• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Applying to the March 2013 Board

Lincoln Lucas

New to AirWarriors but I thought I might throw in my stats. Good luck to everyone applying this round.

Stats:
B.A. Economics, 3.38 GPA, top university
9/8/9 66 ASTB
3 strong LOR'S (one from an O-3)
Private Pilot's License, 74 hours
Pilot/Intel/SWO/Supply

Lincoln Lucas

If I don't make the Navy a career, I would want to go to medical school after my initial commitment. If I went that route, I just don't want to be too old when I eventually became a doctor. That said, I would enjoy being a pilot more than anything in the world. I don't know that my decision to leave NFO off was a good one, but that's what I ultimately decided.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
B.A. Economics, 3.38 GPA, top university
9/8/9 66 ASTB
Curious as to why you didn't name "Top University" (Notre Dame?).;)

Pretty fine stats, you pretty well nailed the important ones!:D

Recommend a litte more effort on your profile. Good luck.
BzB

Tenzo82

thought yall might be interested in this, this is everyone in this thread so far and I'm out for the SWO board
Name Scores GPA up for
Graham 6/6/7/53 3.2 SNA
VFR 3.78 NFA, SWO
Roflsaurus 6/7/8/51 3.8 SNA, SNFO Supply
BleedGreen 7/8/7/59 3.45 SNA NFO, SWO
DSCHorr 6/5/6/60 3.2 SWO, SNA, SNFO
J.McGinnis 7/7/7/60 3.37 SNA/NFO
Manbearpig 5/6/6/50 3.03 SNA NFO, SWO

Wow, that's awesome.

I hope you guys get it. My stats is not that great. OAR 41/ 3.4 GPA. ( Applying for SWO). I am AD and hopefully they look at the whole package because hopefully they look at the following:

Completed an IA tour and took a billet that suppose to be filled by an O4. My CO emphasis on that subject when he wrote my endoresment.

NCM
NAM x 2
Sailor of the Year
SOQ
JSOQ
Evals: EP, EP, P (New First Class), EP, P (New Guy).

Again Good luck to all. This is my first OCS package and my final for SWO because of my age.

Lincoln Lucas

Here's a little more detail. Sorry

Stats:
23/Male/Non-Prior
B.A. Economics, 3.38 GPA, Yale University
9/8/9 66 ASTB
3 strong LOR'S: one from a professor, one from a friend who is an O-3 SWO and one from someone who led a volunteer trip to Africa that I went on
Pilot/Intel/SWO/Supply
Applying from Western Mass to NRD New England
No legal issues
Failed depth perception at MEPS but included a letter from my eye doctor indicating that I am at 40 arcseconds depth perception
Extracurriculars and job experience are probably my weakest areas. I belonged to a few clubs in college and volunteered weekly at a local high school I've been working part-time in retail the last few months.

J.McGinnis

Here's a little more detail. Sorry

Stats:
23/Male/Non-Prior
B.A. Economics, 3.38 GPA, Yale University
9/8/9 66 ASTB
3 strong LOR'S: one from a professor, one from a friend who is an O-3 SWO and one from someone who led a volunteer trip to Africa that I went on
Pilot/Intel/SWO/Supply
Applying from Western Mass to NRD New England
No legal issues
Failed depth perception at MEPS but included a letter from my eye doctor indicating that I am at 40 arcseconds depth perception
Extracurriculars and job experience are probably my weakest areas. I belonged to a few clubs in college and volunteered weekly at a local high school I've been working part-time in retail the last few months.

You have great stats man...It's always nice to see members of our nation's top institutions veer away from the common law/medical/business fields and serve their country. Best of luck Lincoln Lucas

Mew

Because I'm bored everyone ranked by GPA if you all would like I can have excel pop out rankings based on which designator and scores. Also any one other than Lincoln and I up for Int?

Roflsaurus 6/7/8/51 3.8 SNA, SNFO Supply
VFR 3.78 NFA, SWO
BleedGreen 7/8/7/59 3.45 SNA NFO, SWO
Tenzo 41 3.4 SWO
Lincoln 9/8/9/66 3.38 SNA/INTL/SWO/Supply
J.McGinnis 7/7/7/60 3.37 SNA/NFO
Graham 6/6/7/53 3.2 SNA
DSCHorr 6/5/6/60 3.2 SWO, SNA, SNFO
Manbearpig 5/6/6/50 3.03 SNA NFO, SWO

I have a question to everyone who has taken the ASTB. I am about to take this test again and my only concern is the math section. I know how to do most of the problems my downfall is having on 50 sec per question. I run through practice test timing myself, I answer all the questions I can before the time expires. I can seem to only complete about 16 to 17 question before running out of time before I start guessing. I end up getting about 19 to 20 questions right. For the ones who have taken the ASTB how many math questions did you complete before you started to guess? Also I have taken this test before and I noticed the aviation supplemental part at the end of the test was about 90% aviation questions. It was like the aviation section all over again with new problems of course. Has anyone else noticed that? I am going only SNA and thought that was the reason more aviation questions where in the aviation supplement rather math, mech comp, reading.

Lincoln Lucas

For saving time on the math sections, I would recommend trying to do the easier questions in your head. Try doing this on a practice test and see if it works. I bet you can save 20 seconds per question done in your head. Sometimes estimating the answer instead of spending time doing long division or multiplication will work just as well, though sometimes this is not the case. You'll find that a lot of questions on the practice test appear on the actual test with different wording. The more you practice, the better you will be at identifying these questions. I wasn't time constrained, but I do think the more practice problems you do, the quicker you will become. You will learn the shortcuts and save valuable seconds.

The last section is definitely weighted heavily towards aviation. For a couple easy points on this section, I highly recommend memorizing transponder codes and airport traffic light signals. The can be found here. http://www.sportys.com/PilotShop/product/9212 Good luck.

J.McGinnis

I have a question to everyone who has taken the ASTB. I am about to take this test again and my only concern is the math section. I know how to do most of the problems my downfall is having on 50 sec per question. I run through practice test timing myself, I answer all the questions I can before the time expires. I can seem to only complete about 16 to 17 question before running out of time before I start guessing. I end up getting about 19 to 20 questions right. For the ones who have taken the ASTB how many math questions did you complete before you started to guess? Also I have taken this test before and I noticed the aviation supplemental part at the end of the test was about 90% aviation questions. It was like the aviation section all over again with new problems of course. Has anyone else noticed that? I am going only SNA and thought that was the reason more aviation questions where in the aviation supplement rather math, mech comp, reading.

It's good your practicing with a timer before you take the actual test...For me, the math questions on form 3 were much easier then the practice questions I did in the Barron's book. I had a similar problem going into the test as you did, but realized it was the nerves overtaking me and not the fact I "didn't know how" to do the problem. I kept practicing with a timer at home and went through a host of math problems from the barrons, petersons book and several arithmetic problems from the internet. Mostly every problem will look familiar. There were a couple that left me scratching my head and completely guessed on, but I think that's expected on every form. The key is to pace yourself and not get overwhelmed if you don't know the answer to a question. Just move on and if you have time remaining at the end, take a stab at it. Mostly every question will be simple arithmetic and algebra. I only had a couple geometry problems and both were very basic. As for the Aviation Supplemental, every question for me was aviation/nautical related-Some of which were repeats from the Aviation/Nautical Information. 60 7/7/7

Good luck!

Thank you all for your help, I will take your advice and start doing timed test. Also I have noticed after I have written the problem out I could've solved it in seconds in my head. Again thanks for the input.

Beefalo

If I don't make the Navy a career, I would want to go to medical school after my initial commitment. If I went that route, I just don't want to be too old when I eventually became a doctor. That said, I would enjoy being a pilot more than anything in the world. I don't know that my decision to leave NFO off was a good one, but that's what I ultimately decided.

Ok that makes sense. Best of luck.

VFRonly

Pro-Rec SNFO May, 3rd 2013
So where is everyone from? I'm from Cleveland and have lived here my whole life. Couldn't imagine not living on the water!!

I grew up near Austin, Texas and ended up getting stationed in Washington state after I enlisted so I currently live in Oak Harbor, Washington where NAS Whidbey Island is.