• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anthropometric issues (are you too big or even too small or...)

callsignecho

Clock Spider
I've read 64" is the min. standing height for pilots for Navy and Air Farce, but there have been several posts from SNA applicants listing their height as 5'2". Are there any active duty, honest to God, Naval Aviators under 64" posting here? Did you have to get a waiver?

It seems strange that all applicants have to wait for someone else to tell them if they are within limits. Aren't these metrics published anywhere?

Ektar

Brewing Pilot
pilot
Junkball and all curious,

To answer your question, there are anthro restrictions for helo's. They have the same type of measurement restrictions (butt-to-knee, sitting height, functional reach...) as any other aircraft. Unfortunately, the TH-57 compounds anthro issues because it has a seat that does not move up or down, so if you have a very tall torso like myself you can be restricted from helo's.

If it helps, I'm 6'4" as well and was anthro limited out of the tailhook and helo pipelines because of my sitting height. It's all about how you are proportioned and how your body will fit within the aircraft. Just remember, the anthro limits are there for safety reasons. If you aren't within the limits and something were to go wrong you might not walk away from the mishap (ie...going to eject and your head goes through the canopy before the canopy breakers).

My advice if you find you are anthro limited: first, ask to be remeasured. Sometimes getting re-measured you might find your measurements change. Second, if your measurements don't change sometimes waivers are unavailable (ie for sitting height) so you just gotta run with the cards you were dealt. Just remember, you will be a naval aviator and you will be flying!

ASCzero

do you guys know what the maximum hieght and weight reqs are for hornets . i am new and was j/w im 5'11 200

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
ok my recruiter did take my measurements and had them sent in a while ago. they did get back and say i don't qualify for the t-45 pipeline but am ok for everything else. i just wasn't sure if i got measured at MEPS also, before NOMI.

I have never heard of a recruiter being qualified to take measurements. Is this something new?

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
do you guys know what the maximum hieght and weight reqs are for hornets . i am new and was j/w im 5'11 200

You're going to have to look at the anthro's for a different (read: smaller) A/C before worrying about the Hornet.
You'll hear this a lot: use the search function

Tom

pilot
Contributor
My recruiter measured me. He didn't exactly try too hard, but I think the purpose was to give the applicant an idea if they would be already anthro'ed out from an aircraft (so they can jump off a picnic table for an hour before getting measured).

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Research it a bit further yourself before you post bad gouge. If you read that website closer you'd see that he doesn't have to lose weight as long as he's under the allowable bodyfat percentage, even if he is over the weight limit for his height.

I'm reminded of what an old CO told me once. "Officers don't go to the tape."

At least in the Marines, the skinny runner type is regarded as the model for physical fitness.

nugget61

pilot
Research it a bit further yourself before you post bad gouge. If you read that website closer you'd see that he doesn't have to lose weight as long as he's under the allowable bodyfat percentage, even if he is over the weight limit for his height.

I thought that only applies when you're in? :confused: They told me at MEPS its all about height/weight until you're in, then BF%. Didn't make sense to me, but its what they said.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I thought that only applies when you're in? :confused: They told me at MEPS its all about height/weight until you're in, then BF%. Didn't make sense to me, but its what they said.

Nope, I've never been under the weight limit and I've been rope and choked every time. That includes from the recruiters office before I went to boot camp till now.

*Edit*
I will caveat that with unless some strange new rule has just recently come out that I'm not aware of. The programs all follow the Navy PRT and bodyfat is part of that.

That said, I have heard of some recruiters, both enlisted and officer, having their guys be below the height/weight limit simply so they would remove one other variable that may possibly delay/keep them from going.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
ah...the rope and choke...I used to be the guy who did measurements. Had one LT who insisted I measure him while he was wearing a girdle. After a day of looking at hairy navels, I was not inclined to accomodate him.

FWIW, he passed without it.....then begged me not to tell anyone about his choice of underwear. Uh huh.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
They taped 2 people at my flight physical, and 2 people (that I saw, I'm sure even more...) at TBS check in. For the record, these were all jacked body builders who probably had super low bf%.