• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Applying to the March 2013 Board

Navy Airedale

SNA PRO-REC
Take it again. The 7 on the PFAR is nice, don't worry about the FOFAR too much if you aren't applying NFO. You can get the AOR and AQR up, and probably the PFAR too. You can do it!

Also, do you remember which form you had? Form 4 is supposedly harder for some reason, it is what I got stuck with.
I took form 3 and from the looks of it, I suppose i will have to retake it.

AirGuy

I took form 3 and from the looks of it, I suppose i will have to retake it.

Hey man just though I would give my input. I am currently studying for the ASTB. I haven't taken it yet, but I have found many free samples online.

One thing that helped me more than anything on the SAT / ACT was practice. It's not so much about material as it is with familiarizing yourself with the content. Take the sample tests like they are the real thing. Look over which questions you missed and why you missed them. If you figure out why your missed them then great. Otherwise, try harder to figure it out and you will usually always get it (and feel awesome when you do). But if not, then of course you can just put it up here on AW and I'm sure someone will answer. Plus it will add to the database so others can look up that question too. There's one trick question on a sample I did and I looked it up and it was already asked about on AW!

Here are a bunch of practice test: http://www.carolinamarineofficer.com/Astbasvab.html
Don't do the ASVAB accidently haha. If you google "ASTB sample tests," you will get tons more. I was going to buy a book to study for this, but you really don't even need to. All the information is basically here for free. Also I heard the Nautical info is one section where you can boost your score a lot by studying because it is mostly facts. For the math, if you can learn and memorize how to do the equations and everything, then you should do well. Also, I noticed that once you get "used" to spatial apperception, it becomes much easier. Time yourself in the practice so you'll be ready for the real thing.

I'm no expert cause I haven't been to flight school. But I think it would be more beneficial for you to study for the ASTB. I heard that in flight school there is a lot of studying and 3-d Math / Physics. Of course you will have to study and learn that stuff in the future. But why not get a start now right? Math is really all about practice.

Based on the scoring below and you sample test score, see which section you really need to work on. This is how I study and it's worked very well so far. Oh and with the Math, it might be worth buying a book, if you prefer print. They will explain most of the laws / problem concepts that you need to know. But there's a bunch online too. $30 is way better than $10,000

Scoring ASTB:
Academic Qualifications Rating (AQR): This score is affected by performance on all subtests, but
the strongest influence is made by the Math Skills Test.
Pilot Flight Aptitude Rating (PFAR): This score is affected by performance on all subtests, but the
greatest contribution is made by the Aviation & Nautical Info and Spatial Apperception Tests.
ß Flight Officer Flight Aptitude Rating (FOFAR): This score is affected by performance on all
subtests, but the strongest influence is made by the Math Skills Test.
ß Officer Aptitude Rating (OAR): This score is affected by performance on the first three subtests,
Math Skills, Reading Comprehension, and Mechanical Comprehension.

Say how much time do you have?

VTFlyer

The private pilot's license won't hurt you, but the amount of money and time invested in pursuing a license doesn't provide an equal return on investment. That is just my .02 cents.

Unless you truly enjoy flying and want it to always be apart of your life. If you have the means to pay for it, then do it...you will never regret it. Do it because you love to fly, not because you want to make your package more competitive.

The only place I really see it being a benefit to you is in flight school. You will already understand basic flight theory and instruments.

AirGuy

Unless you truly enjoy flying and want it to always be apart of your life. If you have the means to pay for it, then do it...you will never regret it. Do it because you love to fly, not because you want to make your package more competitive.

The only place I really see it being a benefit to you is in flight school. You will already understand basic flight theory and instruments.

I heard from a pilot that a PPL could be a bad thing because you have to "unlearn" bad habits.

I'm not sure how true this is. Any comments?

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I heard from a pilot that a PPL could be a bad thing because you have to "unlearn" bad habits.

I believe it's true. I've been around the block including two IP tours, but it's only my opinion. Many other experienced NAs will disagree. Also att best, I don't think it gives you much... if any, edge in selection. In addition, the "bad habits" you may have to unlearn, are not necessarily BAD... just not in accordance with the 'Navy way' - markedly different from GA in many learned habits/procedures.;)
BzB

USAF_WX2USN

Not to be OCD and all that but if you guys are adding your stats can you just add yours in a new post not quote the list so that way I can just quickly scan and add everyone to my spreadsheet.

Name GPA
MK91 3.05 8 7 8 71
Afas1 2.99 8 7 8 71
Lincoln 3.38 9 8 9 66
Sneaky 3.09 8 8 7 66
Strandluper 3.4 8 8 8 65
Casey123 3.4 7 7 7 63
Brou 3.42 61
J.McGinnis 3.37 7 7 7 60
Alaurin 3.28 7 6 6 60
DSCHorr 3.2 6 5 6 60
BleedGreen 3.45 7 8 7 59
Chi.guy 3.6 56
Hay 3.09 5 5 5 55
Sumit 3.88 54
Jhuff 3.3 6 7 7 53
Graham 3.3 6 6 7 53
Roflsaurus 3.8 6 7 8 51
Patton307 6 7 7 51
zmayo 3.56 6 7 7 50
YoungAviator 3.4 6 7 6 50
Manbearpig 3.03 5 6 6 50
Navy Airdale 3 5 7 4 49
VFR 3.78 5 6 5 47
Naval60 3.7 47
McHale 3 5 6 4 43
Tenzo 3.4 41

Removed my name since I was selected on the IDC board

VTFlyer

I wouldn't call them bad habits. Military and civilian aviation have a lot of different procedures, so its more like unlearning one way to learn another. The theory of flight and "feeling" an aircraft will always be the same.

The biggest benefit I can see is the instrument training. Learning how to scan, fight spatial disorientation, and rely on your instruments is a crucial part of flying any aircraft. I have known a few guys who have failed flight school during the instrument portion. While the PPL may not give you a large edge on being accepted. I would venture to say I would do a heck of alot in your ability to perform in flight school and give you a learning curve. Not to mention you skip IFS if you are already rated.

J.McGinnis

I wouldn't call them bad habits. Military and civilian aviation have a lot of different procedures, so its more like unlearning one way to learn another. The theory of flight and "feeling" an aircraft will always be the same.

The biggest benefit I can see is the instrument training. Learning how to scan, fight spatial disorientation, and rely on your instruments is a crucial part of flying any aircraft. I have known a few guys who have failed flight school during the instrument portion. While the PPL may not give you a large edge on being accepted. I would venture to say I would do a heck of alot in your ability to perform in flight school and give you a learning curve. Not to mention you skip IFS if you are already rated.

I personally know a commander who just retired who flew tomcats and hornets, topgun graduate, and now flys for NASA. When I asked him if my flight experience will benefit me during primary (I am instrument rated), he said hands down. Now, there are totally different procedures when operating in a military / civilian flight environment that everyone will have to learn regardless of flight time. The stick and rudder skills are there, the aviation knowledge is there, and most importantly, the pressure during check rides and in-depth ground schools are good preparation for the brief, before and after the flight in primary. It's an equal playing field for all and would assume it's different for everyone, but to say that having prior time will hurt you is plain non-sense!!

AirGuy

I personally know a commander who just retired who flew tomcats and hornets, topgun graduate, and now flys for NASA. When I asked him if my flight experience will benefit me during primary (I am instrument rated), he said hands down. Now, there are totally different procedures when operating in a military / civilian flight environment that everyone will have to learn regardless of flight time. The stick and rudder skills are there, the aviation knowledge is there, and most importantly, the pressure during check rides and in-depth ground schools are good preparation for the brief, before and after the flight in primary. It's an equal playing field for all and would assume it's different for everyone, but to say that having prior time will hurt you is plain non-sense!!
To be honest, I think an IP would know much more about this topic than a NASA commander. Since IPs see students of all sorts everyday. Unless the NASA commander was an IP too. I guess there's differing opinions on this topic. But in general, it seems the PPL won't give you too much of a leg up in Navy selection.

If I had 10k right now, I would consider it. But why not just go through IFS, it gives you 14 hours or something right? I mean time spent in IFS is probably lower than time spent to get a PPL anyway. Then you could fly awesome planes like the T-6 sooner.