• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

And the PRT changes yet again

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
folks think they can just hop on these machines (bike included) and just go for it.

yeah, you can pass that way, but you can also fail for no good reason cause you didn't know what setting to start on.

Pags

N/A
pilot
The other benefit of a run, situps, and pushups is that just about everyone has the equipment they need to do those exercises wherever they are and they don't need a gym or a piece of $1k exercise equipment to do. Everyone can get a pair of go-fasters and pt shorts and go for a jog and do some pushups and sit-ups before, after or during the run.

Farva01

BKR
pilot
Agreed!

Which makes one wonder why the USN picked what is perhaps the most esoteric workout device that has a high dependency on form/technique as a way to assess physical fitness. My Brother-in-law is now 20yrs past his rowing peak and isnt a paragon of fitness but he could still totally dominate a 2k based on superior technique. But whatever, PRT stays as a check the box exercise, most people will squeak by with the bare minimum, and the world will move on.

PRTs and all the angst and drama that surround them are definitely something I don't miss.
What’s the difference for a college swimmer doing the swim for their PRT?

Farva01

BKR
pilot
I did a mock PRT based on USNA’s version a month ago. Did 60 cadence pushups, rest, 4:20 plank, rest, sub-7 min 2k.

Plank was definitely more challenging after the Pushups, but still manageable. Row was about a 90% effort.

Attachments

• DEFECC17-162B-4937-BC75-848849213146.jpeg
    DEFECC17-162B-4937-BC75-848849213146.jpeg
    91.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 1AE16504-B1DA-47EA-9F34-1F538B4AEB13.jpeg
    1AE16504-B1DA-47EA-9F34-1F538B4AEB13.jpeg
    99.5 KB · Views: 40

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I did a mock PRT based on USNA’s version a month ago. Did 60 cadence pushups, rest, 4:20 plank, rest, sub-7 min 2k.

Plank was definitely more challenging after the Pushups, but still manageable. Row was about a 90% effort.

Daaaaang a 4:20 plank after 60 pushups? I've been doing 85 pushups and really start struggling on the plan after 2:30.

Going to search around USNA for their standards.

Farva01

BKR
pilot
Daaaaang a 4:20 plank after 60 pushups? I've been doing 85 pushups and really start struggling on the plan after 2:30.

Going to search around USNA for their standards.

Also, attached is the Marine’s row standards (they row 5k):

Pags

N/A
pilot
What’s the difference for a college swimmer doing the swim for their PRT?
Nothing. I was a HS swimmer and could have always had better swim scores but the run was just less effort and there was safety in numbers. Also the same for all the track and soccer stars when it came to the run.

Last edited:

PringleMan

Nothing. I was a HS swimmer and could have always had better swim scores but the run was just less effort and there was safety in numbers.
Having decent practice time is not always practical though. The last two bases I was at, the pool was closed almost the entire time I was there.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Having decent practice time is not always practical though. The last two bases I was at, the pool was closed almost the entire time I was there.
Which is kind of why the swim was also an esoteric option. You had to have access to a pool which isn't really an option for all the folks at sea.

PringleMan

Which is kind of why the swim was also an esoteric option. You had to have access to a pool which isn't really an option for all the folks at sea.
I would not say esoteric. That carries the wrong connotation I think. Swimming is perhaps one of the best cardio activities out there. Unrealistic in a broad employment as a testing mechanism, certainly.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I would not say esoteric. That carries the wrong connotation I think. Swimming is perhaps one of the best cardio activities out there. Unrealistic in a broad employment as a testing mechanism, certainly.
I'm trying to say it's not a readily or easily available option for a lot people. No argument with the benefits it or the erg provide; both options are much better low impact cardio options then running. But hey, maybe someone did a risk v reward for running injuries and long term damage caused by running.

Treetop Flyer

pilot

Also, attached is the Marine’s row standards (they row 5k):

I’d love to row for PFT’s but there’s about zero chance I’ll still be doing PFT’s when I’m 46