• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Applying to the March 2013 Board

Mew

The intel board is going to be my first. My package is pretty much done just waiting on transcripts

VFRonly

Pro-Rec SNFO May, 3rd 2013
The intel board is going to be my first. My package is pretty much done just waiting on transcripts

Well I wish you the best of luck and hopefully they are in a "whole person" kind of mood during the days they look through our apps! Even though some say that only helps non-aviation types like your self, but from looking at the stats of the people that were picked up during the December board, I think it can help or hurt anyone's chances no matter what designator you are applying for.

BleedGreen

pilot
It is great to see you here. It's my first board as well and I really can't wait application finished up and get my application in front of the board. Is your package completed or are you still working on it? I am just curious since I started the process a few weeks ago and feel like I am around 50% done with everything. However I'm hoping that I can get everything done by February 1st.

Good to see more quality applicants from AW!
I am pretty close, I have just a few steps left. The last part of my physical will be completed tomorrow (completing it outside of MEPS), fingerprints are next week, and I'll be ordering my transcripts the end of the month. Other than that everything is in.
I've noticed time really starts to fly once your trying to put your package together so good luck with the rest of your package.

VFRonly

Good to see more quality applicants from AW!
I am pretty close, I have just a few steps left. The last part of my physical will be completed tomorrow (completing it outside of MEPS), fingerprints are next week, and I'll be ordering my transcripts the end of the month. Other than that everything is in.
I've noticed time really starts to fly once your trying to put your package together so good luck with the rest of your package.

Cool. I just found out today that I have to mail the DD-2808 and DD-2707 from my physical to my processor and I should be good in that avenue as well. As you know MEPS sucks ass and I am glad I don't have to get my physical done there (for now at least). I will be going to the police station in town to get my fingerprints done. Time has passed really fast since I started the process. I have to still complete my SF-86, write my motivational statement, and continue working on studying for the ASTB. I am most concerned about the math portion, but I am sure with some studying and practice I will be able to brush up on the necessary skills to ace that section. I just started Christmas break from school so I have a lot time to finish stuff up and study. Good luck on the rest of your physical.

BleedGreen

pilot
Thanks and good luck on your ASTB. I was also worried about the math portion but it wasn't too bad. Stick with all the gouge in the "1,001 thread" for the ASTB and you will do just fine.

I just got back from my physical and I am not too happy about it. Unfortunately the doc asked me to complete an MCT to rule out any asthma I may have from adolescence. Although I already completed two pulmonary function tests he is still requesting the more extensive MCT, even though I haven't shown signs for asthma since I was ten. Its frustrating too because the NAMI waiver guide says "the MCT is not routinely necessary", only for severe history which I am far from...Just more stuff to deal with, but it will be worth it in the end.

Did you recruiter give you paperwork for the fingerprinting? I've had to get my fingerprints done in the past for other government agencies but they usually give a set of cards to fill out.

roflsaurus

"Jet" Pilot
pilot
I am most concerned about the math portion

You said you're a prior right? Do you have access to the Peterson's practice test? That's what I used for math, and I feel like it helped a bunch.

Oh and hey, what was your ORs reasoning behind not doing the physical? My recruiter said that I didn't need to do one either since I am a prior AD and current reservist. I hope he's right because I hate MEPs, but I would hate to have my package turned around at the board because I didn't feel like being cupped and asked to cough.

VFRonly

Thanks and good luck on your ASTB. I was also worried about the math portion but it wasn't too bad. Stick with all the gouge in the "1,001 thread" for the ASTB and you will do just fine.

I just got back from my physical and I am not too happy about it. Unfortunately the doc asked me to complete an MCT to rule out any asthma I may have from adolescence. Although I already completed two pulmonary function tests he is still requesting the more extensive MCT, even though I haven't shown signs for asthma since I was ten. Its frustrating too because the NAMI waiver guide says "the MCT is not routinely necessary", only for severe history which I am far from...Just more stuff to deal with, but it will be worth it in the end.

Did you recruiter give you paperwork for the fingerprinting? I've had to get my fingerprints done in the past for other government agencies but they usually give a set of cards to fill out.

Thanks! There is a lot of good gouge in that thread and I have been reading through it. I am utilizing the gouge from that thread, the Barron's and Arco books and a GRE/GMAT Math Review which has helped a lot too.

That is weird about you having to do an MCT, because I only had to answer "Yes" on things that are permanent in my health or have taken place since my last physical. I had Asthma for a little while when I was around five years old but after I moved to a different climate I never had a problem with it again. I hope all of that paper work smooths out for you, but its too bad that the doctor is making you do it at all.

My OR told me about the fact that I need to be able to have the fingerprints on an official card but she didn't send me anything. I am assuming that they have the cards at the police station.

VFRonly

You said you're a prior right? Do you have access to the Peterson's practice test? That's what I used for math, and I feel like it helped a bunch.

Oh and hey, what was your ORs reasoning behind not doing the physical? My recruiter said that I didn't need to do one either since I am a prior AD and current reservist. I hope he's right because I hate MEPs, but I would hate to have my package turned around at the board because I didn't feel like being cupped and asked to cough.

Yea I am a Prior and a current reservist, and I actually took the Peterson's practice test last night and realized I have a long way to go when it comes to preparation for the Math Skills Test. So how did you use that for studying? Did you just practice with it and review the questions?

My OR didn't give an actual reason for not doing MEPS, and a pre-commisioning physical instead. Did your OR say you didn't have to do a physical at all before submitting? I had to do a Aviation Candidate physical at the Naval Hospital on NAS Whidbey Island, Washington and the results of that are being sent to NAMI and the form is going with my package in March that shows I am physically qualified by a doctor. A physical prior to submitting is required for SNA and SNFO I think.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am a prior AD and current reservist.
roflsaurus... neato avatar photo, reminds me of my own. As a prior myself, I wish you luck in your endeavor. I have always been very proud of priors that make the grade & commission.:)
BzB, prior ET2 (SS)
MAS ERAU '89

exNavyOffRec

Thanks! There is a lot of good gouge in that thread and I have been reading through it. I am utilizing the gouge from that thread, the Barron's and Arco books and a GRE/GMAT Math Review which has helped a lot too.

That is weird about you having to do an MCT, because I only had to answer "Yes" on things that are permanent in my health or have taken place since my last physical. I had Asthma for a little while when I was around five years old but after I moved to a different climate I never had a problem with it again. I hope all of that paper work smooths out for you, but its too bad that the doctor is making you do it at all.

My OR told me about the fact that I need to be able to have the fingerprints on an official card but she didn't send me anything. I am assuming that they have the cards at the police station.

physicals for reservist and the process are not the same for non prior

exNavyOffRec

That is frustrating, as an OR I would get irritated at things like this, then you have the wait for the consult, but it sounds like you should pass it

roflsaurus

"Jet" Pilot
pilot
roflsaurus... neato avatar photo, reminds me of my own. As a prior myself, I wish you luck in your endeavor. I have always been very proud of priors that make the grade & commission.:)
BzB, prior ET2 (SS)
MAS ERAU '89

Thanks sir, I can only hope that I'm lucky enough to be afforded the opportunity to serve in the same capacity as you.
PS- If you're a cat fan, you should check out http://thechive.com/ They do a posting of funny cat pictures every Saturday... They also do a lot of posts of half naked women, so that's good.

So how did you use that for studying? Did you just practice with it and review the questions?

That's exactly what I did. I think I studied the ARCO and Atrickpay's Gouge for like a week or two, then tried the Peterson's practice tests. I only cut a 60 when I took it, but I basically memorized all the reviews for the answers. I don't know what % of math problems I got right/wrong on the real deal, but I cut an 8 on the FOFAR which everyone says is weighted most heavily by math. I had also taken the GMAT like 2 months before the ASTB, so that probably helped. Don't learn any of that data sufficiency bull s**t. It's effing stupid and it's not on the ASTB.

Did your OR say you didn't have to do a physical at all before submitting?

That's pretty much what he said. I don't get it. NavyOffRec, any idea why he would tell me that? I entered the reserves less that a year ago. Maybe he can use that physical or my PHA or something.

BleedGreen

pilot
That's pretty much what he said. I don't get it. NavyOffRec, any idea why he would tell me that? I entered the reserves less that a year ago. Maybe he can use that physical or my PHA or something.

If I can use my most recent PHA that would save me a huge headache getting waivers. I

VFRonly

That's exactly what I did. I think I studied the ARCO and Atrickpay's Gouge for like a week or two, then tried the Peterson's practice tests. I only cut a 60 when I took it, but I basically memorized all the reviews for the answers. I don't know what % of math problems I got right/wrong on the real deal, but I cut an 8 on the FOFAR which everyone says is weighted most heavily by math. I had also taken the GMAT like 2 months before the ASTB, so that probably helped. Don't learn any of that data sufficiency bull s**t. It's effing stupid and it's not on the ASTB.

Ok! Thanks for the advice! I will use that strategy to study since those questions are pretty close to what I will see on the real thing. Time was definitely a challenge for me so I will work on that as well. I need to score around an 8 to make sure I can get SNFO so I will be shooting for at least a 7+ but I won't just limit myself to that. I am just going to practice, practice, practice and review and I should make it out of that testing room in one piece.

I think that is weird that your OR said that. I am pretty sure you need to have a physical done as part of your application. It has to be a pre-commisioning physical of some sort I think as well, and I would assume you would need an aviation candidate physical. I don't think your last PHA will suffice from what I gathered, but I can't say for sure.

Oh and I was actually at FRCNW as well. I was an AS so I worked in 900 division, and I was there from February, 2010 to April of this year. What was your rate and where did you work?