• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

API/ Primary Tutoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterBates

Not only using same computer, you must have just missed each other twice today as posts from both of you from same IP address only came back-to-back in two time periods; once around 1000 and again at 1600. Amazing coincidence!

We're not pulling punches here, we get alerts when this happens and it draws Mods like the Sentinels in the Matrix. Sometimes it's a duty computer at OCS or at a Squadron or one of the husband/wife teams or someone trying to maintain two separate accounts, which is verboten and summons the banhammer.

Banhammer???

banhammer.jpg

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
<meek voice from the peanut gallery>

Does this mean there isn't going to be any aero/engines tutoring? :icon_cry:

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
ACTUALLY ... it happens more than you might imagine.

Most of you aren't aware of the MOD-SQUAD machinations 'behind the curtain' ...

The thing that's REALLY 'weird' ... is how many fools think they're 'anonymous' on an internet forum ...
:)

Especially on Air Warriors ...
:icon_wink

What's MORE fun is being referred to by your user name like someone's secret agent cover was just blown.

'Good Morning...DESERTOASIS.'

Somehow the drama of it was lost on me. But seeing as how it was another student, I am guessing he thought it was much cooler than it actually was.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
I always wondered if the mods got alerted when I accidentally left AW running on my desktop and then logged in on my wife's laptop.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I always wondered if the mods got alerted when I accidentally left AW running on my desktop and then logged in on my wife's laptop.

We can see that, too...but it doesn't alert the Sentinels the way two different user accounts using same IP address do. Besides, with latest forum software upgrade, we can actually see through your screen and tell who is really there. That's why creating a second bogus account doesn't fool us. With next patch, we'll be able to reach out and choke trolls.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
We can see that, too...but it doesn't alert the Sentinels the way two different user accounts using same IP address do. Besides, with latest forum software upgrade, we can actually see through your screen and tell who is really there. That's why creating a second bogus account doen't fool us. With next patch, we'll be able to reach out and choke trolls.

In that case, sorry about the naked browsing

niktam

Reminds me of when I was applying for OCS, and I walked up to my Admin DH, and called him by his username, ws very close to his callsign, remember, many young aspirants to ocs troll these forums too!

Spoonman

Gentlemen,
I appreciate the good natured ribbing. As for the quality of instruction, I have yet to have a student get less than a 96% on any of the 3 above mentioned courses. My last student scored 100% on all 3 exams. Last time I swung past UWF and checked the going rate for a tutor I was amazed to find that not one of them on the board offered it for free. So is it a bad idea to pay someone $40 for an afternoon which resulted in a 96-100% on your Aero or Engines test? I guess that would be up to the individual. I think advice given to students to look at the gouge tests is quite harmful as I have remediated many API students at the school house who actually "died by the gouge". Getting a little tutoring from someone with a masters in Aero is not bad advice and to inform others that it is, is really pointing them in the wrong direction. "Go get the gouge off the internet, don't go to an instructor".

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
Guess this is marginally different than being a flight instructor teaching "navy-esque" flying prior to flight school, only if you have to pay someone to get you through either IFS, API or flight school in general, you may be too inept for the business.

Do you really need 40 bucks? Come mow my lawn and tell me all about using finite difference method and the Thomas Algorighm for solving the Blasius equation!

Kidding.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I'm not here to comment on Spoonman's credibility or ability or whether or not what he's doing is right, wrong or indifferent.

I didn't have an API instructor who didn't make themselves 100% available outside of class. All you have to do is ask them for it. Hell, they give you their cell phone numbers for a reason. They want you to pass and get through the program.

And as far as Aero goes, there is a certain Marine Captain that has bent over backwards to help the last few classes. If you need help with Aero, ask him.

CAMike

None
Contributor
Waaaay back before home computers we had LT St. Aubin (circa 1984) ...except he helped floundering API studs gratis. He a was an amateur real estate mogul, API instructor and all around helpful dude. P-3 community member if memory serves. Anyone remember LT St. Aubin? He was a nice jewish young man at API.

I think Spoonman got in over his head in this effort and is panicking a bit in lieu of the 1st post falllout- just a SWO BROs opinion.

Let me know if you remember Lt. St Aubin.

Spoonman

240 students were cut from the program this year, it wasn't just the idiots that went home, it probably included individuals that under different circumstances would have made it and gone on to be fine Naval Aviators. It is interesting to note that the best advice on this site has been to get the gouge, look at the gouge tests, and above all, avoid the person that taught the class, contributed to the curriculum, has a degree in it and by the way has a 100% success rate with 16 students in the last 3 months. I can imagine the replies to this but I do sub at two high schools in Pensacola on days off, none of them have ever expected me to do it for free. They actually pay me to teach. (Money and not pats on the back.) When a parent calls me to tutor their student in math they actually have the expectation that getting their child through math might have an associated cost.

It is really a good thing that this is not a Med School site as the 'survive on the gouge' or 'look at the gouge tests online' advice might make me hesitant to want to put my life in their hands. As a mentor to these guys, (and many of you older guys have been in instructional roles, perhaps you had a student that only knew the gouge in the plane/simulator/classroom), wouldn't it be better to tell these new guys, "hey, work your butt off, study hard, ask your instructor for help and if still needing help than find someone that can teach you the material in a manner that will not simply be brain-dumped 2 hours after the exam and may actually save your life one day". Really...Aero does apply in the plane as well. Remember the hydroplane equation? How slats affect stall speed and why? Spins. You airline guys may even have reviewed this stuff for your interviews at one time.

While some of you will never be convinced of the merits of doing whatever it takes to persue your dream and let nothing hold you back I would simply say to you... would you cut my grass for free tomorrow? It'll only take an hour and it really would help me out.

Cheers guys and have fun with the replies. Its good reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.