• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

All things MV-22 Osprey

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I'd also consider the lat transfer over to the Coast Guard. Great duty stations, solid lifestyle (more fireman than military), rewarding mission. And they just treat their pilots way better.

taxi1

pilot
Some good news that I have heard: Flight school is currently under 60% the staff that they are supposed to have, so they are HURTING for instructors big time. I just don't know if they will accept pilots who are not aircraft commanders.
Do they still have SERGRADs in CNATRA? None of them had any fleet time, all had less experience than you.

Best of luck in Okinawa if you get it!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
One of the mechanics at work is one of the newer Reserve enlisted (aircrew) guys. Sounds like they're still trying to figure things out, but he's been drilling.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Do they still have SERGRADs in CNATRA? None of them had any fleet time, all had less experience than you.

Best of luck in Okinawa if you get it!
I believe it's still in CNATRA instructions however I understand it's been long inactive as a program and was mainly reserved for T-45's....VT's when it was used....

Roger_Waveoff

pilot
Reviving the discussion on the West Coast MV-22 shortage a little bit - I'm definitely curious to see what this does to retention in the long run. Bit of a correction to Jimbo's post - you still have to stay a 7532 because HQMC still needs MV-22 pilot Majors and eventually LtCols. MOS lateral transfers are only on the table to switch to Cyber. That's gonna be a fun future problem for PTOs. Out of the 4 Majors my squadron has received since I've been here, only 2 have actually made it out of the 2000-level refresh (or initial in the case of 1) syllabus. I can't imagine what it'll be like trying to feed first-tour T2Ps and progress Majors who never even picked up TAC. Interservice transfers are not on the table if you are still on contract, which is basically everyone whose name got put up for orders curtailment.

In any case - the MV-22 community really shot itself in the foot by keeping the production faucet on for too long, assuming that was a decision made at our level. It shouldn't be any surprise to anyone that the morale of junior aircraft commanders and below is in the garbage. I'll certainly be surprised if more than a couple of my peers (or adjacent peer groups) even accept career designation. A ton of us are slogging through the first semester of EWS to be looked on more favorably by the Rotary-Wing Monitor, but some aren't even going that far. In the words of one of my peers, "I would rather be homeless than stay in the Marine Corps." Those of us who want to stay flying are looking hard into the regionals (because fat chance we hit >1,500 hours anytime soon), to include padding our time with GA airplane signing hours as much as our wallets can tolerate.

Roger_Waveoff

pilot
Why? Is it that difficult procedurally or airmanship wise?
It's simply a matter of priorities. At least from what I've seen, our Majors are simply too busy with higher-level/external stuff to be relied on as the heavy fliers and instructors. Even if they attend WTI, they're not going to serve as PTOs or the lead planners for major exercises or high-priority missions. The return on the squadron's investment in the progression of an O-4 is simply nowhere close to what it can be for a first-tour aviator.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
It's simply a matter of priorities. At least from what I've seen, our Majors are simply too busy with higher-level/external stuff to be relied on as the heavy fliers and instructors. Even if they attend WTI, they're not going to serve as PTOs or the lead planners for major exercises or high-priority missions. The return on the squadron's investment in the progression of an O-4 is simply nowhere close to what it can be for a first-tour aviator.

That is a stark contrast to Majors in most other communities. I would submit that flight hours and number of excess aircrew in each squadron have a large play in that as well. Dealing with “field grade” stuff is normal ops for all DHs in a fleet squadron.