• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

API Report Dates

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
If one guy does something stupid like.. I dunno, drives into a house, breaks his leg, confesses he/she does not have SDBs then it effects everyone in the pool and you might start having to muster several times a day and/or report for inspections.

"You may be sure that [Stash Ensigns] will commit all the stupidities they can think of, plus some that are beyond imagination."

The driving into the house story blew my mind... epic stupidity.

That's still a running joke around here when someone fvcks up... "well at least I didn't drive into a house".:D

Tiltedsky

pilot
My FO buddy who is still knee deep in A-Pool stopped by and gave me the latest round of "Stupid Ensign" stories. A word of advice, don't call in from your stash job and actually be in New Orleans. Flight Management is like your mom, they will find out. Especially when you say you'll be right in to sign some paper work, in 3 hours.

iwishiwaseatin

Hmm mhhmm
pilot
I just "chose" to start as early as possible for API. Does getting to pensacola before the USNA/getting married guys/girls help? That was my reasoning, albeit completely out of left field, for wanting to get there as soon as possible.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
I just "chose" to start as early as possible for API. Does getting to pensacola before the USNA/getting married guys/girls help? That was my reasoning, albeit completely out of left field, for wanting to get there as soon as possible.

I was happy I got there in early June for that reason too. When I classed up in July, the wait had jumped a couple of weeks due to the academy rush.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
My FO buddy who is still knee deep in A-Pool stopped by and gave me the latest round of "Stupid Ensign" stories. A word of advice, don't call in from your stash job and actually be in New Orleans. Flight Management is like your mom, they will find out. Especially when you say you'll be right in to sign some paper work, in 3 hours.

Yea, we had a douchebag in A-pool who took a nice trip to Boston over the weekend. Left Friday after muster and would return Sunday evening. No leave chit, no nothing. It doesnt look so good when you are called in Monday morning for a stash job but stuck in Boston due to weather. Try explaining THAT to the flight mgmt LT. Not good times.

Ace_Austin

pilot
Thanks for the input guys. I don't plan on taking any weekends to Boston. As long as there are a few decent paintball fields around my weekends are good.

foampositz

livin' life
pilot
reporting to API

I commission in MAY and I am requesting to report in AUGUST. Hopefully the new ensign rush wont be as bad then and the pools wont be as backed up

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Good luck with that. There will more than likely be a big glut of guys who will be coming in around time, they all wanted to have the summer off and show up afterwards (usually August and September). Don't worry about having to wait, everyone does, just enjoy the time off.

WBGTSNA

NPQ from SNA
Contributor
I commission in MAY and I am requesting to report in AUGUST. Hopefully the new ensign rush wont be as bad then and the pools wont be as backed up

Negative. Then you will be reporting at the peak USNA reporting season thus ensuring almost the longest wait possible in your year cycle. Assuming you won't already have done IFS, I would say get down there ASAP to beat the rush. Now that no one who graduates this spring will have done IFS at their ROTC units / current duty stations (except Academy types which I think can still do it in Annapolis) there will be another pool / rush of people trying to get it done down here. If you can beat the rush and class up as soon as possible for IFS, it might be a good idea.

On the other hand wait as long as possible in your current duty station and then be prepared to wait for a long time down here. This latter strategy is if maximizing your paid vacation is your end game.

KTBQ

Naval Radiator
pilot
I just don't understand this. It's paid vacation. Who turns down paid vacation? By "beating the rush," what do you gain? An insignificant head start on all those poor suckers who don't have a care in the world, who make a nice living drinking and sleeping? Some of my favorite time in flight school was nurturing a healthy drinking habit in A-pool, milking IFS in Destin (awesome place to fly) for all it was worth, and generally living the dream. You'll class up soon enough, and it will be everything you dreamed it would be.

MasterBates

I just don't understand this. It's paid vacation. Who turns down paid vacation? By "beating the rush," what do you gain? An insignificant head start on all those poor suckers who don't have a care in the world, who make a nice living drinking and sleeping? Some of my favorite time in flight school was nurturing a healthy drinking habit in A-pool, milking IFS in Destin (awesome place to fly) for all it was worth, and generally living the dream. You'll class up soon enough, and it will be everything you dreamed it would be.

Actually, if you sit TOO long, it starts possibly causing negative career issues. Shore tours cut short, that sort of thing.

Also, if I had essentially taken a year off, like many do now (some are forced, some try to game it) I would not have been able to transistion to a new airframe, and still be able to make LCDR and CDR.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor

Plus, ask those guys who waited till January or February to report about how they feel when some of their friends who showed up in June and July get their wings while the guys who reported later are still finishing up primary or advanced.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
There is always good and bad to either side. I got stuck for a year for medical reasons, but I think it worked out for the best since by the time I finish advanced, I'll probably either be, well, Hornets or new Hornets (Growler). Will I be behind my fellow graduates who are already winged? Sure, but there isn't much reason to worry about it right now.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
There is always good and bad to either side. I got stuck for a year for medical reasons, but I think it worked out for the best since by the time I finish advanced, I'll probably either be, well, Hornets or new Hornets (Growler). Will I be behind my fellow graduates who are already winged? Sure, but there isn't much reason to worry about it right now.

Did you want P-3s matt? The irony. I wanted jets but got handed P-3s instead. Just because you finish #1 in Primary doesnt always mean you get your #1 choice. For me, it came down to what was available at selection. I even had an IP tell me to eat dirt so I can go "tactically" med down. Then I would roll into the next graduating class and grab a jet slot. I knew a few ppl who called IMSAFE a couple times and rolled into other classes. No thanks.

But hey, at least I get to microwave food, make coffee, sleep on the floor and pee in a can :D Eat THAT Jets!!