• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN Another call to "bring back S-3's" (Vikings are Zombies)

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Since were doing ships as well . . . . .
Knox Class FF
OHP Class FFG
Spruance Class DD
Ticonderoga Class CG
Sturgeon Class SSN

The original hangar we used at HSL-44 before the "new" hangars were added at Mayport, is still there, but the McDonald's is now a Panda Express? The first ship I deployed on, commissioned in 1987, was a brand new ship. I last saw it in Philly, with one other Tico and what must be the majority of the OHP fleet. I think the Google image is old, as I read that TSG has moved to New Orleans to be scrapped.

First shipboard landing was a TH-57 on Baylander in 1986. Did it again in 2010 in a UH-60A. My latest shipboard landing was last fall (2018) on a T-AKE. That's a thirty two year span! Wow, thinking of that stuff makes me feel old.

HSL44Old.jpgPhilly.jpg
It doesn't help that I was watching the documentary "If I Leave Here Tomorrow" while writing this post. I grew up a little more than a mile from the Van Zant's, and some of the footage from the show was familiar from my childhood.

"The memories will be so thick they'll have to brush them away from their faces. "

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Since were doing ships as well . . . . .
Knox Class FF
OHP Class FFG
Spruance Class DD
Ticonderoga Class CG
Sturgeon Class SSN
Same here with the Knox and OHP class. No Spruance time, but I do have Adams Class DD. Never been on a cruiser that wasn’t already a museum but did deployments on the USS Midway and a Kilauea Class AE.

ATIS

Where do I start:
Follow the money. S-3 won’t come back. Another TMS on the flight deck cost too much in the tail. Sure, take the basic airframe, strip it down and fill it with the latest and greatest gear, might be a nice addition but there are cheaper options.
Survivability: threat has increased, plus it’s not the Cold War anymore. The players and capes have changed.
Is there a gap, you bet.
So my takeaway from the article: BL... something unmanned needs to be built to replace the middle ground lost.
10-hour on station in a S-3, not on one sortie with two drops. I’ve eaked out 7 with two low fuel lights in the break. P-3, 10 hours no sweat. Article is business development queep IMO.

My background so some of you don’t think I’m talking out of my ass: VS-21 both ASW and non-ASW (I remember the day the message came out killing ASW) then VX-1 as OTD for the Mav+ upgrade program, in fact I struck the deal to put SLAM-ER and LMAV on the upgrade. In the end the community was dead. My bud still flies the bird for NASA. P-3’s in the Reserves which was another cost cutting crap decision by the Navy when then scrapped all but two squadrons. All my time after that is green ink with the special non-navy kids.

ATIS

robav8r

None
Contributor
your retort . . . .
Concur. But it's fun to stir the pot a bit and keep the thread alive :) I was an AW LDO (Ens/Jg) in VS-31 from 97 to 99 and lived through the ASW PMA removal. Emotional times for sure . . . . That squadron was one of the best experiences I had in Naval Aviation though . . . .

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As was stipulated above. I don't think anyone here thinks the Viking could come back, or should. The title of this thread was meant to be dismissive of the notion. The real debate is about where the CSG is wrt middle zone ASW (something that treads close to the classified) and the added value the S-3B brought to the CVW, which is now pulling away other assets better suited for other things.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Problem solved....I give you the future a Naval Aviation, the F-36Y "Grumbler." The Grumbler is an All Mission, Single Scope, Mutli-Manned Aerial Fighting and Application Platform. No longer is there any need to have so many confusing aircraft cluttering your flight deck. Do away with those excessively long runways and really big hangars at your VP bases and do it ALL with this aircraft.

The F-36 doesn't have a radio-hogging, oxygen wasting, over-paid, self-assured Naval Aviator "driver" as it is flown by a PO2 from a secured Navy issued Play Station assigned to his mother's basement. A crew of four Naval Flight Officers provide situational awareness and have several button in each cockpit to push and mash as needed. Capable of airborne early warning, close-in/gap/long range anti-submarine warfare, and SEAD, the "Grumbler" also has what it takes to complete any EW mission and, with the attached CODPOD can even deliver the mail! With four sets of mildly diminished eyes, the F-36 also makes an excellent observation and reconnaissance platform with the ability to engage any threat in air-to-air combat!

F-36.jpg

ATIS

The real debate is about where the CSG is wrt middle zone ASW (something that treads close to the classified) and the added value the S-3B brought to the CVW, which is now pulling away other assets better suited for other things.

That was discussed and dismissed/risk accepted years ago when the decision was made (and it pained me watching the process...which was money driven with the excuse of ASW diminishing in relevance/other assets picking up the slack as an easy selling point). Folks back then were looking 10-15 years down the road, not 20-30. There is no debate....we made our bed and now are living in it.

ATIS

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Problem solved....I give you the future a Naval Aviation, the F-36Y "Grumbler." The Grumbler is an All Mission, Single Scope, Mutli-Manned Aerial Fighting and Application Platform. No longer is there any need to have so many confusing aircraft cluttering your flight deck. Do away with those excessively long runways and really big hangars at your VP bases and do it ALL with this aircraft.

The F-36 doesn't have a radio-hogging, oxygen wasting, over-paid, self-assured Naval Aviator "driver" as it is flown by a PO2 from a secured Navy issued Play Station assigned to his mother's basement. A crew of four Naval Flight Officers provide situational awareness and have several button in each cockpit to push and mash as needed. Capable of airborne early warning, close-in/gap/long range anti-submarine warfare, and SEAD, the "Grumbler" also has what it takes to complete any EW mission and, with the attached CODPOD can even deliver the mail! With four sets of mildly diminished eyes, the F-36 also makes an excellent observation and reconnaissance platform with the ability to engage any threat in air-to-air combat!

View attachment 20681
No MAD boom, it must be incapable of ASW...

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot

View attachment 20681

Where the fuck do you put the Marines? Needs to be an assault platform, too.