• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

All things MV-22 Osprey

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Update #2 for those who have been keeping track.

Welp the monitor lied to me big time. I spoke with the monitor again prior to PCSing and he told me I would definitely be able to fly for station out here (i reached out to station as well and they told me they would be happy to have me). When I PCS'd, I immediately put a package with station. That package was subsequently shot down due to my low hours compared to others that were submitting packages (from original post: my orders were curtailed due to overstaffing of MV-22 pilots on the West coast). I am obviously unable to augment to MV-22 squadrons at the moment, and even if the squadrons were able to fly, their augments were only getting a handful of hours a month.

At this point, I am indeed going to rot away at the MAW for the next three years. At the end of these orders I will have 15 years in, I had every intention of making it a career and then transitioning to the airlines. After getting screwed over this bad there is no way I'm staying in, and now my dream of going to the airlines is (at the least) severely delayed due to not being able to fly.

Pledge ANG units stat. You might still be able to get in. It will take you longer than 5 years to get to an AD retirement, but it's worth it. And it will let you get to the airlines quicker- which gets you a better seniority number.

Very sorry dude. I don’t have much to offer beyond that - to clarify, are you in Futenma? I believe Kadena has a flying club, that might be worth exploring from a time building / proficiency / fun perspective.

I appreciate it man, I'm on Foster at the moment. Thankfully they do have a flying club! I'm going to pay out of pocket to work my way to my R-ATP and hopefully pick-up a decent skillbridge opportunity on my way out to build hours.

Damn shame, and yet another entry in a collection of countless examples of how the Marine Corps does its own retention problem to itself.

Sadly, through no fault of your own, you were the victim of the Marine Corps’s inability to manage its pilot production worth a damn. So far the only people I know whose orders got curtailed and didn’t get screwed were those who volunteered for FAC tours with the agreement there’d be something good on the back end like flight school IP.

Besides that, unfortunately there isn’t a ton of demand among the fleet OR the supporting establishment flying gigs for senior co-pilots and junior aircraft commanders, which is roughly where I’m guessing you were in your progression when the hammer came down.

Yeah, honestly I can't put into words how bad it sucks. I feel like I've wasted years of my life for nothing at this point. I feel even worse for my family who has been dragged around this whole time and now across the world away from all of our family. If i knew this would've been the case, I would have 100% have jumped on a FAC tour or another 12 month ground tour.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
@JimboSlicee - Recentlly assisted a fellow Navy helo dude to build his airplane category experience to ATP mins. A lot of it in a humble Cessna 172. Then multi engine experience in a Barron and a Piper Aztec. He paid for the ATP-CTP (Delta's) out of pocket, did the ATP checkride with the infamous "Gordo" in Georgia. With nothing but piston fixed wing time, ATP MEL complete and 1000 hours of Navy helo and primary flight training T-6 time, he was hired immediately at Spirit and then, after training and on OE in the Airbus, he was able to interview at United and was hired. He is currently on the 7 3. Some of the funding came from the Navy's career transition programs (COOL).

My point is it's very doable with your background. You are young and the forces of the universe are all on your side!

Last edited:

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
Update #2 for those who have been keeping track.

Welp the monitor lied to me big time. I spoke with the monitor again prior to PCSing and he told me I would definitely be able to fly for station out here (i reached out to station as well and they told me they would be happy to have me). When I PCS'd, I immediately put a package with station. That package was subsequently shot down due to my low hours compared to others that were submitting packages (from original post: my orders were curtailed due to overstaffing of MV-22 pilots on the West coast). I am obviously unable to augment to MV-22 squadrons at the moment, and even if the squadrons were able to fly, their augments were only getting a handful of hours a month.

At this point, I am indeed going to rot away at the MAW for the next three years. At the end of these orders I will have 15 years in, I had every intention of making it a career and then transitioning to the airlines. After getting screwed over this bad there is no way I'm staying in, and now my dream of going to the airlines is (at the least) severely delayed due to not being able to fly.

The world is not ending. Apply again and eventually they’ll get you in the aircraft. Futemna is always hurting for co-pilots. Every year a crap ton of people rotate out of 1st MAW. You’re also on DIFOP orders, so they owe you CNAF mins (IIRC only 50 of which can be in a sim, unless waived). Yes, I know 1st MAW waives those all the time. Make a good enough impression to MCAS and maybe they’ll pull you over before your tour is up.

Worst case scenario is you ride out 3 years in 1st MAW, and you’re basically an extremely good shot/guaranteed for an MCAS or MATSG gig on the backside. If you can get your C-12/UC-35 qual at 1st MAW then It’s even better. You can still rush the airlines if you bag ~750hrs prior to retirement. Even then an extra 6 months to 1 year past 20 might make it worthwhile in the long run (based on your timing). Oki isn’t that bad, and frankly use the time to travel and see the rest of Asia vice fighting for flight time.

Everyone will have to eat a shit sandwich for orders at some point in their career. The frequency and duration of those orders is usually negotiable. I don’t have a lot of sympathy for dudes who do 1 fleet tour and are demanding flight time when there are dudes who have 4-6 FMF deployments and multiple crappy tours while trying to get ready for retirement as well. Perspective matters, and I get it your clock is ticking, too. However, you’re the low man on the totem pole at this point.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
@JimboSlicee - Recentlly assisted a fellow Navy helo dude to build his airplane category experience to ATP mins. A lot of it in a humble Cessna 172. Then multi engine experience in a Barron and a Piper Aztec. He paid for the ATP-CTP (Delta's) out of pocket, did the ATP checkride with the infamous "Gordo" in Georgia. With nothing but piston fixed wing time, ATP MEL complete and 1000 hours of Navy helo and primary flight training T-6 time, he was hired immediately at Spirit and then, after training and on OE in the Airbus, he was able to interview at United and was hired. He is currently on the 7 3. Some of the funding came from the Navy's career transition programs (COOL).

My point is it's very doable with your background. You are young and the forces of the universe are all on your side!

I got my ATP with Gordo in 2018. Good dude, and super chill to fly with. I was happy to have made the trip, and burned the week of leave. He had strong business then, and from what I've heard it's only gotten stronger.

Roger_Waveoff

pilot
The world is not ending. Apply again and eventually they’ll get you in the aircraft. Futemna is always hurting for co-pilots. Every year a crap ton of people rotate out of 1st MAW. You’re also on DIFOP orders, so they owe you CNAF mins (IIRC only 50 of which can be in a sim, unless waived). Yes, I know 1st MAW waives those all the time. Make a good enough impression to MCAS and maybe they’ll pull you over before your tour is up.

Worst case scenario is you ride out 3 years in 1st MAW, and you’re basically an extremely good shot/guaranteed for an MCAS or MATSG gig on the backside. If you can get your C-12/UC-35 qual at 1st MAW then It’s even better. You can still rush the airlines if you bag ~750hrs prior to retirement. Even then an extra 6 months to 1 year past 20 might make it worthwhile in the long run (based on your timing). Oki isn’t that bad, and frankly use the time to travel and see the rest of Asia vice fighting for flight time.

Everyone will have to eat a shit sandwich for orders at some point in their career. The frequency and duration of those orders is usually negotiable. I don’t have a lot of sympathy for dudes who do 1 fleet tour and are demanding flight time when there are dudes who have 4-6 FMF deployments and multiple crappy tours while trying to get ready for retirement as well. Perspective matters, and I get it your clock is ticking, too. However, you’re the low man on the totem pole at this point.
Maybe the people you know are having better luck than the people I know, but 750 hours as a prior military pilot isn’t currently going anywhere near as far as it did in 2021-2022 when the airlines went on their insane hiring spree.

An R-ATP will suffice for the regionals, NetJets (with 1,000 hours), maybe 1 of the LCCs…and that’s about it. Regionals in particular (due to their Captain shortage) are beginning to give a lot of transitioning military pilots the TBNT since there were so many over the last 5-6 years who got on, stayed for 1-2 years to get over the finish line to 1,500, and then jumped ship as soon as a major called, i.e., before upgrading to Captain.

R-ATP mins are not a guarantor of an airline job anymore, and @JimboSlicee and others in similar shoes need to fight for 1,000+, not just settle for 750. The good news is MV-22 pilot retention beyond initial contract is so bad right now that they’ll promote almost anyone to O-4, which means squadron DH tour, which may not mean as much flying as a Captain in their prime, but it at least means flying.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
Maybe the people you know are having better luck than the people I know, but 750 hours as a prior military pilot isn’t currently going anywhere near as far as it did in 2021-2022 when the airlines went on their insane hiring spree.

An R-ATP will suffice for the regionals, NetJets (with 1,000 hours), maybe 1 of the LCCs…and that’s about it. Regionals in particular (due to their Captain shortage) are beginning to give a lot of transitioning military pilots the TBNT since there were so many over the last 5-6 years who got on, stayed for 1-2 years to get over the finish line to 1,500, and then jumped ship as soon as a major called, i.e., before upgrading to Captain.

R-ATP mins are not a guarantor of an airline job anymore, and @JimboSlicee and others in similar shoes need to fight for 1,000+, not just settle for 750. The good news is MV-22 pilot retention beyond initial contract is so bad right now that they’ll promote almost anyone to O-4, which means squadron DH tour, which may not mean as much flying as a Captain in their prime, but it at least means flying.

You can easily bust those numbers in 3 years at MATSG or MCAS. Unless you have a better solution than bailing at 15 years with no pension, benefits, and rolling the dice at a guard unit - Then I’m all ears.

Roger_Waveoff

pilot
Anyway, back to the main topic at hand. It's been a little over 2 months since the entire V-22 fleet was grounded following the CV-22 crash off the coast of Japan. As everyone can imagine, that's done wonderful things for morale across the VMMs, not to mention crushed any sort of progression. The cherry on top has been the implications for the upcoming 15th MEU. 2 out of 3 work-ups, to include the certification exercise, were completed with zero V-22 participation. At this point, we're just wondering if it's going to be authorization for a one-shot to the boat and then the 10 planes (and all their pilots and enlisted aircrew) stay on deck purely as a "break glass in case of long-range emergency" option for the Command Element for 7 months.

Last edited:

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
There has been a lot of press on the DOD IG report in light of the grounding that the CMV-22 COD replacement is "not operationally suitable".

I feel for the VRC bubbas.

Roger_Waveoff

pilot

First real details we're getting about the CV-22 crash that led to this whole grounding nightmare.

At least from the article, it seems the CV-22 was en route with what we now know was a proprotor gearbox emergency to Yakushima, which is an untowered airport. The "flight information officer," who appears to be a sort of remote ATC (but in an advisory vice directive capacity) told the CV-22 to hold airborne because the runway was busy with departing commercial traffic. It appears the crew never declared an emergency, which presumably would have afforded them priority handling/assistance even in this weird hybrid between a true towered airport and a CTAF field. At some point while holding, the situation in the aircraft worsened and it came down more or less uncontrolled.

Unclear/undetermined as of yet whether this holding delay was causal to the mishap and whether or not the crew would have otherwise executed a safe landing. I can attest, at least from my experience in two different MV-22 squadrons, we are fairly hesitant to declare an emergency or say those magic words, "mayday" or "pan-pan." It's sparking some good ready room discussion about what a Land As Soon As Possible/Practical actually looks like and sounds like in detail (to include the involvement of ATC) and not just the canned description we all rattle off during our NATOPS briefs.