• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Applying to Jan board 2013

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Probably true right now sir, but there are plans for a "quality" vs "not quality" filter in the OCS boards of the near future, and apparently flight hours are one way for those with sub-3.0s to avoid getting stuck in the "not quality" pile, which is likely what TolgaK is thinking of.
I find that hard to believe, but for TolgaK's sake, I hope it works out. From what source does the highlighted info above come? FYI, there has been a lot of discussion on AW over the past few years, both pro & con, regarding the value of prior flight time in the selection process. You might want to re-search the subject here. Realistically, only your board members will know....Fur shure!:)
BzB

nombrescreeno

I find that hard to believe, but for TolgaK's sake, I hope it works out. From what source does the highlighted info above come? FYI, there has been a lot of discussion on AW over the past few years, both pro & con, regarding the value of prior flight time in the selection process. You might want to re-search the subject here. Realistically, only your board members will know....Fur shure!:)
BzB
Saw the GPA req part in this thread: http://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/ocs-application-changes.39781/

But I didn't see anything else on flight time

I know the Air Force selection process factors in previous flight time but I've heard varying things on how the Navy views it ranging from "it can't hurt" to "they don't care" to "they need to know that you'll be able to learn to fly the Navy way"

Of course, with all the changes coming along in the OCS app process, this board really is the first one where a lot of these things might happen -- lots of guinea pigs here

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
BzB

I can't remember exactly where I saw that detail about flight hours. I think NavyOffRec criticized it at one point, and I have checked out the debate about previous flight time. Not going to drag that horse into this thread haha. The quality pile stuff has been discussed extensively in this thread. 3.0+, 50+ OAR, and 6s or 7s (cutoff isn't totally clear) for "quality" pile.

McHale's Navy

sighted nothing..sank same.
I can't remember exactly where I saw that detail about flight hours. I think NavyOffRec criticized it at one point, and I have checked out the debate about previous flight time. Not going to drag that horse into this thread haha. The quality pile stuff has been discussed extensively in this thread. 3.0+, 50+ OAR, and 6s or 7s (cutoff isn't totally clear) for "quality" pile.
The instruction says 3.0, 48 OAR, and 6s.

Chemystery

NFO Final Select - Feb 17, 2013 OCS
To clarify - are those hard minimums, or are they the "Quality/Non-Quality" cutoffs we've been hearing about?
Minimum scores are 5 for PFAR and 5 for FOAR

Quality/competitive is 6's and above. 3.0 GPA and above and over 50 OAR.

Chemystery

I can't provide documentation, but my OR, when he first saw my original ASTB score (6/5/5 54) told me that I "passed" but that the chances of my selection were "slim to none." Basically, the cut off to even submit for SNA/NFO would require, I think, minimum of 5's. However, I have heard NavyOffRec mention that they might (and probably do) stack applications against ASTB scores and just cut-off at anything below a 6 and 50 OAR. I mean...once they are done with the "quality" applicants...whatever slots need to be filled might be pulled from the "non-quality" stack.

At least this is how I interpreted the info when my OR told me to get minimum 6's.

nombrescreeno

I can't provide documentation, but my OR, when he first saw my original ASTB score (6/5/5 54) told me that I "passed" but that the chances of my selection were "slim to none." Basically, the cut off to even submit for SNA/NFO would require, I think, minimum of 5's. However, I have heard NavyOffRec mention that they might (and probably do) stack applications against ASTB scores and just cut-off at anything below a 6 and 50 OAR. I mean...once they are done with the "quality" applicants...whatever slots need to be filled might be pulled from the "non-quality" stack.

At least this is how I interpreted the info when my OR told me to get minimum 6's.

I could be wrong, but I vaguely recall NavyOffRec talking about how he's never personally seen anyone with 5's get selected, and the breakdown of scores matters too

For instance, getting a 6 on the PFAR and 7 on a FOFAR has gotten people NFO but no SNA, and vice versa

paddybh1583

OCS 6 OCT 2013
Forgive me if this has been asked already but will NRC inform our OR's where are packet was lacking if we are not selected?

I asked because I honestly don't remeber my ASTB scores. I took them 2.5 years ago when I was with the process for Marine OCS. I was selected then for SNA (I know Marines have a different standard) with the scores but they were definately not 7's and 8's I'm pretty sure I had a 5. I feel now after reading this forum that my ASTB scores are not up to par.

As a sidenote the ASTB scores were transferred from Marines to Navy and put into the packet. OR told me that I should be fine with them so I didn't bother looking.

Chemystery

I could be wrong, but I vaguely recall NavyOffRec talking about how he's never personally seen anyone with 5's get selected, and the breakdown of scores matters too

For instance, getting a 6 on the PFAR and 7 on a FOFAR has gotten people NFO but no SNA, and vice versa

Yea...I too remember NavyOffRec telling us that 5's never get selected. 6 is still a stretch, too.

Personally, I am hoping they select for SNA with 6's because they know quite a bit might/probably will re designate to NFO if something comes up (medical or just prefer NFO). They have a lot of SNA slots and few NFO slots when I look at the "applicants identified" numbers....or maybe that is my wishful thinking. :rolleyes:

Seriously, though...300 something SNA slots with 30 NFO slots. I cant be crazy to assume they select so many SNA's in the rationale of knowing many will re designate to fill up needed NFO's.

exNavyOffRec

BzB

It is a new thing that NRC is supposed to institute now, but in general you are right ASTB and GPA's tend to track together, I believe the GA is a "get out of jail" card to help those that don't track and are willing to go the extra mile, of course I have seen several with PPL and low GPA's/ASTB's that were not selected.

exNavyOffRec

Forgive me if this has been asked already but will NRC inform our OR's where are packet was lacking if we are not selected?

I asked because I honestly don't remeber my ASTB scores. I took them 2.5 years ago when I was with the process for Marine OCS. I was selected then for SNA (I know Marines have a different standard) with the scores but they were definately not 7's and 8's I'm pretty sure I had a 5. I feel now after reading this forum that my ASTB scores are not up to par.

As a sidenote the ASTB scores were transferred from Marines to Navy and put into the packet. OR told me that I should be fine with them so I didn't bother looking.

the board only puts on general information that could apply to any applications, no specific information on an individual is released.

exNavyOffRec

The ORs have been following this thread and now they're just messing with us. I haven't heard anything from mine in weeks though.

No respectable OR would mess with anyone, I and those OR's that I served with would strive to put out the most accurate information at the time, now data does change and that is just part of being in the military.