. The board takes into account ASTB-E scores, GPAs, and degree types as the first "cut" to determine quality of the applicants (since the ASTB/ASTB-E does represent a great indicator of propensity for success as a Pilot and/or NFO), but then does also take into account whole person to include extra-curricular activities/athletics, leadership opportunities, aviation experience, what did you do OUTSIDE of the classroom, and if already graduated, what have you been doing since graduation, Letters of Recommendation, prior service or family military heritage (you understand what military life is like), etc.
This is great news. My kit will def be up for this board now, and I convenes on my birthday! If this is true, it will be the best present ever! Thanks for the updates OPO.

cb812

SNA
actually, before selection rates were in the 90's the following was the norm, 8's or 9's almost always picked up barring some very bad thing in the background, 7's were 50/50 shot, 5's or 6's were rare.

Myself I never had a person denied with 8's or 9's, 7's was indeed 50/50, every person I had with 5's or 6's was denied no matter the GPA or history, I actually can't remember a person at my NRD getting turned down with 8's or 9's.

The above was when selection rates varied from 25-50%

Have you ever had an applicant get selected... then age out while awaiting OCS? Or would they not even select the applicant in the first place? In my case, if selected from this board, the July 20th OCS class would still commission me in time. I would assume (and hope) the board would be aware of this as they determine the Pre-Rec's, correct?