• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ammo, Ammo, Ammo

CAMike

None
Contributor
Good stuff- no doubt.

Please keep in mind that since it's a 900 round purchase, the cost per round is still $0.383 , which is "just competetive" as compared to other internet sales offerings.

If you don't reload- this is a good offering.

tip= learn to reload. Range brass is often free.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Well, that's not to far off.

Nope it's not. I'll probably buy some more too if it's priced anywhere near where it was before. Hell who would have thought it would ever be cheaper to shoot a Garand that it is to shoot an M1A.

Good stuff- no doubt.

Please keep in mind that since it's a 900 round purchase, the cost per round is still $0.383 , which is "just competetive" as compared to other internet sales offerings.

If you don't reload- this is a good offering.

Yup also be sure to factor in the shipping cost as well. The AIM stuff includes shipping. Not sure what others are charging. The stuff from Classic is a good deal for me because they are about 8 miles from where I sit right now. I can go by and pick it up.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Crap... I haven't bought ammo in a long time... but I remember when it was sub $100 for a thousand rounds. This is really depressing. Maybe being stationed in Kalifornia is saving me money.

Floppy_D

I am the hunted

I will second this for almost anything but 223. For reloading rifle brass (especially MIL brass) you have the following steps: lubing case, resizing/depriming case, trimming brass to length, chamfering brass, deburring brass, swaging and cleaning primer pockets, priming, charging and seating a bullet. Buying bulk and loading on a Dillon 550, I can get the cost of 55g FMJBT ammo down to $3.90 a box, which is a lot of work for a little return. I load for 20 calibers and cast my own bullets out of scrap wheel weight, and many loads really benefit from that. I can make a 100 round box of 45acp for less than $4; including lube, powder, primers and electricity. About the same cost for 45LC and 44mag, and I can make some sweet cast 30-06 plinking loads for $0.90 a box of 20. My hunting loads are about $.30 a round for Nosler tipped premium ammo. So reloading does save a bundle, but 223 is not really a cost saver, espcially if you factor in all of the work involved. I loaded up 2k rounds before coming to Pcola, and it was a labor intensive nightmare. I can cast 1k bullets in a sitting, and load 1k bullets on my Dillon in a sitting. The prepwork for MIL rifle brass is the kink in the hose; that, and you can't really shoot cast bullets in 223.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Crap... I haven't bought ammo in a long time... but I remember when it was sub $100 for a thousand rounds. This is really depressing. Maybe being stationed in Kalifornia is saving me money.

2004 - 1000 rds Lake City 5.56 shipped for $110 ... :icon_cryi

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Match Grade Ammo (Hornady)

CMP is offering match grade ammo at some very good prices. I understand they have "adequate stocks". Hornady match grade 200 rounds 30.06 168gr $258 including shipping (CONUS). 200 rounds .223 75gr boat tail, hollow point; $147.00 including shipping (CONUS).

CMP has been out of .30 cal carbine ammo for some time. As posted, they have obtained a huge shipment of surplus 30.06 expected to go on sale early next year.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
CMP is offering match grade ammo at some very good prices. I understand they have "adequate stocks". Hornady match grade 200 rounds 30.06 168gr $258 including shipping (CONUS). 200 rounds .223 75gr boat tail, hollow point; $147.00 including shipping (CONUS).

CMP has been out of .30 cal carbine ammo for some time. As posted, they have obtained a huge shipment of surplus 30.06 expected to go on sale early next year.

Yea I was talking about the Greek 30.06 they are bringing into the country. I usually just call it .30 cal as that's what's on the crate. I did manage to get 1500 rounds of their Aguila .30 cal carbine ammo after waiting for months on back order. Fantastic price. Aguila is raising all their prices though so the next deal won't be as good.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
T.A.P. ammo ...

One of our local cops -- after pulling up behind me yesterday @ the local hardware store & giving me a full body cavity exam -- showed me some of the ammo he was carrying in the a-u-t-o-m-o-b-i-l-e ... for .223/5.56mm ... it was in a 'buff' military-style box, marked T.A.P. ... and was red-tipped ... frangible.

As I was cleaning myself from the 'exam' ... I forgot to 'axe' him: who makes it???

Do you suppose it's Hornady 55gr TAP ???

Some kinda' variation of their 5.57x28mm SS197 V-MAX bullet ... the one w/ the BLUE tip ???

ME LIKE.

I gots to know ...

ryan1234

One of our local cops -- after pulling up behind me yesterday @ the local hardware store & giving me a full body cavity exam -- showed me some of the ammo he was carrying in the a-u-t-o-m-o-b-i-l-e ... for .223/5.56mm ... it was in a 'buff' military-style box, marked T.A.P. ... and was red-tipped ... frangible.

As I was cleaning myself from the 'exam' ... I forgot to 'axe' him: who makes it???

Do you suppose it's Hornady 55gr TAP ???

Some kinda' variation of their 5.57x28mm SS197 V-MAX bullet ... the one w/ the BLUE tip ???

ME LIKE.

I gots to know ...

I use the .308 155gr Hornady TAP... when I was at the range a guy from the local police was using it also (different box than mine though) ... he was using it out of a 700 with a smaller grain than mine... maybe 115gr .308? He said that they use the same ammo in their ARs (TAP 5.56).

It's a little expensive, but it looks pretty cool. The BTHP match .308 seems to hold a little tighter groups than the TAP.. but I guess it should.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
I know the "good stuff" I keep in my go mags is Hornady's 5.56 75gr TAP loading which uses their BTHP T2 bullet. It's loaded a bit hotter and uses a different bullet than the .223 75 gr "civilian" TAP FPD (For Personal Defense) load.

The round he showed you is probably the 5.56 loading which uses their 55 gr V-Max bullet. Hornady makes that particular bullet both with and without cannelure. I don't know which one they use in their 55 gr 5.56 TAP rounds. If it's like their 75 gr TAP line they use a different round and a hotter load for their "police and military only" 5.56 version than they do for the .223 TAP FPD.

You won't find the 5.56 version of either the 55 gr or the 75 gr TAP in stores unless it's at a "police supply store". Even though it's not illegal a lot of times they won't sell it to nasty civilian's like me. You can find it on line. Just be sure it says 5.56 and not .223 on the box. They are different rounds. (at least they are in 75gr TAP).