• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

And the PRT changes yet again

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
There's also substantial evidence showing what some sort of targeted core workout (like planking and side leaning rests) can do for helo guys (both pilots and aircrew).

Completely agree. I've got quite a few years in helicopter cockpits and no back problems which I attribute to weightlifting, in particular deadlifts and squats. If you are going rotors, find an exercise program you can stick with to help prevent back pain. (Also don't forget double hearing protection.)

Hair Warrior

Contributor
RUMINT is that the max score for the plank is 3:30. I assumed those scores/times would be stratified by age bracket and gender, but maybe not.

I'm also interested to hear any gouge on the scores for the rower (a.k.a. "erg" if you are hoity toity).

B008R74PRW_img1_lg.jpg

Rudy.30

RUMINT is that the max score for the plank is 3:30. I assumed those scores/times would be stratified by age bracket and gender, but maybe not.

I'm also interested to hear any gouge on the scores for the rower (a.k.a. "erg" if you are hoity toity).

B008R74PRW_img1_lg.jpg

I was told the min would be 1:38 and max is 3:30 for planks with no adjustment for age, could be wrong though.. Our All Hands we had this past week the skipper said they would use the 2021 1st cycle reults to adjust/set the standard moving forward. Guess that is why no one can fail the 1st PRT next year.

Also Concept 2 offers a military discount on refurbished (Basically New) rowers but they do not advertise it and you have to call to get it. I picked up a Model D last year for $800 all in so it saves you a couple hundred dollars.

PringleMan

I am honestly very confused about the rowing. Most machines have a sort of "max" speed and resistance you can physically go on the machine just because of the mechanism, and I have never met anyone that went at a pace less than that. So, how are they grading it? Why wouldnt everyone just set the brake to 10 and pump at the given rate? Guessing it is 12 minutes like the bike, which is not hard to row for that long for most people.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am honestly very confused about the rowing. Most machines have a sort of "max" speed and resistance you can physically go on the machine just because of the mechanism, and I have never met anyone that went at a pace less than that. So, how are they grading it? Why wouldnt everyone just set the brake to 10 and pump at the given rate? Guessing it is 12 minutes like the bike, which is not hard to row for that long for most people.
It’s not. Everything I’ve heard indicates it’s a timed 2000 meter row.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor

Hair Warrior

Contributor
My 2k row time is usually just shy of 8:00 (damper ~7) and usually I am completely gassed by the end. Also, I've never tried a 2k row after doing 50+ push ups and a 4 minute plank. Those evolutions will certainly change the dynamic of the row.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
Not to mention how your shoulders would feel doing pushups after a plank for X minutes

Pags

N/A
pilot
Was just going to say this. I've been on two rowing teams and both used a setting between 5 (maybe just a tad above it) to simulate the water.
I'll continue to pile on...wasn't a real rower but did use an erg as my daily workout for years. The damper setting doesn't make the pull harder it just changes how quickly the "boat" slows down. A setting of zero would be like rowing a boat in air and the boat glides forever A setting of 10 would be like rowing in molasses and the boat stops as soon as you stop pulling. So a setting of 10 just means you have to pull more often to go a certain distance which means you aren't really simulating rowing, instead you're doing lots of strokes with not a lot of distance covered. Ideally in a real boat or to accurately simulate a real boat experience you'd want to have a lower stroke rate. On an erg this means a low 500 split with a low stroke rate. Trained rowers can get easily get sub 2:00 500 splits. When used to erg I'd shoot for 1:45 splits and I think low 20 spm.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I'll continue to pile on...wasn't a real rower but did use an erg as my daily workout for years. The damper setting doesn't make the pull harder it just changes how quickly the "boat" slows down. A setting of zero would be like rowing a boat in air and the boat glides forever A setting of 10 would be like rowing in molasses and the boat stops as soon as you stop pulling. So a setting of 10 just means you have to pull more often to go a certain distance which means you aren't really simulating rowing, instead you're doing lots of strokes with not a lot of distance covered. Ideally in a real boat or to accurately simulate a real boat experience you'd want to have a lower stroke rate. On an erg this means a low 500 split with a low stroke rate. Trained rowers can get easily get sub 2:00 500 splits. When used to erg I'd shoot for 1:45 splits and I think low 20 spm.

To be fair, a lot of it depends on body size too. I’m fairly tall, by no means a ‘trained rower’, but I can easily maintain a 1:45 split on a 500. I never knew what simulated a real boat, I’ve just always used 8 as 10 seemed pointless.

Put an untrained Penguin and untrained Lurch on the rower and Lurch already has an advantage.

Pags

N/A
pilot
To be fair, a lot of it depends on body size too. I’m fairly tall, by no means a ‘trained rower’, but I can easily maintain a 1:45 split on a 500. I never knew what simulated a real boat, I’ve just always used 8 as 10 seemed pointless.

Put an untrained Penguin and untrained Lurch on the rower and Lurch already has an advantage.
Somewhat? My brother-in-law was a hyper-competitive rower back in the day and is short but his split times were insane, like 1:30 and below. If youre doing it right all the push comes from the leg and any extra finish you get from height is just icing on the cake. But, in a pure sense, height does give you some advantage especially if not trained as folks tend to use the arms and the back if untrained.