• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

And the PRT changes yet again

AULANI

To be fair, a lot of it depends on body size too. I’m fairly tall, by no means a ‘trained rower’, but I can easily maintain a 1:45 split on a 500. I never knew what simulated a real boat, I’ve just always used 8 as 10 seemed pointless.
Same, here... I'm 75" tall and I get around 1:45 for 500 and I row maybe once a week at best. I do like it though.

Anyone have one of these? https://hydrow.com Seems like a rowing version of the Peleton (which I have).

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Somewhat? My brother-in-law was a hyper-competitive rower back in the day and is short but his split times were insane, like 1:30 and below. If youre doing it right all the push comes from the leg and any extra finish you get from height is just icing on the cake. But, in a pure sense, height does give you some advantage especially if not trained as folks tend to use the arms and the back if untrained.

Yeah, a trained short dude will dominate an untrained tall dude. Knowing what I’ve seen at the prt in the past, it’s highly doubtful a lot of dudes will be training for this. They’ll just show up and do it, so advantage tall guy.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Yeah, a trained short dude will dominate an untrained tall dude. Knowing what I’ve seen at the prt in the past, it’s highly doubtful a lot of dudes will be training for this. They’ll just show up and do it, so advantage tall guy.
Agreed!

Which makes one wonder why the USN picked what is perhaps the most esoteric workout device that has a high dependency on form/technique as a way to assess physical fitness. My Brother-in-law is now 20yrs past his rowing peak and isnt a paragon of fitness but he could still totally dominate a 2k based on superior technique. But whatever, PRT stays as a check the box exercise, most people will squeak by with the bare minimum, and the world will move on.

PRTs and all the angst and drama that surround them are definitely something I don't miss.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Agreed!

Which makes one wonder why the USN picked what is perhaps the most esoteric workout device that has a high dependency on form/technique as a way to assess physical fitness. My Brother-in-law is now 20yrs past his rowing peak and isnt a paragon of fitness but he could still totally dominate a 2k based on superior technique. But whatever, PRT stays as a check the box exercise, most people will squeak by with the bare minimum, and the world will move on.

PRTs and all the angst and drama that surround them are definitely something I don't miss.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Which makes one wonder why the USN picked what is perhaps the most esoteric workout device that has a high dependency on form/technique as a way to assess physical fitness.
A Wing AMSO once told me that the PRT office in Millington had 2 O-4 physiologists competing for 1 EP. Can't confirm, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Agreed!

All the exercises are bullshit, except maybe the run. Not a lot of people can score high on a three mile (PFT not PRT) run and be fat and out of shape. The rest is pretty much bullshit. Does a plank make someone better at their job? They want a force that isn’t obese but specific exercises are tough to choose. Just being skinny isn’t good either. It’s still funny hearing navy types argue about which version of their JV test is best.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
All the exercises are bullshit, except maybe the run. Not a lot of people can score high on a three mile (PFT not PRT) run and be fat and out of shape. The rest is pretty much bullshit. Does a plank make someone better at their job? They want a force that isn’t obese but specific exercises are tough to choose. Just being skinny isn’t good either. It’s still funny hearing navy types argue about which version of their JV test is best.
Oorah meathead yut yut! :rolleyes:

BigRed389

None
Agreed!

It's esoteric, but it's pretty good for long term use without just being "easy."
The older guys who might be dealing with injuries will probably appreciate both it and the plank.
And for those stuck on ships for a LONG time (eg the poor bastards on IKE), it's a hell of a lot better on the body to get your PT on with a rower than it is to run a steel deck.

Pags

N/A
pilot
It's esoteric, but it's pretty good for long term use without just being "easy."
The older guys who might be dealing with injuries will probably appreciate both it and the plank.
And for those stuck on ships for a LONG time (eg the poor bastards on IKE), it's a hell of a lot better on the body to get your PT on with a rower than it is to run a steel deck.
I agree that it's a great low impact option especially because the ergs are usually empty at all gyms. That's how I started erging, it was the only machine open! That said, do we really think that a whole bunch of Sailors will now start erging? If so, then the erg footprint will need to change since most base and boat gyms have 2-4 ergs. Which also makes me wonder how this is going to be administered with limited resources. The beauty of a run and some calisthenics is that they can be easily administered to huge groups of people at once.