• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anymouse: What I would change about AW if I could....

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Because AW is not about most of the crap in the War Zone. AW is primarily about Naval Aviation and by extension, the Navy and aviation in general. That includes promoting the Navy and aviation (how to become a naval officer), providing mentoring for those in the training pipeline (gouge, and motivation from peers and seniors) and misc career advise for those well on their way. Although AW is entertaining, it is not a variety show of stupid human tricks, dumping ground for political land mines, or a place for endless Chuck Norris threads (forgive me Chuck). But the short answer is that AW is what the Webmaster wants. It is through his efforts that we have AW as an incredible resource. Although he asks the opinions of some Mods, it is his call. Right now he permits the War Zone but you get no credit for posting there. Anyone think they deserve more rep points or posting credit to be some kind of AW honcho, then post something that is interesting to those that come to AW learn about Naval Aviation, or is interesting to the majority of us that are already here, helping others succeed in their quest for wings of gold.
As usual, Wink is right on the money...

John

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
RetreadRand said:
How about not...I personally don't want to hear "Midshipman 3rd class cruise" stories...or "in my ROTC unit" stories (you know that's what it will become)
Nah, you can give write permissions to only those with a warfare pin while everyone else would only have read permissions (and maybe reply too).

KBayDog

Nah, you can give write permissions to only those with a warfare pin...

...and/or the following:
globeanchor.png

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think the same standard should apply to Marines as it would to the Naval Officers. Why should having an EGA get you a ticket in other than to read?

KBayDog

I think the same standard should apply to Marines as it would to the Naval Officers. Why should having an EGA get you a ticket in other than to read?

Are you saying that the sharing of sea stories should only be reserved for those with warfare pins?

It seems to me that you would be missing out on valuable/entertaining stories from a large population of proven warriors (non-"wannabes") who just happen to be in a service that does not issue Navy "warfare" pins.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Are you saying that the sharing of sea stories should only be reserved for those with warfare pins?

It seems to me that you would be missing out on valuable/entertaining stories from a large population of proven warriors (non-"wannabes") who just happen to be in a service that does not issue Navy "warfare" pins.

Needs to be a way to differentiate TBS Marine from Infantry Marine with experience.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think "Fleet" would just about cover all the bases. To include enlisted folks.

edit: I think a separate forum for "Sea Stories" is unnecessary. When someone want to post one, it's usually related to an existing topic. If someone wants to post one just to tell the tale, they can post it in Misc, Private Naval Aviators, or where they think it fits best.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I think the distinction would be from Fleet experienced Marines, not 2ndLt Schumuckatelli regaling us with tales of SULE 2. Aside from Naval Aviators, Marines do not wear warfare pins. How do you exclude a grunt and allow a SWO? I don't know how to separate the wheat from the chaff on this one. Maybe time in service? How would that be verified?

edit: FlyNavy beat me to it. Same point.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I think the distinction would be from Fleet experienced Marines, not 2ndLt Schumuckatelli regaling us with tales of SULE 2. Aside from Naval Aviators, Marines do not wear warfare pins. How do you exclude a grunt and allow a SWO? I don't know how to separate the wheat from the chaff on this one. Maybe time in service? How would that be verified?

How do we verify warfare pins here? I assume we take the guys word for it. Then if/when he makes statements that are less than knowledgeable the original decision is re-verified.

I don't know...?

KBayDog

Needs to be a way to differentiate TBS Marine from Infantry Marine with experience.

I'm sorry, gentlemen, but a Marine is a Marine is a Marine.

If this is an issue, perhaps a "Sea Story" forum should just be limited to sea stories limited to those Navy officers who have earned warfare pins.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I'm sorry, gentlemen, but a Marine is a Marine is a Marine.

No one is arguing that. But a sea story from a Marine who has been on a float, is different that a "sea story" from a non-prior 2LT who made a middie cruise.