• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

All things MV-22 Osprey

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Ok so just what the heck are they doing with this MV-22?

We used battlefield illumination for area denial quite a lot in Iraq but I’ve never seen it done by a -22 (usually C-130’s). The purpose was less about helping us see in the dark than letting the locals know we were watching.

Roger_Waveoff

pilot
You only need 750 as a mil pilot - go accumulate Airplane Category flight time somewhere. And go get your MEL add on.
Thankfully, with a very recent (September) FAA ruling, we don't even need that. Any "horizontal flight" tiltrotor time is fair game to fulfill all the prerequisites of FAR 61.159 for an Airplane ATP. We just need to hit 750 and we're good.

Roger_Waveoff

pilot
Do you log vertical time and horizontal time differently?
No, we don’t. It all goes into M-SHARP and our logbook the same. If anyone’s really looking to split hairs over it, I’ll create a separate column in an electronic logbook and put 10% of my total V-22 time in there as “vertical flight” and leave the other 90% as “horizontal flight.” Since that is quite honestly how such a breakdown would look.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
No, we don’t. It all goes into M-SHARP and our logbook the same. If anyone’s really looking to split hairs over it, I’ll create a separate column in an electronic logbook and put 10% of my total V-22 time in there as “vertical flight” and leave the other 90% as “horizontal flight.” Since that is quite honestly how such a breakdown would look.
Well you could always break it down into horizontal and vertical vectors. Unless you’re perfectly stationary, surely you’re logging horizontal flight time.

Update: I finally got DIFOP orders to 1st MAW. It’s ok to be honest with me, am I about to rot away at the MAW or can I reasonably expect to see some flight time while I’m there?

The monitor told me I will augment to continue to fly the Osprey some as well as begin to fly the UC-35. Looking at MSHARP a lot of the MAW dudes are racking up UC-35 hours, but I don’t know if those guys have specific orders to be a station pilot or if their orders look a like mine.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Update: I finally got DIFOP orders to 1st MAW. It’s ok to be honest with me, am I about to rot away at the MAW or can I reasonably expect to see some flight time while I’m there?

The monitor told me I will augment to continue to fly the Osprey some as well as begin to fly the UC-35. Looking at MSHARP a lot of the MAW dudes are racking up UC-35 hours, but I don’t know if those guys have specific orders to be a station pilot or if their orders look a like mine.
Make sure you knock out the CE560 type rating! Should be just a paperwork drill.

Update #2 for those who have been keeping track.

Welp the monitor lied to me big time. I spoke with the monitor again prior to PCSing and he told me I would definitely be able to fly for station out here (i reached out to station as well and they told me they would be happy to have me). When I PCS'd, I immediately put a package with station. That package was subsequently shot down due to my low hours compared to others that were submitting packages (from original post: my orders were curtailed due to overstaffing of MV-22 pilots on the West coast). I am obviously unable to augment to MV-22 squadrons at the moment, and even if the squadrons were able to fly, their augments were only getting a handful of hours a month.

At this point, I am indeed going to rot away at the MAW for the next three years. At the end of these orders I will have 15 years in, I had every intention of making it a career and then transitioning to the airlines. After getting screwed over this bad there is no way I'm staying in, and now my dream of going to the airlines is (at the least) severely delayed due to not being able to fly.

Odominable

PILOT HMSD TRACK FAIL
pilot
Very sorry dude. I don’t have much to offer beyond that - to clarify, are you in Futenma? I believe Kadena has a flying club, that might be worth exploring from a time building / proficiency / fun perspective.

Roger_Waveoff

pilot
Update #2 for those who have been keeping track.

Welp the monitor lied to me big time. I spoke with the monitor again prior to PCSing and he told me I would definitely be able to fly for station out here (i reached out to station as well and they told me they would be happy to have me). When I PCS'd, I immediately put a package with station. That package was subsequently shot down due to my low hours compared to others that were submitting packages (from original post: my orders were curtailed due to overstaffing of MV-22 pilots on the West coast). I am obviously unable to augment to MV-22 squadrons at the moment, and even if the squadrons were able to fly, their augments were only getting a handful of hours a month.

At this point, I am indeed going to rot away at the MAW for the next three years. At the end of these orders I will have 15 years in, I had every intention of making it a career and then transitioning to the airlines. After getting screwed over this bad there is no way I'm staying in, and now my dream of going to the airlines is (at the least) severely delayed due to not being able to fly.
Damn shame, and yet another entry in a collection of countless examples of how the Marine Corps does its own retention problem to itself.

Sadly, through no fault of your own, you were the victim of the Marine Corps’s inability to manage its pilot production worth a damn. So far the only people I know whose orders got curtailed and didn’t get screwed were those who volunteered for FAC tours with the agreement there’d be something good on the back end like flight school IP.

Besides that, unfortunately there isn’t a ton of demand among the fleet OR the supporting establishment flying gigs for senior co-pilots and junior aircraft commanders, which is roughly where I’m guessing you were in your progression when the hammer came down.

Last edited: