• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anymouse: What I would change about AW if I could....

KBayDog

No one is arguing that. But a sea story from a Marine who has been on a float, is different that a "sea story" from a non-prior 2LT who made a middie cruise.

The point is being argued.

Needs to be a way to differentiate TBS Marine from Infantry Marine with experience.

Only infantry Marines rate to tell their stories? Non-infantry Marines don't deserve a voice?

I think the distinction would be from Fleet experienced Marines, not 2ndLt Schumuckatelli regaling us with tales of SULE 2.

Only "Fleet" experienced Marines rate to tell their stories? What about those who serve on base/depot units?

Not trying to nitpick; I'm just pointing out that there are a few issues you can run into when you make such "distinctions" between Marines.

As for the Navy, correct me if I am wrong, but there are more than a few Sailors out there without warfare pins. Are their stories any more/less worthy than those with warfare pins?

KBayDog

RetreadRand said:
Your argument should be less about the service one is in and more about their experience...

No, the service one is in is the issue.

Steve Wilkins said:
Nah, you can give write permissions to only those with a warfare pin while everyone else would only have read permissions (and maybe reply too).

"...write permissions to only those with a warfare pin..."

Steve Wilkins said:
I think the same standard should apply to Marines as it would to the Naval Officers. Why should having an EGA get you a ticket in other than to read?

Marines do not wear warfare pins.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Only infantry Marines rate to tell their stories? Non-infantry Marines don't deserve a voice?

KBay, dude, get your panties out of a wad. You know EXACTLY what I meant. Infantry was being used as an example. Don't be that guy.

KBayDog

Don't be that guy.

Not being "that guy." I'm just showing that there are potential issues when you try to determine whose stories (both Marine and non-"Warfare Pin" Navy) are worthy of telling.

zab1001 said:
edit: I think a separate forum for "Sea Stories" is unnecessary. When someone want to post one, it's usually related to an existing topic. If someone wants to post one just to tell the tale, they can post it in Misc, Private Naval Aviators, or where they think it fits best.

Exactly.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Holy sh!t. Everybody take a deep breath. Everything is going to be ok.

KBayDog said:
It seems to me that you would be missing out on valuable/entertaining stories from a large population of proven warriors (non-"wannabes") who just happen to be in a service that does not issue Navy "warfare" pins.
I agree with what you're saying. I was only saying that if John was to decide to put up a "Sea Stories" forum, I think only certain members should be allowed to post stories while allowing everyone to be able to read them and maybe even reply. When I say "certain members" I am referring to those officers and enlisted folks who have been somewhere besides a training command. For the vast majority of folks on this site, that means a warfare pin. I lump Marines with wings into that category, though it may have been a poor choice of words. Should post TBS guys be allowed to have a voice? Sure. While stories from folks in the training command have a place, I don't think they belong in a category called "Sea Stories" (which connotes something entirely different). I know I certainly wouldn't want to exclude the grunts who have been in the flee. But I wouldn't want to hear stories from the TBS bubbas.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Rather than arging over exactly who can post a sea story, why not just let the community self-correct it? We do have the rep point system.

It may be difficult to determine just which pins qualify one to have "sea stories", but we can all tell what's a sea story and what isn't. And if I post something I claim to be a sea story, I fully expect everyone to jump on me, a red dot to appear in my avatar, and possibly a banning.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Rather than arging over exactly who can post a sea story, why not just let the community self-correct it? We do have the rep point system.

It may be difficult to determine just which pins qualify one to have "sea stories", but we can all tell what's a sea story and what isn't. And if I post something I claim to be a sea story, I fully expect everyone to jump on me, a red dot to appear in my avatar, and possibly a banning.
I would prefer not to have more stuff to moderate.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Aieeeeeeee.

thread reset - Are you guys talking about ending the war zone? Or not? Or a "sea stories" forum? I've sort of lost track.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Aieeeeeeee.

thread reset - Are you guys talking about ending the war zone? Or not? Or a "sea stories" forum? I've sort of lost track.
I'm not advocating a Sea Stories forum. I was just saying that if one were to be put up, there should be certain conditions met before one can post an original thread. That is all I was saying.

Now, can we get back to more important things, like the upcoming college football season?

GMan1976

Banned
Now, can we get back to more important things, like the upcoming college football season?

Go South Central Louisiana State Mud Dogs!

guide1.jpg

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
RetreadRand said:
Webmaster,
I have ONE question: Is there any way to combine or add to the "advanced" threads to include the Vance folks (P-3 AND E-6 guys)??? I know they are few and far between, but I suspect the number will be increasing soon since some P-3 folks are going to fly T-1s now.
I don't seen any problems doing that to the public forums.

On the flip side, I have been thinking for awhile to move the private threads together under Private Naval Aviators so we could get more cross discussion.... oh well, gotta catch a flight!! :D

wiseguy04

The Dude abides....
pilot
I think the warzone is great. It keeps some of that material out of the other forums!

I agree, keep it around for what it is: The catch-all thread for what doesn't quite fit into the other "real" forums, and not to mention very entertaining at times.

It's an UNMODERATED forum, as stated in the warning at the front. If you don't like it, DON'T GO THERE... There are plenty of other threads to choose from.

SCGustafson

None
Why is the "Naval Flight Officer (NFO)" forum under "Other U.S. Navy Communities and Specialities" while "Spouses Corner" in under "Naval Aviator's"? The NFO section deserves to be in with the Naval Aviator's or its own forum under "Forums". NFOs are a key in the mission of Naval Aircraft smart enough to design for us.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Why is the "Naval Flight Officer (NFO)" forum under "Other U.S. Navy Communities and Specialities" while "Spouses Corner" in under "Naval Aviator's"?
Because we all know pilot's are a bunch of pvssy-whipped whimps that depend on others to make decisions for them. The NFO in the air or the wife at home. Since there are some NFO-less pilots out there, the Spouse's Corner is there to provide the direction they are so saddly lacking.....