• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

All things Baseball

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
I was a pretty successful assistant coach of a Div III team. Playing year 'round is great, but I would highly encourage her not to specialize in a particular sport. The best athlete I ever coached played three sports, and was a first-team All American in all three. She never specialized.
My daughter had her first lacrosse practice today, will start softball this summer. Any tips you want to pass having been a coach?

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Is she in HS or college? What skill level?

We started way early - kindergarten. My daughter is high energy and I am trying to channel that exuberance into sports. Trying to figure out which sports she likes and has an aptitude for with the possibility of her playing in college (and having a scholarship to help pay for college). If its any difference, would prefer for her to attend college back in the Carolinas, Georgia or Tennessee.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
We started way early - kindergarten. My daughter is high energy and I am trying to channel that exuberance into sports. Trying to figure out which sports she likes and has an aptitude for with the possibility of her playing in college (and having a scholarship to help pay for college). If its any difference, would prefer for her to attend college back in the Carolinas, Georgia or Tennessee.
Keep her out of the SEC…that way she can maybe get an athletic scholarship AND an education! ?

number9

Contributor
I'd say figure out what she likes and go from there... don't worry about the aptitude for now. Don't be afraid to try multiple sports, and also don't be afraid to play multiple sports at the same time. The best athletes I ever coached were multi-sport athletes in HS and remained multi-sport in college.

Make sure she doesn't neglect her studies: grades matter for recruiting in the Ivy League, the little Ivies and the top-tier state schools. (I don't have experience with other schools.)

Last of all, you can't coach desire. If she doesn't want to play out of her own volition, don't drag her kicking and streaming. You can't want it more than she does.

GroundPounder

If she has any desire, steer her towards golf. Women's golf scholarships are easy to come by a schools that are trying to get their Title IX numbers right. Obviously the powerhouse golf schools are a high bar to entry, but there are some very good academic schools that have women's slot go vacant.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
I'd say figure out what she likes and go from there... don't worry about the aptitude for now. Don't be afraid to try multiple sports, and also don't be afraid to play multiple sports at the same time. The best athletes I ever coached were multi-sport athletes in HS and remained multi-sport in college.

Make sure she doesn't neglect her studies: grades matter for recruiting in the Ivy League, the little Ivies and the top-tier state schools. (I don't have experience with other schools.)

Last of all, you can't coach desire. If she doesn't want to play out of her own volition, don't drag her kicking and streaming. You can't want it more than she does.
Thanks for the info - at lacrosse practice now. Family has graduated from South Carolina, Clemson and Georgia- and if she wants to study business, USC in Columbia has a strong program with the Masters in International Business at the Darla Moore School of Business traditionally one of the best international business schools in the nation.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Opening Day 2022! The Atlanta Braves are defending the World Championship. And since it is baseball, a fantastic movies to start the year: Moneyball.

Play Ball !

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Crap weather here in DC, but the fans are already out drinking for opening day against the Mets.

taxi1

pilot
How can the Dodgers do this to baseball? Clayton Kershaw had a perfect game through 7 innings- and had only thrown 80 pitches - when he was pulled out of the game last night.

Because there is nothing more boring than a perfect game.

Perfectly boring.

TF7325

pilot
Contributor
And for something even stranger, the Rangers loaded the bases against the Angels - and then the Angels intentionally walked shortstop Cory Seager. Seems to happen maybe once a decade.

Probably better than chancing him hitting a grand slam. Reminds me when teams would do that to Barry Bonds.