• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

April 15 Selection Board

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Thanks for the encouragement everyone. Can anyone tell me if NROTC is an option for 2nd degrees?

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
yeah..go over your app with a fine toothed comb...really scrutinize your motivational statement, check for any discrepancies, grammatical errors, hopefully your LOR's didnt say "He iz gonna be a gud pilot...he is an awesum persin, I think "jt" will do well in the Air Force, he looks just like that guy Maverick."

jt71582

pilot
Contributor
Haha hopefully not seeing as how 2 of them were from Naval Aviators. (O4 active, O5 retired)

PigzFly

Ok, this is not very encouraging. I am hopefully going to be reviewed by the May board, but if you guys didnt get selected, Im not sure if I will either. I am a Kinesiology major and dont have a great GPA. My astb scores were ok, but they could have been better (8,7,8, 68). I have a few things in my favor, my dad is an O5 pilot (not that it should get me selected, im doing this by myself), I have strong LOR's and a couple of good professional interviews w/i the aviation community. But I also have things going against me. I resigned from the Academy as a plebe, I have a number of traffic violations and im not in height/weight standards. I had what I thought was a decent motivational statement, just to find out that I had to have it under 400 words and thus was forced to cut half of it. I guess I was just pretty confident, and now am getting quite nervous. My recruiter has been a big help and hopefully I have "shined" in his eyes, but I just hope my package is string enough.

It will work out for the best, im sure, for all of us. Keep working and keep applying.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Pigz...every month is different you never know...just keep throwing it out there, and improving it. As Ron Burgundy said "im just gonna throw this out there...and if you dont want it..you can throw it back"....the worst thing they can do is say no. You have a very good ASTB score btw.

Biscuit69

Help!!!

Ok this is what gets me, according to my recruiter the results are not out yet, but yet everyone here already knows. Last month I had to contacted a friend who is on recruiting duty to find out the results, it took my recruiter two weeks after that to give me the results. I also had several conversations with the recruiter in those 2 weeks giving them plenty of opportunities to tell me. Either my recruiter is lying to me, or they are incompetent. How can I solve this problem? I’ve suggested things to them that would strengthen my application, but they keep telling me that those things aren’t necessary. My recruiter says that I’d need to write a letter requesting that my application be allowed to go through again, does anyone have any suggestions on how to write that request?

Spence

Wow, this is very discouraging. You had an awesome score. What did the rest of your app look like?

Age 22
ASTB 8/8/8 58
GPA 3.84 B.S. Aviation Technology
LOR 4 professors (one flew F-101s in the Air Force, one flew Phantoms, one flew in the Coast Guard), co-worker (Lt. Col. (Ret.) Air Force C-130 Navigator)
Flying 300 hours with multi/commercial and instrument rating
1st SNA

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
those are good numbers..there really isnt a "benchmark" that gets you in..just keep applying...possibly diversify your LOR's? i have 1 professor, 1 friend who is a lawyer, 1 family friend, 1 aviator, and my boss from work..also just go through your package for any errors or look for things that need to be changed.

navy_or_bust

jt if your recruiter told you specifically you were a non select then your package probably made it to the boards. For people looking for ocs slots it was brought up that next fiscal year they are bumping the selection rates up, so waiting 6 months sucks, but your chances may improve a ton.

Insomneo

Sheesh, must have been a ton of Captain America's that submitted. It is hard to believe that Spence was not accepted with those numbers.

I've also heard (From an o-6) that in some cases a lot of flight hours may be looked down upon because the Navy may dislike having to rid you of certain habits. I can't see this being true, but who knows.

annie8080

certified college nerd
Hey all, I'm up this month as well. I applied 1)Intel 2)SWO 3)NFO w/o BDCP (I hear INTEL is competitve enough w/o adding BDCP).

20 yrs old
ASTB: 6/6/6/56 ... i think (somewhere close to that)
College Junior: Int'l Relations and Poli Sci
GPA: 3.74
PRT: Ex. Lw

Poli Sci Honor Society (yup, I'm a nerd, but unlike most members, I'm not allergic to the sun)
I never participated with team sports, but I've been running for a few years (I turned in a list of some races I was in apart from school on my recruiters recommendation).

BTW, would someone please tell me what SNA is, and what it means to get pro rec'd? sorry...

Just got news that I have been pro rec'd for SWO and NFO. They even offered me BDCP, though I didn't apply (??). I am waiting for the INTEL board though since its my first choice. I am comparing my app. to some of the ones who weren't selected though, and it doesn't make sense. Mine is pretty mediocre compared to those who applied to SNA etc... Is it simply harder to receive a slot in SNA?

Does anyone know if NFO's fly helos?

Congrats to all...

jt71582

pilot
Contributor
All, thank you for all of your kind words and encouragement. I went in to my recruiter's office this morning to discuss my options. I told him that they can deny me all they want, but I won't take no for an answer. I intend to keep sending improved applications in until I make it. This is my dream, and I will pursue it until I make it, or am just too old to be considered.

Against the general opinion as to my situation, I felt I should re-take the ASTB, so I did, and improved from a 6 7 6 53 to a 7, 8, 8, 58. My recruiter was impressed, and eager to re-submit.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone. I won't give up. I can't wait until the May selection board!